Healthy packed lunches

Options
ldpboise
ldpboise Posts: 10 Member
Hi there everyone!

I am looking for some good ideas for packing lunches for work. On a budget as most. =) Something easy that may be able to be made the night before would be nice. Thanks for your ideas!

LeAnn

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    sandwiches without mayo or mustard last overnight :happy:

and fruit! :love:
  • bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps last overnight, taste yummy, and are easy on the budget. You can use tuna salad, chicken salad, or lunch meat wrap it in a leaf or two of lettuce and you are ready to go. Pair it with some fruit and water and you have a nice healthy lunch that tastes good and is light on the budget. Enjoy.
  • BeeLinda
    BeeLinda Posts: 1
    Options
    I take a variety of small portion convenience foods for lunch everyday. Most I bring in on Monday, label with my name, and then don't worry about the having something healthy to eat for the rest of the week. I mix and match the following:
    small oranges (about 4/$1 right now in my grocery store)
    small servings of low-fat cottage cheese (about 90 cals each; about $.60/serving)
    edamame
    laughing cow cheese wedges (makes a good sauce for the edamame)
    low-fat yogurt (I splurge here -- I only buy nonaspertame/organic; runs about $.80 each)
    sliced tomatoes drizzled with balsamic dressing
    roasted brussel sprouts (whole bag is about $1/ about 4 servings per bag)
    roasted sweet potatoes
    slices of turkey
    small container of walnuts
    canned pumpkin (about $.80/can; three servings per can)
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Salads! Add in some tuna, leftover grilled chicken or steak.
  • clarkcj
    clarkcj Posts: 18
    Options
    Hummus & pita slices can just be pulled out of the fridge first thing in the morning. If you'll invest in a lunch bag and a freezer 'cool it' pack then you can take just about anything you want. I'm gone from 7 am until 9 pm with classes / work during the semster. I've successfully packed lunch & dinner in a small lunch bag with items including yogurt, pre-sliced fruit / veggies, cold cut sammies, tuna/egg salad etc. Baby carrots travel exceptionally well.

Tip: I bought a $1 Wonder Bread sandwich holder where I keep my bread. It doesn't get squished or damp and I can just open up my tupperwear of egg salad, deli meat & cheese, etc and quickly put together a healthy lunch.

Other things i've enjoyed as snacks that can just be tossed in your purse / bag and go are homemade trail mix, graham crackers & peanut butter, seeds / nuts, or 50/100 calorie packs.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    In my Yu-Ghi-Oh lunchbox (hand me down from my son :laugh: ) I pack both my lunch and one or two snacks, so it's bulging when I go to work.

There's usually veggies and hummus. Fage 2% or cottage cheese with fruit is another staple. Sometimes there's cheese and crackers. And those are just the snacks!

Many times, I just take leftovers for my lunch. A chunk of meat, rice, and a veggie can be had for around 300-400 calories. Sometimes I do a sandwich or a wrap. Just be careful if you use lunchmeats, because they can be high in sodium. Sometimes I take a salad, but it's a HUGE salad. I have spinach, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, raisins, garbanzos, and several chunks of meat or crab.

Then, in my desk drawer, I've got some Southbeach Diet cereal bars, some natural applesauce single serve containers, a box of folgers singles, and some splenda. Oh, and a couple of baggies with protein shake mix, but I have to remember to buy some cartons of milk, if I'm going to use those. They say that it can be mixed with water, but I'll only do that if I absolutely have to.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    apple and peanut butter for morning snack

Veggies and hummus for lunch

almonds and pineapple for afternoon snack

yum yum
  • ldpboise
    ldpboise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So helpful! Thank you do much. I will be adapting my shopping list!:wink: