I would love ideas on how to shed these lbs

Options
Im new to the whole exercise and weightloss thing and so I would love some advice on how to get into shape and work off this weight. Ive never really worked out before, but I do know that i'd rather be outside than cooped up in a gym. Also, im new to the site and would love to have some friends for moral support and guidance. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to have their own ideas on the "right" way to lose weight, but here's my thoughts:

- eat less. Not too little, not too much. Set your MFP goal to "lose 1/2 pound a week" or "lose 1 pound a week" and eat the calories recommended. Plus the calories you burn from exercise. Trust me, it does make sense!
    You don't have to eat "diet" food. Just eat a moderate amount of real food, with lots of fruits and veggies.

- move more. Not too little, not too much. It doesn't really matter what you do, the important thing is to find something that you enjoy and can keep on doing. If you want to be outside, then walk, run, ride, rollerblade, dance, walk the dog, rake the yard, week the garden... anything, just move.
    You don't have to workout 2 hours a day, that's just not necessary.

- bon't buy into any fancy schmancy pills or potions or programs.... eating a bit less and moving a bit more is going to have the same effect but save you a heap of money and a heap of stress.

- don't give up if you have one (or more than one!) bad day. Persistance is the key.

Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Im new to the whole exercise and weightloss thing and so I would love some advice on how to get into shape and work off this weight. Ive never really worked out before, but I do know that i'd rather be outside than cooped up in a gym. Also, im new to the site and would love to have some friends for moral support and guidance. Thanks in advance!

Keep important thought in mind.

Weight loss is by eating less than needed.

Exercise is for body shaping and heart health, and can assist and counter act the effects of weight loss.
    It can also make the attempt harder and harm the body if not done right.

Feed the exercise, but eat less than previously.
    You want the body stronger, you want the fat gone.

Walk, and walk and walk. For first couple weeks. Then add in strength training to build muscle.
    If you selected a weight loss goal of hopefully 1/2 or 1 lb a week, don't worry, all that walking will cause more.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Eat within your calories set out by MFP and you will lose weight.

Figure out what you like to do for exercise and do it. Do you like to run? You could do the Couch to 5k running program outside, or it you are more advanced, other running programs. There are also tons of dvds you could do (just search it in the forums and you'll find a millions suggestions).

I agree- don't give up- you have to be truly motivated. It takes us all time to figure out what our body needs for food and working out to lose weight. Experiment, research, and you will find out your body's science eventually.
  • wlhbledsoe
    Options
    stay within your set program goals. since you like to be outiside, may i suggest a combo of walking a jogging. So you walk for 20 minutes to warm up, then run medium fast for 45 sec. as soon as you have caught your breath, run medium fast for another 45 sec. do this for 16 minutes. your body will burn calories after you've stopped working out. as you get in better shape, run 1minute, then walk, etc. good luck. you can do this.
  • mgl8198
    mgl8198 Posts: 17
    Options
    Okay thanks you guys...I have been trying to watch my food intake but I was told I was not intaking ENOUGH calories...so today I tried to bump it up a notch, but I felt as if I were overdoing it. I walked for about 25mins today at a pretty quick pace and surprisingly I was not tired. Does that mean I should kick it up a bit? Will I have to concern myself with working out too much?
  • mgl8198
    Options

Figure out what you like to do for exercise and do it. Do you like to run? You could do the Couch to 5k running program outside, or it you are more advanced, other running programs. There are also tons of dvds you could do (just search it in the forums and you'll find a millions suggestions).

I agree- don't give up- you have to be truly motivated. It takes us all time to figure out what our body needs for food and working out to lose weight. Experiment, research, and you will find out your body's science eventually.

I have never really ran before but I would LOVE to get into it, especially since im planning to join the Airforce
  • mgl8198
    Options
    stay within your set program goals. since you like to be outiside, may i suggest a combo of walking a jogging. So you walk for 20 minutes to warm up, then run medium fast for 45 sec. as soon as you have caught your breath, run medium fast for another 45 sec. do this for 16 minutes. your body will burn calories after you've stopped working out. as you get in better shape, run 1minute, then walk, etc. good luck. you can do this.

That sounds pretty easy, im going to try it, I just hope the neighbors dont laugh, lol
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I have never really ran before but I would LOVE to get into it, especially since im planning to join the Airforce

DEFINITELY look up the couch to 5k program then. It will give you a program of how you can start with alternating walking and jogging to work your way up to do a 5k. I find that when I have a program to follow, I'm much more likely to do a workout, and to do MORE than if I just started running until I felt like stopping.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    - eat less processed foods and more whole foods. i think this alone will cut down on many calories
    - watch your portion sizes and start to learn what a serving size looks like
    - eat more fresh vegetables, these are low in calories, provide fiber and will fill you up
    - learn to cook at home if you eat out a lot. if you already cook, look for ways to make your favorite dishes healthier (for instance substituting plain greek yogurt for sour cream)
    - dont be afraid of fat, especially good fat found in things like eggs, avocados, and nuts
    - allow yourself 1 or 2 cheat meala a week. i read something that said if 90% of your meals are good and clean then it really isnt going to matter what the other 10% is . so even if you're eating 3 meals a day, that's still 2 cheat meals you can eat without worrying since the other 19 or goo.

for exercise, find a few things you like doing and do them. also look for ways to motivate yourself. for instance if you're a competitive person and you decide to take up walking/running, then sign up for a 5K or 10K to take place in a few months and start training for it.
    - incorporate some form of weight resistance in your exercise routine. this can either be with your body weight or actual iron pumping

and finally give yourself time to shed the weight. losing 1-2 lbs a week is going to be the least intrusive in your daily life which means it's going to feel less like youre depriving yourself and more like you're just living a healthy life. remember it probably took you a long time to gain the weight, so don't expect the weight loss to be instant
  • mgl8198
    Options
    Okay I will definetly look that up, I also tried Zumba today. So maybe it would be good for me to alternate between walking/jogging a couple times a day and then doing Zumba a couple times a day...
  • heybales
    Options
    Okay thanks you guys...I have been trying to watch my food intake but I was told I was not intaking ENOUGH calories...so today I tried to bump it up a notch, but I felt as if I were overdoing it. I walked for about 25mins today at a pretty quick pace and surprisingly I was not tired. Does that mean I should kick it up a bit? Will I have to concern myself with working out too much?

Probably correct on food intake.

Tools tab - BMR calc

Is your BMR above 1200?

Might research what BMR is. it is NOT your total calories for maintaining weight.

Walking won't be too bad. Day after day of constant intense cardio can be, and double worse if you are not feeding the workout by eating back most of the calories used.
    Whatever your workout uses up, that means less for your BMR.
  • mgl8198
    Options
    - eat less processed foods and more whole foods. i think this alone will cut down on many calories
    - watch your portion sizes and start to learn what a serving size looks like
    - eat more fresh vegetables, these are low in calories, provide fiber and will fill you up
    - learn to cook at home if you eat out a lot. if you already cook, look for ways to make your favorite dishes healthier (for instance substituting plain greek yogurt for sour cream)
    - dont be afraid of fat, especially good fat found in things like eggs, avocados, and nuts
    - allow yourself 1 or 2 cheat meala a week. i read something that said if 90% of your meals are good and clean then it really isnt going to matter what the other 10% is . so even if you're eating 3 meals a day, that's still 2 cheat meals you can eat without worrying since the other 19 or goo.

for exercise, find a few things you like doing and do them. also look for ways to motivate yourself. for instance if you're a competitive person and you decide to take up walking/running, then sign up for a 5K or 10K to take place in a few months and start training for it.
    - incorporate some form of weight resistance in your exercise routine. this can either be with your body weight or actual iron pumping

and finally give yourself time to shed the weight. losing 1-2 lbs a week is going to be the least intrusive in your daily life which means it's going to feel less like youre depriving yourself and more like you're just living a healthy life. remember it probably took you a long time to gain the weight, so don't expect the weight loss to be instant

Okay, thanks...if you dont mind my asking how long did it take you to shed those 17lbs? I heard its unhealthy to lose weight too quickly but I would love to shed more than just 2-3 lbs a week
  • mgl8198
    Options

Probably correct on food intake.

Tools tab - BMR calc

Is your BMR above 1200?

Might research what BMR is. it is NOT your total calories for maintaining weight.

Walking won't be too bad. Day after day of constant intense cardio can be, and double worse if you are not feeding the workout by eating back most of the calories used.
    Whatever your workout uses up, that means less for your BMR.

My BMR is 1597...what exactly does that mean?
  • elleeg19
    elleeg19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    when i weighed my most i ate healthy foods, walked and did pilates. i lost 25lbs. just keep it simple hike bike swim, great place to ck calories and calories burned calorieking.com. greater workouts for beginer pilates for wgt loss by suzanne deason, gaiam. it has 3 levels it will get you long and lean and build strength so you can burn more calories. I love trader joes lots of good food choices,
    feel free to friend me. have a great day. Hang in there.
  • heybales
    Options
    My BMR is 1597...what exactly does that mean?

Your estimated healthy BMR could be 1597.

Basal Metabolic Rate is the energy the body uses dealing with all the cells in your body, feeding them and fluid movement.
    Must be taken in.
    This is the energy your body would require if sleeping non-moving all day.
    If it is not taken in, the body will slow the metabolism down rather than cause harm.

If you are constantly eating at 1200 and not hungry, and not feeding your exercise which means your body actually gets less to work with, then your BMR is below 1200. It can't be 1600.

You just missed out on 400 calories of free burn each and every day!

The real bummer, all your daily activities and exercise expend less energy when the metabolism is slower.
    In your case, 25% less if not hungry at 1200.
    So actually missing out on more than 400.

Just means the weight loss is slower than possible, and may stall out as body slows down more.

Hence the advice to select weight loss goal of 1/2 to 1 lb week, that way the selected goal is hopefully above your BMR figure.
    And eat back exercise.

Your actual weight loss will be totally based on your level of daily non-exercise activity, that which draws mainly from fat stores, which you want.
    The math for 1/2 is meaningless since MFP can't truly know what your daily non-exercise activity is, so don't worry about a figure given to you.

Hence the advice for easy things like walking slow, which is really just more daily activity you don't need to feed specifically. Well, unless you do it 4hrs daily!