Shakes and bars

Options
Is it terrible to have a diet mostly made up of shakes and bars? I am trying to not go out until I am on the right track, so I don't lose willpower and eat something terrible at a drive thru or resturant. I have a shake for breakfast and lunch and a bar for snacks, then usually some meat (pork, chicken, beef) and veggies for dinner. Recently I've been busy with errands, appointments, and spring cleaning so I've done another shake/bar.

IS THIS HORRIBLE?

I don't find myself hungry, and they taste pretty good!

Replies

• KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • kristabillings
    Options
    I don't think it's terrible - just make sure you are getting the right nutrition - some of these shakes can be high in sugar and carbs.

Also - don't forget that losing weight has to be a lifestyle change - not just a diet. What will happen when you go back to eating regular foods at these meals instead of the shakes?

I drink a shake for breakfast because I don't like any breakfast foods, and don't have much time in the mornings. My favorite is the Chocolate flavored Glucerna Hunger Smart shake. Only 6 g of sugar and sweetened with sucralose for those of us with aspartame issues.

For lunch I usually choose a healthy meal from the freezer section because I'm at work and it's fast and easy. The shakes will work and get you started, but be sure to consider what you will need for your success in the long term.

GREAT JOB! :)
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's "horrible" so much as is it maintainable when you reach your goal weight ? You can't expect to live on that for the rest of your life and will have to learn how to eat carbs and fat etc to maintain your body or you will gain it all back.

The nutrients from fresh food is second to none, I too use protein shakes but I use them to up my protein intake, not to live on... they supplement a healthy diet, they should not be your "whole" diet....
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Not the best balance. You know you're going to get people (including me!) telling you to eat whole grains, lean protein, and lots of veggies & fruit. I do eat bars and have shakes OCCASIONALLY. But it's only when I'm in a pinch. It's really not great for you. I know this isn't the answer you were looking for! sorry:tongue:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that this needs to be a lifestyle change in order for it to work. What you are doing is setting yourself up for failure by only eating shakes and bars and not going out. If this is something that you are not going to maintain this for the rest of your life, then it's wrong. Period.

I don't have a problem with shakes and bars in general, they are a quick option for calories and extra protein. I don't think they should replace whole food though.
  • tiffylc37
    tiffylc37 Posts: 29
    Options
    Try those shirataki noodles too! They are very quick to make and very filling. There are some recepes for them on the hungry girl site. I did the lomein version and added a ton of veggies. For the first time since I started MFP (3 weeks) i was full and it only take a few minutes to cook!
  • kasarin
    kasarin Posts: 82
    Options
    Is it bad? no

Is it good? no

If you are meeting your caloric goals and getting close to your macros (protien, fat, and carbs) while limiting sugar and sodium then you are fine. Sustainability is what is key. It sounds like you are able to sustain at these levels. If you notice you are craving real food then make a sensible switch making sure you keep those macros. I also urge you to add some spinach and other "good " veggies. It sounds like you make be missing those!

Keep it up!
  • sradis
    sradis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with making shakes and bars a regular part of your diet, as long as you balance them out with other foods. I drink a shake before my morning workout and a protein bar on the drive to work as breakfast during the week. Just make sure you chose good products: some are loaded with sugar, but with a little research you can find some with almost no sugar. Pure Protein and Detour both make very good bars with low sugar content.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad, but it's not really sustainable. Try to slowly start replacing the shakes and bars with real food. You'll be surprised how easy it is to incorporate almost anything into your diet.
  • KenziesMomma11
    Options
    great replies, thanks!

i know that i cannot maintain this diet forever, i am trying to jumpstart my weight loss by cutting out heavy carbs (as i am an addict) and then adding them back in, in a healthy way.

i do plan to continue to use the shakes/bars for on the go/ snack options.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    In the long term, you need to eat "real" food. But if this is helping you to get started, then do what you have to do. I started with changing my breakfast, then I was less likely to overeat or go for the easy junk later in the day.

(Homemade Egg McMuffin and fruit smoothie).

Then, I started with other meals and making new things, like soup, which could provide lunch for several days.

Also, two books that helped me: The 400 Calorie Fix (which has a section on fast food and restaurant food to make better choices if you do eat there) and Volumetrics. There's also Eat This, Not That.

I like to eat, but not overeat. I was surprised to find that these books show you (even with photos) foods that are more filling and lower in calories than what you normally might eat.

The problem with the traditional view of "dieting" is that I always thought it meant depriving myself. This isn't true. You can actually eat more food that tastes better.

Good luck on your journey!
  • KenziesMomma11
    Options
    I am an emotioal earter and a carb addict. I needed to make big changes so I plotted this experiment to teach myself to eat when hungry, and to eat for nutrition, not to fill a void.

My long term goal is to lose weight of course, but to also have a healthier relationship with food.

I'd like to keep carbs low for good, and eat more fresh veggies, fruit, and lean meats. The shakes are bars are tasty and satisfying, so I plan to use them while on the go with my FULL OF ENERGY 1 year old daughter :D
  • geneanroberts
    geneanroberts Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It is fine as long as they are nutritious shakes. Many shakes are not really healthy. I do Body By Vi, I have 2 shakes a day and 2 snacks and dinner. I have been doing this for 8 months. I am healthier than ever, I feel better and more energized. They are super healthy and nutritious...And it absolutely does have to be a lifestyle change. Your health is worth making that change. If I were you I would check the nutritional levels on what you are drinking though to make sure you are getting the proper nutrition. Message me if you want to know more about Body By Vi :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that yes, a diet that is 66% fabricated shakes and bars is a diet that has a LOT of room for improvement.

If this works for you for now, then it's fine, but I do think that at some point it will be necessary for you to add more "real food" to your diet. Protein/energy/snack bars are little more than candy. I don't see how a diet of mostly shakes and bars can possibly be low-carb as you claim.

Personally - I only do shakes/bars if I am a) fueling for an intense workout, or b) starving to death. If real food is available, it's highly preferable.
  • KenziesMomma11
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that yes, a diet that is 66% fabricated shakes and bars is a diet that has a LOT of room for improvement.

If this works for you for now, then it's fine, but I do think that at some point it will be necessary for you to add more "real food" to your diet. Protein/energy/snack bars are little more than candy. I don't see how a diet of mostly shakes and bars can possibly be low-carb as you claim.

Personally - I only do shakes/bars if I am a) fueling for an intense workout, or b) starving to death. If real food is available, it's highly preferable.

They are the Atkins shakes and bars. And I am not eating any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes....cutting out heavy carbs.
  • geneanroberts
    geneanroberts Posts: 39 Member
    Options

They are the Atkins shakes and bars. And I am not eating any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes....cutting out heavy carbs.

I didnt like the Atkins shakes, I thought they tasted thick and chalky...
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that this needs to be a lifestyle change in order for it to work. What you are doing is setting yourself up for failure by only eating shakes and bars and not going out. If this is something that you are not going to maintain this for the rest of your life, then it's wrong. Period.

I don't have a problem with shakes and bars in general, they are a quick option for calories and extra protein. I don't think they should replace whole food though.
    This is my opinion as well. I do myself use shakes and bars but not every day and only as a supplement for my daily macronutrients. I always use them in such a way that I can easily substitute some other food source for them. If you are using them to replace 66% of your diet, IE 2 out of 3 meals a day, it's probably not optimal. Much better to construct a diet you can live with the rest of your life. Just my 2 cents.