High Protein Weight Gain :( What am i doing wrong

Options
hi everyone, i really need your guys help/advice.

i'm trying to lose 10 pounds, mainly focus on losing body fat. my starting weight was 127 lbs, and am now fluctuating between 130-132.. my goal is to get to 120. I am 5'5, with 22.4% body fat.

so, my meals mainly consist of.. high protein everyday.. clean eating, no processed junk.. no simplex carbs, all complex carbs. i aim for at least 130g and do low carb under 90g.

for the past month i've put on weight eating high protein. my workouts are mainly cardio which i am trying to burn fat.. love the elliptical and treadmill. i haven't been lifting much weights, so i don't understand what could be the gain other than eating high protein everyday. my sodium is really low, under 1,300. i honestly think it's the high protein? i do have about 2 whey protein shakes a day, as it keeps me full and helps up my protein.

has anyone experienced gaining weight from high protein, low carb?
i thought you lose weight with LOW carb.. so i am confused. would love some feed back...??

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If it puts you over your calorie allotment for the day, you'll gain weight. I don't really see you needing that much if you aren't lifting. And you SHOULD be.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You need to open up your diary to really allow people to give you an informed suggestion.
  • HealthyThinFit2012
    Options
    You need to open up your diary to really allow people to give you an informed suggestion.

my diary is open
  • HealthyThinFit2012
    Options
    If it puts you over your calorie allotment for the day, you'll gain weight. I don't really see you needing that much if you aren't lifting. And you SHOULD be.

so you're saying not to eat as much protein?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

so you're saying not to eat as much protein?

Not unless you're lifting. If you're only doing cardio you don't need that much protein. You probably need more carbs TBH. I don't know how you can function on that low amount of carbs and doing cardio at the same time.

but since you're trying to lose fat, really look into starting a strength training program.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Are your clothes getting tighter?
  • imoperationthin
    Options
    Most people eat high protein for the sole point of gaining muscle, but generally they are lifting huge amounts of weights and doing lots of repititions.

Personally, i believe protein is horrible for you anyways, but look at how much fat you are also eating with that excessive protein?!

that could possibly be the reason.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    hi everyone, i really need your guys help/advice.

i'm trying to lose 10 pounds, mainly focus on losing body fat. my starting weight was 127 lbs, and am now fluctuating between 130-132.. my goal is to get to 120. I am 5'5, with 22.4% body fat.

so, my meals mainly consist of.. high protein everyday.. clean eating, no processed junk.. no simplex carbs, all complex carbs. i aim for at least 130g and do low carb under 90g.

for the past month i've put on weight eating high protein. my workouts are mainly cardio which i am trying to burn fat.. love the elliptical and treadmill. i haven't been lifting much weights, so i don't understand what could be the gain other than eating high protein everyday. my sodium is really low, under 1,300. i honestly think it's the high protein? i do have about 2 whey protein shakes a day, as it keeps me full and helps up my protein.

has anyone experienced gaining weight from high protein, low carb?
    i thought you lose weight with LOW carb.. so i am confused. would love some feed back...??

Based on your height and body fat percentage, you are doing just fine. Chances are that trying to lose 10 pounds is completely unnecessary. Try lifting weight to get more muscle definition instead of focusing on a number on the scale.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    At 5'5" and only 22% body fat, unless you get super lean (like fitness model level or less), your goal weight doesn't seem very realistic. Assuming that you don't lose any lean body mass. You are probably gaining muscle. I personally think it would be more beneficial for you to measure in inches than in weight.
  • HealthyThinFit2012
    Options
    At 5'5" and only 22% body fat, unless you get super lean (like fitness model level or less), your goal weight doesn't seem very realistic. Assuming that you don't lose any lean body mass. You are probably gaining muscle. I personally think it would be more beneficial for you to measure in inches than in weight.

everyone's body is different though? honestly.
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with mes...you should probably up the carbs.
    From what I know, it's recommended to not eat less that 45% of your calories from carbs. Adults and children need about 130g of carbs a day minimum. Eating so few carbs might be upping your fat intake without you realizing it...

Also, if you LOOK leaner but your weight went up, who cares?
  • HealthyThinFit2012
    Options

yes.. i've measured by inches too.. :(
  • HealthyThinFit2012
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with mes...you should probably up the carbs.
    From what I know, it's recommended to not eat less that 45% of your calories from carbs. Adults and children need about 130g of carbs a day minimum. Eating so few carbs might be upping your fat intake without you realizing it...

Also, if you LOOK leaner but your weight went up, who cares?

i don't look leaner, that's the thing. otherwise i wouldn't be asking for advice.

so.. up my carbs and drop my protein? how much protein do you guys thinki should be eating?
  • NeedaSpankin
    Options
    I just started researching this same issue!! For me it was the protein powder, even though I wasn't even using that much. It certainly is not the case for everyone, but protein powders make ME gain weight.

Research has proven that even though they are pure protein they have a relatively high GI and cause an insulin spike which changes the way your body processes that protein as compared to lean animal sources. Like I am, you may be insulin sensitive (even though not diabetic.) Try dropping the protein powders and opt for more "standard" forms of protein. I did that this week, and am back on track.

I go minimal grain carbs (all early in the day,) lots of veggies, lean protein and a fair amount of low fat or fat free dairy.

Let us know how you do.
  • HealthyThinFit2012
    Options
    I just started researching this same issue!! For me it was the protein powder, even though I wasn't even using that much. It certainly is not the case for everyone, but protein powders make ME gain weight.

Research has proven that even though they are pure protein they have a relatively high GI and cause an insulin spike which changes the way your body processes that protein as compared to lean animal sources. Like I am, you may be insulin sensitive (even though not diabetic.) Try dropping the protein powders and opt for more "standard" forms of protein. I did that this week, and am back on track.

I go minimal grain carbs (all early in the day,) lots of veggies, lean protein and a fair amount of low fat or fat free dairy.

Let us know how you do.

ah i am so glad to hear someone going through the same situation. will give it a try, thx!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Based on your diary you are eating way over 50% protein. That is very very high IMO. Too much protein over time can mess up your kidneys.

Personally, I put mine to 40carb/30fat/30protein. It has worked very well for me.
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    According to your stats you need to be netting 1415 each day in order to lose weight. you are not eating enough http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html will show you what ur BMR should be (which is the number i just gave you) you can also calculate ur TDEE here too which is 2194. basically you need to burn 779each day in order to lose weight (2194-1415= 779 cals burned).
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options

yes.. i've measured by inches too.. :(

I would think its overall calorie intake, not just of the protein variety. Are you really burning as many calories as you think you are?
    The diary looks great in my humble opinion but it doesnt go back far enough.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    If you are doing cardio, eat carbs.

If you are doing strength training, eat protein.

If you are doing a mixed workout, eat both.