Working my a** off and not losing - only gaining.

Options
Okay. So. I got Wii Active like two weeks ago. I've been following the plan since then, for just under two weeks, sometimes working out on a rest day and resting on a workout day, but nevertheless, I've been doing it almost every day. The past three or four workouts, I've been doing it on the hard level. Now, I skip exercises sometimes (it does too many lower body workouts, not enough midsection workouts. Sometimes I skip a couple sets of lunges) but I always burn at least 115 - 120 calories. I haven't been eating any less, just been eating a little better. Most days.

Problem is, I've done nothing but GAIN weight. Since I don't burn like, 200+ cal each time, I expected slow weight loss. Like... two pounds by now? My expectations aren't high. When I started trying to work out more, just before I got the Wii Active, I was 5 lbs lighter than I am as of now. Is anyone else having this problem??? It's really starting to piss me off. Considering going for lipo if this keeps up the way it's been going.

I feel more energetic, yes. But I also feel fatter than EVER.
HELP!

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• maredelarosa
    Options
    I don't have Wii active, but i have Wii fit. I have been wanting to try Active but am skeptical. The workouts on wii fit are pretty basic. I feel like I don't really break a sweat. I started actually jogging my big butt around a high school track in town and have gained weight. My diet is not the best though. Some days I was walking in the morning and jogging at night and I still seemed to put on a few pounds. It's frustrating!!! Don't give up!
  • xmissxshelx
    Options
    Trust me - I don't touch my Wii Fit anymore now that I have Wii Active. It's an a** kicking workout. the Wii Fit is like... NOTHING compared to the Wii Active. Wii Fit isn't really a workout unless you do the yoga and strength training. My boyfriend does the Wii Active too, and he's in pretty decent shape - it even makes HIM work hard.

If you want a good workout, whether it makes you lose weight or not, I highly recommend the Wii Active.
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the gain is not due to muscle development? Muscle weighs more than fat. This always seems to happen to me too. I start working out and expect to lose more weight. Are you losing inches?:wink: Don't give up!
  • Olivia120
    Olivia120 Posts: 5
    Options
    My husband has a trainer and he says you have to do both. Workout and eat less or it doesn't work. The key is you have to eat at least 1200 calories a day or your body will begin to store food. I was working out and eating about 1100 calories a day thinking it would help lose faster. I didn't lose ANY until I adjusted and began to eat more.

So my suggestion would be for you to 1) figure out how many calories you should eat in a day based on your height, age and activity level. 2) eat at least 1200 calories and workout no less than 30 minutes a day.

The trainer says at first don't worry about eating right or after 8 pm or any of that at first. Just stay within your calorie range and workout at least until you sweat.

I have been trying to lose 15 lbs for 10 years. This is the first time I have actually started to lose.

Hope this helps!:bigsmile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    They say weight loss is 80% diet / 20% exercise.
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    DEF. 80% diet.

How many calories are you eating, etc... information like that is the most important!
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    dont worry i feel ur pain 100%% i have been dieting for a month and exercising like crazy burning like 400 cals at a time and hve gained a pound! i am so pissed off as well.. i dont know how to break it but it better be broken soon! just kep going! chemically this plateau HAS to break soon!
    keep me updateD!
    :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Couple things.

1st, when you start a new exercise program that is harder than previous exercise, EXPECT weight gain. when you activate previously dormant muscles, or lightly used muscles, they require energy, muscles use glycogen for energy, when your using more of them, the body stores more glycogen, glycogen has weight to it (slightly higher than the weight of water). So there's some of your weight gain. The only time this mantra usually doesn't hold true is for people who were sedentary and obese and start a new exercise program, generally fat loss in the beginning in this case overrides the muscle activation weight gains for a variety of reasons (if someone really wants to know the specifics, pm me, I'll explain in detail).

2nd, 2 weeks in not even nearly enough time to evaluate any new program. Depending on the person, it can take up to 6 weeks to see the effects changes in diet and/or exercise can take. Patience is a HUGE virtue in this respect, give it the time it needs to work.

3rd, 1 lb a week is not necessarily a low expectation, in fact, depending on where your body fat % is, it can be considered very aggressive, and that can doom you to fail. If your body fat is in the mid 20% range, then expecting 1 lb a week is a pipe dream (sound harsh I know, but it's true, if you're not in the 30s of BF%, and not obese, fat is lost at a relatively sluggish rate, unless you are performing some serious High Intensity work for hours a day).

Hope this helps!

-Banks
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

1st, when you start a new exercise program that is harder than previous exercise, EXPECT weight gain. when you activate previously dormant muscles, or lightly used muscles, they require energy, muscles use glycogen for energy, when your using more of them, the body stores more glycogen, glycogen has weight to it (slightly higher than the weight of water). So there's some of your weight gain. The only time this mantra usually doesn't hold true is for people who were sedentary and obese and start a new exercise program, generally fat loss in the beginning in this case overrides the muscle activation weight gains for a variety of reasons (if someone really wants to know the specifics, pm me, I'll explain in detail).

Very interesting. Good to know. It can be very frustrating when you start a new even harder workout routine and don't see any results (or a gain) in the first few weeks. This is great information to have to keep from getting discouraged. Thanks!