How do I tell if I am an under pronator, or over pronator? (

Options
This question is probably best geared towards runners, or anyone who has had foot problems.

So I have done the wet foot test and it from that it appears to be under pronation. I have also looked at my shoes and the outer edges are all worn down as opposed to the inner edges, which again would suggest under pronation. I have now had four different stress fractures, all in the outer bones of my feet. My feet go numb when I wear tennis shoes and workout. So I am looking for some really good shoes that will help. But after doing lots of research on the internet I am seeing people say that you can have wear on the outer edges of your shoes, yet still be an inner pronator. So how do I know for sure?
I can't afford to go back to the Podiatrist to have him tell me, I no longer have insurance. When I was there on my previous visits he never told me which I was, only suggested custom orthotics, which I can't afford either. So I would really appreciate anyone's advice on this :)

Replies

• garyl7593
    garyl7593 Posts: 38
    Options
    Normally a good running shoes shop will test you on a treadmill and video your landing and will advise you what shoes you require.These shops are usually more expensive but you are under no obligation to buy!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    There's a good web-site called RunnersWorld.com, I suggest you go there and search pronation, I did and it came up with a much of different articles, maybe you'll find some useful information there, good luck to you and I wish you all the best.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Runners (marathon, etc) normally go to a very good running shoes store, where the shoe salesman are very experienced in suggesting the proper running shoe.
    They can identify if you are under or over pronator, when they see you run a short distance.

So look for a runner's club, and ask them for a quality store for runners.

Good luck !
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses... I am in a new area I just moved to so I am not familiar with any running stores, but I will look for some now :)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    One more question, when you did the wet test, what was the outcome? Normal, flat or high arch.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    One more question, when you did the wet test, what was the outcome? Normal, flat or high arch.

Sorry I just saw this... when I did the test it looked to me like a high arch.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    Well I went into the running store today, and they wouldn't run through the tests or the machine unless I was definitely going to buy a pair today. And they were tossing out numbers between $200 to $300 (here in Australia everything is more expensive).For that price I might as well have got custom made orthotics. I can't afford that kind of money right now, so I guess I am just going to have to guess and get a shoe on my own.. .I'll just order it online for a decent price.