Help! I'm a bit lost in ratios and percentages!

Options
Hello lovely MFPs.

I'm struggling here people, and I need your help!

I'm 36, 5'6 ish (5'7 on a good day), and I've been stuck on 12.5 stone (175lbs/ roughly 80kg) for aaaaaaaages now, and even though I'm pounding away on mid to long distance runs and loving it, the weight's going nowhere.

Recently I realised that my weekly totals (on the phone app) show I'm regularly under-eating by thousands of calories, and this is probably why it's not shifting at all. I've also started reading a little about diet and running, but I've had conflicting advice about the amount of protein and carbs to consume. The book I'm reading now tells me I need approximately 104g of protein per day, and approximately 555g carbs. The USDA calculations(even though I'm English, it's the one that keeps coming up when I google) suggest I need 63g protein, and 288g carbs each day (although this is a general average suggestion, and not to do with running).

Should I just split the difference and aim for somewhere in-between? Can any runners out there give me a few pointers?

Over the last few days I've been eating more carbs and protein, and have decided to stop watching my daily calorie counter. I've worked out what my usual calorie usage is over a week's worth of normal activities (BMR + my usual exercise calories), and have chosen to work towards an average of 2300cals per day. I already feel much less stressed, I'm sleeping better and the toilet is my best friend again at the right time in the day (fits in with my running schedule much more comfortably), so I think this is the way forward.

All I need is a bit of guidance about how to get the right mixture!

Oh, and if there are any vegetarian runners out there, I'd love to hear about how you're getting more protein into your diets.

Thanks in advance,

Stripy.

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track not watching the calories now and listening to your body more.. and it'll be the same finding the protein/carb ratio. I began long distance running and focused on carbs. I lost tons of weight. Then I switched to a weight training regimen, and now I focus on my protein. I also had to up my calories at least three times with the weight training, because growing all these muscles made me sooo hungry! I"m still a size 4/6, but I"m up 9 pounds of muscle. I had to find my own 'happy place' as far as protein to carb ratio is concerned. I'd say start in the middle and shift left or right depending on what you need. If you listen to your body, it'll tell you. Eat for what you are training for, use your food as fuel and everything will fall into place with your weight.
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot Ladymuscles.

I never thought I'd have to worry about this sort of thing - it was so much easier to be an overweight lump!