Popcorn....yes...again

Options
2»

Replies

• elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    wow....lots of interesting info here!:) thanks guys :)
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For the amount of Popcorn I go thru with the wife it is WAY cheaper to buy a big bag of kernels and stove pop it. I usualy use 1 tbls of Coconut oil and pop about 10 cups worth every time. then add generic popcorn from the list and split the oil between us. ( could also air pop but I like the coconut flavor I get with the stove top.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn almost every day - I buy the big bags of kernels and we pop in it a brown paper bag in the microwave. :bigsmile: Then we add our own butter, salt, Parmesan cheese or whatever we want. I have to admit I love it with good old butter and salt, but at least I control the amount, and it's all natural - no weird flavorings or colorings. And soooo much cheaper than buying the microwave stuff.

Try it - I put 1/4 cup (the serving size listed on the bag) of kernels in a bag (lunch bag size), fold it down a couple of times and cook it on the popcorn setting on my microwave. Comes out perfect every time!

Be careful!!! I was doing the brown bag method until it started a fire... Twice. Haha. Now I bought a microwavable bowl that's made for this purpose at Target.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I usually stay right by the micro while it's popping, since I usually have to add 30 seconds near the end of the time. I will watch for flames! :tongue:
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Well it takes a very stupid person to let it happen once, let alone twice, so you probably aren't in any danger. Stupidity was my fault, I walked away... Twice.

Seriously. What was I thinking?
  • btgawedz
    Options
    Someone kindly explain to me how a 100 calorie pack of popcorn, which is a small bag and very dry, is only 40 calories less than an entire bag of, say Pop Secret movie theater butter popcorn, which is 3 times the amount of popcorn and dripping in butter? Confused, because for 40 calories difference I know which one I am picking?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Made some today for my son so loving the ideas in this thread. Think I'll start eating it more myself.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Someone kindly explain to me how a 100 calorie pack of popcorn, which is a small bag and very dry, is only 40 calories less than an entire bag of, say Pop Secret movie theater butter popcorn, which is 3 times the amount of popcorn and dripping in butter? Confused, because for 40 calories difference I know which one I am picking?

because science.

also, best threadnecro I've seen today.
  • christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For the amount of Popcorn I go thru with the wife it is WAY cheaper to buy a big bag of kernels and stove pop it. I usualy use 1 tbls of Coconut oil and pop about 10 cups worth every time. then add generic popcorn from the list and split the oil between us. ( could also air pop but I like the coconut flavor I get with the stove top.

Same here! Coconut oil makes the best popcorn as far as I'm concerned. I've tried two kinds for this: LuAn (the cheap stuff from the grocery) and Organic Coconut oil from Trader Joe's. The difference in flavor is astounding to me. The TJ's Organic makes the most delicious popcorn I've ever had - and yes, there is a subtle coconut flavor with TJs, but I could detect none with the LuAn's
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Same here! Coconut oil makes the best popcorn as far as I'm concerned. I've tried two kinds for this: LuAn (the cheap stuff from the grocery) and Organic Coconut oil from Trader Joe's. The difference in flavor is astounding to me. The TJ's Organic makes the most delicious popcorn I've ever had - and yes, there is a subtle coconut flavor with TJs, but I could detect none with the LuAn's

Can you detail how to make it on the stove? How much butter do you use?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Can you detail how to make it on the stove? How much butter do you use?

Here

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/perfect-popcorn/18871.html