need help with staying full the healthy way.

Options
Hey Guys..

I've been eating 5 healthy meals a day and trying to stay within or below my caloric intake. I exercise almost daily for at least an hour and I drink plenty of water. However, I've noticed a trend and it's starting to catch my attention.

I tend to get extremely hungry in between snacks and meals, and especially after dinner. I've come to the conclusion that the snacks I'm choosing aren't fulfilling enough even though they are healthy. Do you guys have any tips for me on having filling, satisfying but healthy snacks to keep me going through the day?

Ps. I'm migraine prone, and they tend to be worse when I don't eat when I'm hungry so it's pretty important that I find some good snacks. Thanks!

Replies

• sarachana
    sarachana Posts: 24
    Options
    i also get insane migraines and i need to eat to control them. i also find that bland foods are the best for me for snacking. before i started dieting that meant a bowl of plain pasta was ideal for me (uch) now i usually have some air popped popcorn (kernels and salt in a bowl in the microwave with a cover for 5 min). its 100 calories for 3 cups (popped) so if u eat it slowly it lasts a really really long time.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    eating mainly healthy foods keep me so full. so the days that i cheat i cheat a lot, but rarely a little bit.

try eating veggies for your snacks you can even make them into mini salads with a healthy dressing, they are so low cal you get to eat like twice as many. or some fruits, like grapes or berries.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Keeping in mind that I have not seen your food diary and am just assuming that you are eating good foods...my suggestion is to make sure you having protein at each of your main meals since protein keeps you fuller longer and just keep your snacks the same... or even add one more.
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Check your fat intake as well as your calories. Fat makes you full. Make sure you have Good, Healthy fats with each meal and lots of protien. They both trigger satiety chemicals. I don't know what you are eating, but that is my first thought.

Also, when you feel that hunger arise, drink a glass of water, brush your teeth and wait 20 minutes. If you still feel physically hungry then eat something with alot of protien. If your not physically hungry anymore, then its possible that whatever you ate last triggered a craving. Maybe it had refined flour or sugar, which can trigger a hunger attack.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with Valtishia. Make sure you have protein. As well have more fibre, it keeps you feeling full longer.

A great snack is a tablespoon of peanut butter with an apple. Veggies with hummus are also filling.
    Have a small handful of almonds with some fruit. All of these will keep you feeling fuller longer
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i have a similar problem........ i find that adding more protein usually helps. Having eggs for breakfast starts the day off on a full stomach and then cutting an apple and eating it throughout the day is good too - the fiber keeps me full. Also, cottage cheese and peanut butter is a good afternoon snack! :happy: other than that, keeping on top of water intake is so important b/c when ur thirsty sometimes, ur body will confuse u into thinking it wants food. Brush ur teeth after each meal.
    :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Check your fat intake as well as your calories. Fat makes you full. Make sure you have Good, Healthy fats with each meal and lots of protien. They both trigger satiety chemicals. I don't know what you are eating, but that is my first thought.

Also, when you feel that hunger arise, drink a glass of water, brush your teeth and wait 20 minutes. If you still feel physically hungry then eat something with alot of protien. If your not physically hungry anymore, then its possible that whatever you ate last triggered a craving. Maybe it had refined flour or sugar, which can trigger a hunger attack.

I was going to say fat. I too have mean migraines, and not eating is a trigger. When I started out my new lifestyle, I was eating very low fat-bland foods. I would have egg whites. 1 pc ww toast with no butter and 1/2 orange. To give an idea............I added in the whole egg and 1'/2 tsp butter and my migraines went away.

This is an example. I use 1 tsp-tbls of Olive Oil at lunch

Peanut butter and WW crackers for snack

Carrots and hummus for snack

If you can eat cheese (trigger for some ppl) 1 oz cheese and 5 triscuits.

dinner I was a bit lower on carbs and fat......

Good luck!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    You can do what I do (for now) -- make a huge batch of low-fat cole slaw (use low-fat mayo and miracle whip). and eat that by the cup)... Very healthy, and low - cost, - and it makes you feel full.