My Cancer Story: Fitness Motivation

I was diagnosed with asthma as an infant (which wasn't as common 29 years ago). One of the triggers is exercise; I need to use a steroid inhaler every day to manage the disease, and use a 'rescue inhaler' every time I do cardio exercise.
In May of 2007 I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and started chemo 2 weeks later.
In October of 2007 the chemo started causing a fibrosis in my lungs. Basically, I was breathing in oxygen but it wasn't crossing from my lungs to my bloodstream. Getting out of bed felt like a marathon and I was facing life in a wheelchair with oxygen if the intensive steroid therapy didn't work. Even with the treatment, I was told I lost approximately 15% of my lung capacity.
In January 2008 I started radiation treatment, which was concentrated between my neck and my abdomen. I was told that I was further damaging my lung tissue and might develop lung and heart disease in my 30's and 40's.
In July 2010 I gave birth to my son, and (surprise) had my daughter in November 2011.

Tonight I broke a 12 minute mile for the first time in my life. Using interval running, I've completed a 6 mile run and am training for a half marathon in May.
Don't ever believe the lie that you can't do something. Don't submit to the fear of pain, rejection, failure, etc. You were created to do more than you can imagine!! Please don't be discouraged if the road seems long, or you seem to only be taking baby steps, or things just aren't moving fast enough for you. YOU CAN DO IT!

Replies