SWIMMING - is you opinion??

Options
I have been watching the olympic qualifiers for swimming, and I have always wanted to swim on a regular basis (I am a water baby ;P ), what are your thoughts on swimming to lose weight and improve fitness?? Is this a good workout in itself or would it be best combined with some other form of exercise?

For any swimmers out their ... do you mind sharing your training program??

Replies

• cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great cardio exercise, and would be a great activity to help with fat loss. I would only add that you will probably want to do some weight-bearing exercises (like strength training) along with it, because there is no weight-bearing involved in swimming, and so it does not necessarily do much to strengthen your bones.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I used to find it a very beneficial exercise, but since starting weight training regularly it just seems too...easy for my workout. I was never a long distance swimmer as I don't have the patience, but I find I can do Butterfly just as easily as Front Crawl in terms of fatigue nowadays. Perhaps I would benefit more from it now if I did long distance, but I just don't enjoy that :bigsmile:
  • doucettee
    Options
    Hi AussieGem! I was a competitive swimmer for almost 13 years. Swimming is one of the best exercises you can do, you use so many muscles that you don't even know you have. When I was swimming I never paid attention to what I ate (keep in mind my food intake was terrible at the time) and I had cabs (pasta overload) all the time and I never gained weight. I was very fit and anything athletic came very easy to me. I would highly recommend that everyone should spend some time in the pool. It helps with cardio, strength, and it teaches you discipline with breathing, which I’m sure you know will help you with regular workouts.

I could go in and suggest some workouts, but I’m not sure what level you would be at. If I were you I would just try to get in the pool and swim laps. Back and forth, whatever stroke you want. If you decide you like it and want to continue then you could look into getting some real workouts. There are so many benefits to swimming that I could talk about forever, so all I can suggest is just go!!! :)

Good luck, I hope you love it as much as I do!
  • naconn1
    naconn1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just love swimming as a way to stay fit. I don't get to swim as much these days, but there were several years when I either lap swam or distance swam in local lakes at least a mile a day and I've never felt better or looked more fit in my life. I was trim and slim, and my arms looked fantastic! It is helpful to supplement this workout with some weight-bearing exercise. Once the warm weather is here I will be swimming across the reservoir a few times a week and I can't wait!!!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Aussie - ditto what the others said about swimming being a great total body workout. I swam in college and would be happy to help you figure out a training program if you want - send me a message and we can chat :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I believe in mixing things up generally, so I would personally not just swim as my fitness program, but in the summer, I head to the pool two or three times a week and swim laps for an hour or more. I love it. It's good cardio -- even at my slow pace, I burn the same calories as a 4 mph walk -- and works your muscles with NO stress on joints.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It works for me! I have knee problems so swimming and aquafit are my main forms of exercise. If you were going to include as a regular part of your exercise I would recommend getting some lessons on stroke technique if you haven't had any in the past.
    You can expend an awful lot of energy over a short time/distance if your technique is poor. I am no speed swimmer but can do a mile in an hour.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Swimming is great, go spend an hour in the pool and you'll feel it all-over (depending on fitness level and how hard you exert yourself in there) but it's especially awesome with the low/no impact aspect of it. I push myself more in the pool than I do on cardio equipment (the stationary stuff in the gym at least) put me on a bike that I'm riding around.... yeah my legs are jello next day ;P
  • magenbrittni
    Options
    I swam last week at the gym for the first time and felt AMAZING afterward! I might have been more sore then than I am after doing other cardio. I plan on making it my go-to exercise on Saturdays (the pool closes to early on weeknights for me to get there after work). I'm curious to see what others do for their swimming workouts as well, just laps? Or are there other things to do?
  • AussieGem
    AussieGem Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies!! :flowerforyou:

I cant wait to start, but as a few of you have suggested, I will incorporate a good strength circuit and figure out a set program to see how I will go!! (I am a little afraid to get into my swimsuit, but luckily I have my own pool which should save some embarrasment :laugh: )
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi

I use a site called Swimfit.com, it's great as gives you a training programme based on what you want to do.

If you are a relatively fast swimmer then you can burn up to 200 calories in 30 mins with little impact on your joints.

I love it

B
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies!! :flowerforyou:

I cant wait to start, but as a few of you have suggested, I will incorporate a good strength circuit and figure out a set program to see how I will go!! (I am a little afraid to get into my swimsuit, but luckily I have my own pool which should save some embarrasment :laugh: )

Oh to have my own pool! If I ever won the Lotto, I'd certainly get myself one.

I'm a distance swimmer although I didn't start out to be. I just wanted something to do in the darker winter months when I couldn't get out on my bike. Of course, swimming has taken over now as my preferred form of exercise and I now swim 4-5 times a week for at least 60-80mins.

I do not get bored swimming length after length and as I can only swim breaststroke, I just plod along at my own pace. I find it's great for de-stressing and clearing my mind of all the useless interrogation it usually has to cope with as I concentrate on counting laps and not trying to breath underwater :laugh:

I'm currently training for a 5 Km swimathon in aid of charity so every Sunday I've been upping my distance and can now comfortably swim 4.5 km non-stop.

I also believe it has helped me considerably with my weight loss: I've lost over 50lbs/23kg which I doubt I could've done by going to the gym as I get bored doing static cardio and I need a gym buddy to make me do my core strength training :happy: