I feel so HUNGRY all the time

Options
Hey all,

I am on day five of my healthy eating diet. I am doing really good with my calorie count. I am eating lots of low fat protein and high fiber fruits and veggies. I still feel hungry all the time!!!! Not that shaky hungry but that Oh I am just not quite satisfied and could eat another 3 lbs of chicken meat.

Any explanations as to why???

thanks,

Stacey

Replies

• svanes
    svanes Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey all,

I am on day five of my healthy eating diet. I am doing really good with my calorie count. I am eating lots of low fat protein and high fiber fruits and veggies. I still feel hungry all the time!!!! Not that shaky hungry but that Oh I am just not quite satisfied and could eat another 3 lbs of chicken meat.

Any explanations as to why???

thanks,

Stacey
  • Kbrain228
    Options
    I'm on day 5 as well and I'm having to eat more than I want to! I tend to consume to few calories! How many calories are you eating? I'm sorry I don't have any real good advice as I'm new to this to however all I can say is hang in there and don't give up we are all here for you!
  • tdroseler
    tdroseler Posts: 165
    Options
    it is pretty normal to feel that way. Your body is used to getting more. Try drinking more; water, herbal teas, even diet drinks, in moderation. Often we are so used to eating when we feel "hungry" that we don't recognise that it is thirst we feel.
    What caloric plan are you following, perhaps it is too low?
    Even if it is the proper amount, allow your self, for the time being to have more fresh vegetables. These are much lower in calories, and many actually take more calories to digest, than the calories they add to your diet. Plus this way you are encouraging the good habit of eating healthy snacks, and not giving into "junk" foods.
    Kepp at it, it does get easier, and in time you stomach will shrink. Then...you will be "complaining" you are too full...wouldn't that be something ;)
  • svanes
    svanes Posts: 3
    Options
    I am taking in around 2000 calories a day because I am breast feeding. It isn't that shaky under nourished hungry so I think my caloric intake is adequate. I drink about 100 oz of water a day, again because I am breast feeding. For snacks I do think like apples, broccoli and hard boiled eggs. Any other suggestions?

Stacey
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    How long have you been breastfeeding? I know it took me about two months for my body to get back on track after giving birth. If you are past that, realize that part of what you are feeling may be things moving back to where they're supposed to be. Your uterus will continue to contract & shift back up for some time and it left me with a rumbling tummy feeling. When you feel it, do crunches to get the abs into the game. It will help your core, and take your mind off the emptyness. 9-months is a long time to be "full" and then suddenly drop 15+ lbs! Keep it up, and kudos for breastfeeding!
  • agitch
    agitch Posts: 47
    Options
    I also am fighting the urge to eat. An apple with 2tbsp. low fat caramel is very filling. I had a huge turkey sandwich on toasted sourdough bread (3oz. turkey), lots of tomatoe, lettuce and a kosher pickle, that was very filling. This is my third day and I was eating so much of the wrong foods before it was hard for me to make changes. I weighed in on my first day 272lbs., if I can do it so can you. I have been feeling better keeping full so I won't get urges. I try to find the most filling foods with good nutrition. Peace Out...AGITCH
  • sungirl
    Options
    Hi, with 2000 calories you should not feel hungry, even with breast feeding. I am curious to know what you eat in a day? Breakfast is a very important meal! You should have protein at every meal and if you are hungry eat some protein in your snack time as well. The protein helps with the hunger. IFor breakfast you could have oatmeal with skim milk or yogurt and a piece of toast and a fruit. If you make vegetable soup with Campbells chicken stock as a base it is low in calories and lots of non starchy vegetables are very low in calories but this will help fill you up. For lunch you can have 2 bowls of soup and a sandwich made with a protein like low calorie non fat chicken with very low calorie mayo and lettuce and tomatoe and cucumber on a healthy 9 grain bread. Keep your starch's to 80 calories a serving. you should have 3-4 fruits a day try to avoid bananas, as they are full of sugar. A mid morning shake made of crused ice, frozen berries, non fat yoguart, protin powder preferably chocolate or strawberry and water, all blended is filling and will stop the hunger. Afternoon snack have some cheese and apple, or almonds (only 8 a day). Supper, have a 3 oz. protein meat like fish, chicken etc. with lots of vegetables or / salad. Keep in mind you should have 3 proteins, 3 fruits, 2-3 starch's and 3-4 vegetables a day. If you can find Protidiet protein supplements, they have lots of choices for the snacks which give you your protein and low on calories. I hope this helps.
  • rglatthaar
    Options
    Drink more water when you feel hungry. As a competive cyclist as a young man, I had a coach that said if you are not urinating once to twice a night you are likely dehydrated. Try water.
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    The hungry feeling will ease up......you are still getting your body used to eating less. You will adjust. I hit the 5 wk mark today, and there are still times that it is a definite conscious effort to NOT eat. Using this website to help with my weight loss has taught me that I was becoming quite a glutton!!! Not necessarily eating way too much, but I was constantly eating.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Always have some protein with your complex carbohydrates. The carbs will cause your blood sugar to spike then plummet which in turn will cause you to start craving more food. So if you have an apple (or other fruit) have a table spoon of peanut butter or ¾ to an ounce of cheese with it. Land O Lake makes individually wrapped cheese slices that I just love. They are quick easy just ¾ of an ounce, 80 calories each and really good plus the measuring is already done for me.
    At meals we usually remember to have some protein and it is our snacks that we tend to forget about it….at least that is what I have noticed with me.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Hey, rglatthaar, that is good to hear. My husband thinks I am weird because I ALWAYs have to get up once or twice a night!
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I would try to stay away from big meals too. Your stomach expands and it is hard to get out of the hungery feeling when your stomach is big and empty. I don't eat any big meals - which was hard at first. But now I feel full quite easily. I have a hard time eating enough.
  • nbuehrmann
    nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always found the first week of starting to diet the hardest. For me I sip water constantly and try to keep busy to keep my mind off of it. Hang in there and it will get easier!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have times that I feel hungry all the time and I really don't have a great explanation for it. However I have found that as long as I eat healthy and stay away from the things that are sometimes the easiest to reach for it helps. One of my standby meals I enjoy and can prepare ahead of time I posted awhile ago. Keep us the good work it takes alot of commitment to breastfeed and lose weight at the same time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/623-tasty-meal