Is there a difference?/

Options
is there a difference between the amount of calories you burn running/jogging in place and outside??

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    is there a difference between the amount of calories you burn running/jogging in place and outside??

I would think there would HAVE to be. I jog in place almost daily while watching tv, and do just fine. I tried jogging outside and got sooo winded and pooped out in no time flat! :blushing:
    So jogging outside has GOT to burn lots more I'd think. I guess the best way of knowing would be to wear an HRM. :smile:
  • slingblade
    slingblade Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes. The same is true for running on a treadmill. As an avid runner, who runs on a treadmill ocasionally, the exertion in genuine running/jogging is much greater. Instead of the belt moving under you, you must constantly propel your weight. From that comparison, you can see that the difference in running in place and jogging outside would be considerably different,-- Plus there is no stride in running in place. However, if you are unable to run outside (weather, kids, health, etc.) running in place is better than sitting on the couch. To increase the intensisty, try shadow boxing or kicks at a reasonable level.