Are you Organic?

Options
Sooo I decided to as much as I can eat and feed my family Organic food, wondering any others out there, and did you notice a big deference when you switched, (besides in your wallet lol)

any favored stores or brands, and anything else you might want to add on the subject of being organic.

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    make sure you read the labels close, not just the part that says organic. The regulation as to what can be called organic is very loose to say the least.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think organic for the most part is a bunch of crap. There was an episode on dateline the other night about it. I plan to raise most of my vegetables this year though.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I buy organic vegetables when I can, but it's not always in the budget. I use the dirty dozen and the clean 15 to help me choose what's more important to buy organically:
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/health/the-dirty-dozen-and-clean-15-of-produce/616/

If I can get produce that's local, but not necessarily organic, I'll always go for that.

I don't think you'll notice a difference in how the foods make you feel or anything, but you may notice a difference in taste and size. For example, real organic local strawberries are small, deep red and sooooooo delicious. Strawberries from California that I can buy at the grocery store are HUGE, varying shades of red, with white hulls and little to no actual flavour.
  • bgmomof3boys
    Options
    I try to buy as much organic produce as possible and only buy organic milk for the kids! I get my eggs from a local farmer friend of mine that are organic and completely free range! lol however just buying organic doesn't mean you will loose weight! It is however better for the earth and for your body when you aren't eating the skin of an apple that has had chemicals on it! I do grow a large garden every year and preserve what I can for the winter months! Good luck to you!
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I buy almost everything organic. including grass fed meat and free range eggs. Now that summer is coming up we are hitting the farmer's market for everything. I spent less there than i would at the super market, not to mention i know it goes to our local farmers. What I can't find there i'll get at whole foods or sometimes hyvee. I love whole foods not just for their selection, but their staff. They are all very friendly and helpful.

I just feel better all around since going organic, and the 15 pounds i've dropped doing it doesn't hurt. although i'm not sure if that is the organic food or my diet change in general.

I also love the learning opportunity it creates for my kids. We always talk about what farm things came from. We get to talk to the people that raise it. I can't say enough good things. And honestly i don't feel that much of a tug on my purse strings. if you stick to the basics, no processed stuff....it can sometimes be cheaper.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I contain carbon, carbon bonded with hydrogen, and carbon bonded with carbon. I'd definitely say I'm organic.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I also only buy organic vegetables and fruits that are on the "Dirty Dozen" list. These fruits and vegetables are more likely to absorb pesticides than others (things like peaches, spinach, bell peppers). Other veg like onions or avocados just isn't worth the price as the absorption of pesticides is minimal.

I don't really buy into the claim that people feel better after eating organic produce. I doubt the pesticides were making one feel sluggish. I could believe someone feels better by switching to organic boxed and convenience foods, since organic ones don't use artificial ingredients (e.g. there is no such thing as organic Polysorbate 80 or organic Red dye number 40).
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I contain carbon, carbon bonded with hydrogen, and carbon bonded with carbon. I'd definitely say I'm organic.

I knew some one would say that lol
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If I ever make enough to shop at Whole Paycheck for normal groceries, I'm sure I just might. Probably won't ever happen though, and I'm okay with that.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My friend started buying all organic veggies and ended up with bugs all over her vegetable drawer in her fridge and an infestation of other bugs in her pantry. They came in on some organic broccoli she bought.

Turns out there are worse things than pesticides.... pests being one of them.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If there is an organic option then I always buy it.

Although not 100% pesticide free Organic vegetable growers do use fewer pesticides and the use of them is better regulated, this can only be better for us and the environment in the long run.

I struggle to find Organic meat, you can usually get Organic chicken breasts but very little else. I like the idea of Organic meat as the conditions that the animals are raised in are so much better than non-Organic. Although I eat meat now I used to be Vegan because I felt so strongly about animal welfare.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of food being organic, but not for my own health. I don't believe it makes any difference to that, but it is better for the environment, especially for things like bananas which are crop sprayed from above. Milk is another thing I will only buy organic (and if I did eat meat, that too) because the further up the food chain you get the more toxins build up. Also I don't like the idea of routine antibiotics for cows.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have bills to pay, unfortunately.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    make sure you read the labels close, not just the part that says organic. The regulation as to what can be called organic is very loose to say the least.

Um, that's actually not true. The USDA is actually very strict about who can use the "organic" label, not to mention, it's a 3 year process for a farmer to earn that label. Yes, people can slap it on a box of something that only has a few organic ingredients, but you can be sure that those ingredients are 100% organic.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I think organic for the most part is a bunch of crap. There was an episode on dateline the other night about it. I plan to raise most of my vegetables this year though.

It's also really bad for the topsoil. Plus, a lot of farmers now have switched to what they call the soft approach to pest control. They feed the plants better, so they're better able to protect themselves from pests, and they use non-chemical forms of pest control to control the remaining pests.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    Options
    My friend started buying all organic veggies and ended up with bugs all over her vegetable drawer in her fridge and an infestation of other bugs in her pantry. They came in on some organic broccoli she bought.

Turns out there are worse things than pesticides.... pests being one of them.

I think that eating bugs is probably less harmful then chemicals, just saying.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    Options
    If there is an organic option then I always buy it.

Although not 100% pesticide free Organic vegetable growers do use fewer pesticides and the use of them is better regulated, this can only be better for us and the environment in the long run.

I struggle to find Organic meat, you can usually get Organic chicken breasts but very little else. I like the idea of Organic meat as the conditions that the animals are raised in are so much better than non-Organic. Although I eat meat now I used to be Vegan because I felt so strongly about animal welfare.

yea I hear ya, I think it is important for to change as much as we can to help those poor creatures live a better life before they become food, and one big way to do that is buying from the "nice" guy's, but yea I have had the same problem finding meat that doesn't break the bank, but I did start to get eggs that are from cage free farms, so every thing helps =)
  • 1Timothy4v8
    Options
    I am a big fan of food being organic, but not for my own health. I don't believe it makes any difference to that, but it is better for the environment, especially for things like bananas which are crop sprayed from above. Milk is another thing I will only buy organic (and if I did eat meat, that too) because the further up the food chain you get the more toxins build up. Also I don't like the idea of routine antibiotics for cows.

yea that's a neither reason I wont to go organic, cause I want to show God I apprecate what He's given me by not destoying it =)
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I shop from local small farmers as often as I can, even if it isn't organic. For other foods, including meats and fish, I shop at Trader Joe's. Even the nearby big chain grocery store, Publix, carries organic, some of which are under their own label. I wash fruits and vegetables, and salad greens no matter where I get them.
  • runninggirl54
    Options
    i buy as much as i can organic. there are some things i just cant get organic. i really don't see too much difference in price for most things. i usually shop at trader joes b/c they seem to have the best prices. i also grow some veggies in the summer and or shop at a farmers market(big savings).