Baby -> Hysterectomy -> Quit Smoking -> New Job

Ok. I just wanted to say how great this site is. I have had some MAJOR changes going on in my life lately, and am so intrigued (obsessed) with MFP. I gained about 20 pounds just from quitting smoking and a complete hysterectomy on top of the "post" baby weight. I decided it was time to make a change from my same 'ole rut I was in. Thank you all for posting pics, etc. It definetly gives me support and motivation. As I progress, I will feel more confident and less shy, and post some progress pics. Thanks again to you all!!!!

Replies

• I'd love to know how you quit smoking! Great job! I'm struggling with that myself because I don't want to gain the weight and it's hard for me to quit smoking! Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Keep up the great work! Stay motivated!
  • koumbay
    koumbay Posts: 62 Member
    charliesangel: I quit smoking using laser accupuncture originally, I've quit now for 2 years and during the quitting fase I never gained any weight! (well until I got pregnant a 4 months after quitting lol) I found the laser really worked for me, I will say I still had a small amt of withdrawal but nothing like what I had previous times I tried to quit. In order to relax after quitting I listened to some relaxation cds and just tried to keep calm during the first week or so. I also wore elastics around both my wrists and anytime I felt antsy I would give them a small snap, just to change my mind and focus it somewhere else, after a few weeks I no longer needed the elastics and now I have no desire to even think about smoking, actually when I smell it, I can't stand it, I don't even like being anywhere near it anymore! Anyways hope that helps a little, it really worked for me, and trust me, I never thought I could ever quit, I had tried the patch, zyban, the gum, cold turkey a few times, and none of those things ever worked for me!
  • klpruitt7
    klpruitt7 Posts: 56 Member
    From what people tell me, I wasn't the norm. I just put them down. I smoked for 18 years, and never tried to quit, but with my new job that I applied for I wouldn't have been hired if I smoked. The hardest part was breaking the "habit". I would just have to find something else to occupy my time. For some reason, I LOVED baking cookies. (Hence the lbs!) I didn't stress over it cause I new at the end of the day cookies were better than cigs! When I was really, really wanting one, I found some non-nicotine, non-tobacco cigs that I would puff on. Don't laugh, but they are called Ecstacy. 100% all natural, and yes, they are legal. :) They are HORRIBLE, but they walk and talk just like a cig. Good luck to you!! Remember, the weight will come off. It is temporary.
  • klpruitt7
    klpruitt7 Posts: 56 Member
    Ditto on the smell! You don't realize how bad the smell is until you quit. My husband smokes, and I can still smell it on him after hours of his last smoke.