I hate exercise

Options
I've been a bit better lately with portion control. Few slip ups with eating choices but I'm getting there slowly.
My main issue I think is exercise. I'm not interested in it at all.
I can't seem to find enough motivation to actually do any and I feel tired all the time.
I've got exercise videos galore but don't really enjoy it. I can't afford to go to the gym or classes.
I'm guessing the only other thing is walking but I don't feel it does anything and I can't do it while also doing something else.

Basically I guess I'm just looking for some suggestions on motivation and exercises. I can't get myself to do exercise ball workouts or videos more than two days in a row because I get bored.
I just read on a site that a 80kg (176lb) women is considered a plus side model. Which is very disheartening.
I'm not happy with my body at all, why isn't that enough to get me moving?!

I get an hour for lunch every weekday, I do walk around for that hour but it doesn't change anything.

Replies

• greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I really dont have an answer but I can tell you I was the same way. I guess you just have to either want it enough or hate the way you are enough. I had an aha moment, in two parts. part one went with my sister to help her pick a wedding dress while taking pics of her in dresses I caught my reflection and was horrified at how much my stomach stuck out and two we went to try on brides maid dresses and i was twice the size of the other two and just felt this is enough, i cant be this way, any more. and it started there, I still HATE working out, and I whine at evey exersice i dont like, but i make myself do it. I tried running but I have terrible hips and that didn't work out, so now I just do the biggest loser on the xbox kinect and it kicks my butt and I am seeing results slowly but enough to keep me going. Good luck! I hope this helped you out at all.
  • marjolycookie
    marjolycookie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too! Some day I hope to get over the hate, but I hear ya.

One thing that worked for me was walking around outside. Keep a brisk pace and commit to keep going for several miles. When you go walking during lunch, is it enough to get your heart rate up at all? I tried listening to my ipod but got bored of that. So, I started taking my phone with me and use a bluetooth headset to talk to friends/family. It was great for me to get back in touch and stay in touch with people who are important to me. Even better to find a friend that wants to go walking with you... especially a friend with a dog, they are always down for going for a walk!

I always feel great AFTER exercise but never before. More energy and happier in general. The less I exercise the more tired I become in general, which is a nasty downward spiral. Best of luck!
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The only things I've ever liked were rollerblading, (not practical in busy metropolitan areas), Skiing (global warming seems to be making that a lot less fun and now i can't afford it anyway) and spinning. I also used to like kickboxing - but i ended up wanting to kick some of the other women in the class - you know the ones - who think that they own a "Spot" on the floor, and that you should know which "spot" is theirs? Also, i figured out that i can't do spin classes because I'm a control freak and don't like to listen to unmotivational music. So i bought my own spin bike, spent a year hanging dry cleaning on it, and have started using it. i try to just focus on the endorphins,and not so much on the actual activity. I think we should develop some kind of drug that you can take that makes you stoned while you work out. Maybe then it wouldn't be so awful. I work for a pharmaceutical company, maybe i'll find some scientist and propose the idea.
  • Appleness
    Appleness Posts: 38
    Options
    @Marjolycookie
    Walking at lunch doesn't really feel like its working anything so I doubt it gets my heart rate up.
    My partner is definitely not an active person so I can't get him to do any exercise with me, and I currently don't have any friends where I live cause I moved.
    But I think walking is the way to go. I just need to get the motivation to get up and tell myself just to do it :)

@greenmm25
    I have those moments alot. I've given up looking at clothes to buy because nothing fits. Unfortunately its not enough to make me do something. I used to have a wii and wii fit, but we sold it and got a ps3. I have the mel b workout and the fitness game with the heart monitor straps - they're a bit high impact though and caused a lot of pain in my knees so I stopped that too...
    I might have a look to see if there is any other fitness games out there for the ps3, or something I can download for my phone.

But it's nice to hear that I'm not alone in my hatred for exercise :)
    Just need to take it a day at a time and tell myself "you know what, just do it. Your overweight and its not good for your heath."
  • Appleness
    Appleness Posts: 38
    Options
    @stacivouge lol! that would be great! I'd sign up to be a test subject if that helps? :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How about the Wii or Kinect? I love Wii boxing and Just Dance - so much fun. I just ordered Zumba and will probably buy another boxing game. I also have EA Sports Fitness which kicks my butt so I don't do it as much as I should!
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Check out youtube, there are several 10 minute aerobic or Zumba workouts that you can do at home. You can just turn the moniter to go along with it. I've had to mix up the cardio because I get burnt out. Best of luck to you!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Schedule it in and just do it!
    Walking can certainly get your heart rate up - find something you like to listen to (music, audiobooks, podcasts etc) and GO.
    Set yourself a goal of x mins per week and keep walking till you get there.
  • Emporor_Augustus
    Options
    One of the things that makes me motivated and actually keeps me challenged all throughout the day is mini-calorie burns. Turn EVERYTHING you do into exercise. Even if it's not a lot, it's something, and you don't have to expend too much energy or psych yourself up to go "do exercise".

Google "Exercises you can do while sitting" and stuff like that. If nothing else, it will get you toned. Every time you get up to use the bathroom, or get a drink, do a little jog on the spot, do some jumping jacks. When you have to go out, take the stairs instead of elevators/escalators. Use stuff around your house as weights. And you know what's always awesome? Swimming. You should find a community pool that has "free swim" day (most pools do).

Just some thoughts...
  • ScotiaGirl69
    Options
    Exercise.. yuck lol

When I call it "exercise", it turns me off. Exercise is a word I think I've learned to associate with negative feelings and emotions. My ex used to wave a hotdog he was eating in front of me, as I would be heading out the door for my walk -aka- *exercise*. He also would tell me he loved me as I was, and yet laughed and made fun of my efforts to *exercise*. Good riddance to that lol My father also used the word *exercise* in ways that were mean. So I wont do it now, nope. I HATE exercise.

But I love going swimming with the kids, playing Frisbee on the beach, enjoying the fresh air out on a walk... I also like playing the Wii, playing horse shoes, tossing basketballs, shooting pucks, riding my bike and catching softballs in the summer. But I wont do *exercise*, nope I wont. I hate it.

What I'm saying is.... dont 'exercise' if you hate it, because it will become something you dread and dislike. Find fun things you like, and do them instead. You might find that you really like doing some stuff - like kickboxing or hiking. Its all in how you look at it.
    :)
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Hiya

I must admit I felt the same a few months ago! Just the idea of it.. :huh: :yawn:

Started a little bit every week, very slowly started jogging, loved the buzz of it. Now doing some strength exercise as well. (30 day shred and xbox biggest loser game etc).

Now if I don't exercise, within 2 or 3 days I feel sluggish and desperate to do something as it gives a lot more energy than it takes! Just start small and build it up. It is so good for your mind as well! Good luck!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You'll find the answers you need in your own words.

You said yourself - you 'can't get' yourself to do exercise. Before you even start you're associating exercise with so much negativity its hardly a surprise you're hating it.

You have to change your mentality if you really want your goals . Be positive about it . Instead of saying 'I have to exercise', say 'I get to exercise'. Look forward to it! The trick is in how you think about it.

I wanted to lose weight for so many years and was really unhappy with my body. But I wasn't looking at exercise as a tool to get what I want. I saw it as a chore. And no one enjoys their chores !

If you want your goals badly enough , exercise becomes more than just a routine . It becomes a break away from the busy days . I love running with no music because it gives me time to think while I get a much needed burn .

Not to sound awful but you won't get anywhere placing road blocks in your path with negative thoughts. Break them down !
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just haven't found the exercise you like yet?
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Not me, I love the way it makes me feel, whether I'm at the gym doing wieghts/cardio or outside running on a beautiful day, well all I can say is that its not only good for the body, but its good for the soul.
  • simples88
    simples88 Posts: 51
    Options
    Walking will make a difference. You can pick up a reasonably priced pedometer to challenge yourself to walk more. What about the weekends and evenings? Your weight loss and your motivation will increase when you see results.
    Even changing your routines..walking to the shop, getting of the bus a stop early etc will help.

You will get support on MFP but ultimately this has to be a decision you make to change your lifestyle, it will be hard but there are no overnight or magical solutions. You will get out of this lifestyle change what you put in with hard work.
  • Jostring73
    Jostring73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello there,
    I'm not keen on exercise at all and I do it in bouts.
    I tend to feel the need to exercise after I have eated my evening meal when I get home from work.
    I wait an hour after eating and then I feel the urge to do something instead of sitting on my *kitten* in front of the tv.
    If I watch tv I get the snack attacks too so not good.
    If I don't feel like doing my step or going for a quick walk, I clean! It burns calories and your house is spotless!
    I feel calmer when the house is clean too and I have a sense of achievement!
    You don't have to do its every day, maybe plan to do something every other day or so many times a week, that's how I'm tackling it.
    Good luck x
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My Mother lost 80 pounds in 6 months by changing her diet and walking 4 miles a day- so, walking certainly can help you to lose weight. When I first started losing weight, walking was the only form of exercise I could do. Now I do Tae Bo and I absolutely love it! I workout every day- I see it as part of my daily routine. It used to take me so long to find the motivation to workout, but now I love doing it and I actually feel terrible if I skip a day. You just have to find something you really enjoy and stick with it :)
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bike or can you borrow one?

Get up an hour earlier that normal and go for a little bike ride. This will boost your metabolism for the rest of the day and it's got your exercise out of the way so you don't have to worry about finding the motivation after work :smile:
  • LoopyLaura68
    LoopyLaura68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i don't like it exercise either,but feel great after i've done it.walking is good,so try & carry on with that.i'm using your shape fitness evolved on the kinect,have done it twice this week(only started this last week) & on the first day of it had to 2 x 30 minutes workout.rested then for 2 days & then managed a 60 minute workout.yes it was hard,but you need to push yourself,to an extent,through it.the more you do it the easier it will become.i also have dancing games,which are great too.just dance 3 is what i've been using,you can get this on the PS3 & it has a mix of slow & fast paced songs.
    i'm also thinking of downloading the C25K workout for my ipod & trying that in a few weeks,waiting for my youngest to start school first after easter,so i have the time to go out & do it.i'm no runner/jogger,never have been but it's sounds quite good.
    good luck & hope you find something :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I don't call it exercise either.

I did walking for the longest time when I started. I work nights and take walking breaks. During the winter when it snowed I go outside and pretended I was flying through space while listening to music. Star Wars helped alot. Star Trek as well...a little.. :tongue:

When I got bored with walking I started incorpating hills and stairs. Then slogging (slow jog). I gotta train for upcoming zombie apocalypse. It's true, dont let others think you are crazy. :laugh:

I also do Zumba in a class. But I suck:sad: yet I have fun so I still go:laugh: even though I stick out alot. used to be 3 guys iny my class but now it's just me and 20-30 other ladies, flailing about like a drunk monkey.

I swim too at my YMCA pool. important thing is to find what you like and not think of it as exercise.

Oh and I hate weights. I find it boring but I still do it. I don't wanna be bean pole thin....so I do it