How much weight could I lose (realistically?)

Options
I'm planning a trip to visit a close friend in New York in August and I'd like to drop some weight and get in shape before then (lots of walking and meeting new people and what not).

I'm 5'3" and weigh 175.

How much could I lose between now and then with diet and exercise (the healthy way)?

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'd say 20-30 pounds if you were very consistent with your losses.
  • Meeperslove
    Meeperslove Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would say about 20lbs.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    impossible to say, but I wouldn't plan on it being more than 25-30lbs, counting minor plateaus and bumps along the way.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'd say 20-30 pounds if you were very consistent with your losses.

i agree with this :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to predict. Some people lose rapidly and some people don't. I lose slowly.
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    ive always heard that you should only lose 1-2 pounds per week if you are on a healthy weight loss plan.

The week before you go, try to lose extra water weight by cutting out almost all your sodium (no processed foods), limit your carbs or anything that causes bloating. This will help you lose any 'puffiness' and makes your clothes fit a little looser. Good luck!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to predict. Some people lose rapidly and some people don't. I lose slowly.
    Exactly. For exemple i lost 20 pounds while one of my friend lost 100 pounds in the exact same time. Just do the best, don´t quit and i can promiss you you will be lighter in august then you are right now :)
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    Hard to say, I'm 5'2" started at 153 and have lost 18 pounds in 2 1/2 months I'm starting to slow down but still losing. I'm now losing at about 1 to .75 per week. I do cardio about 6-7 hours a week and 2 hours of Pilates. I hope this helps
  • 4boysandme
    Options
    I have lost 28 lbs in 5 months. That is with consistent cardio/weights/circut training 6 days a week and sticking to a 1400-1500 calorie diet (most days).
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I looked back at my records and I went from 175 to 138 in that amount of time (September 14 - February 10). That's a 37 lb loss and I'm 5'4"...

I'll say this...it takes 100% focus and determination.
  • vieilleame
    vieilleame Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses! I was thinking 30 pounds and to have that reaffirmed feels wonderful. I'm happy that I'm setting achievable goals for myself and not getting TOO carried away.

Did you just count calories and exercise? What did your diets look like? I've been counting calories but I know that alone isn't enough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!