Swim suit for lap swimming in a pool

Options
I'm looking for a suit I can wear for lap swimming. I'm still plus size, probably an 18W at this point. I don't want to break the bank because I'm losing pretty good and I won't be wearing it long, but the suit can't be utter garbage either. Anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• star1brite
    Options
    Go to a sporting good store and try things on. Or TYR or Speedo suits are typically good. They can be a bit pricey, but suits are pricey across the board. The main thing is to find something that is tight, will keep you all "inside" and not fill with water or be baggy. Suits usually stretch out pretty quick, so if you can handle it, buy small and squeeze in. That way you won't have to go buying suits all the time!

Hope that helps! :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this is my go to suit
    https://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=26843&CartID=

it's cheap but well made. i've never worn one out even though i use it at least twice a week for the pool and 3 times a week for whirlpool. the price is nice considering it's just something you're going to wear until it getts too big and your girls start popping out when you get in the water :laugh:
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    check out the Speedo website. They have a lot of different styles (lower cut legs, X-backs etc) and you can check out the various combinations and see what works for you. I have a couple of speedos that wear like iron but they do tend to fade in chlorine :( . Also, the speedo website usually has some sort of discount going on. I can't wear TYR. They seem to be cut too short for my longish torso but that's certainly an option for people who aren't built like me!
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Speedo is certainly a good brand, but I associate it with competition swimmers.
    Thus the higher prices, and many times they are VERY small.

For lap swimming, there is no need for a Speedo, I believe.

I would go for an inexpensive one, maybe to Target, a Macy's or similar?

Or you can try websites such as this, since you indicate you are still at plus size:
    http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/

problem with websites is that you can't try it !
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    swimoutlet.com has several plus size suits that are perfect for lap swmming.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I used to teach swimming lessons and was in the pool for hours every day, and always found that the Speedo Endurance suits were the only ones that didn't fall apart after a couple weeks. They are a little pricey, but it seems as if anything that isn't expensive gets eaten up by the chlorine right away (is your pool a chlorine pool?)
    Also, I'm not sure what sizes they go up to. If that doesn't work out, be sure to look for POLYESTER, not lycra! Lycra and chlorine are not friends!
    Another thing... since you're still losing, and chlorine is evil and stretches everything out immediately, try to get it as tight as possible and hopefully it'll last a little longer :)
    Good luck!
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You can get Speedo endurance for about $25 from ebay. Just buy one size up from what you wear in your top now as they are a tight fit. That's what I did, I've bought 3 pair this way and I'm and now looking for the next size down. :)