Tummy irregularity

Options
rvest
rvest Posts: 17 Member
Does anyone have advice about an "irregular" tummy? I have been a runner for many years and have gone to the Dr. over the years to ask about why I am continually suffer from constipation. Each Dr. has told me that it is a common complaint of runners... I run 6 or 7 days a week, 30-60 min, and strength train 15 min. I have been doing this for years. I am doing my best to eat 1220-1300 calories a day, but never eat the exercise calories. I also drink at least 10 cups of water a day and eat lots of fresh veggies and salads, so I am checking my fiber intake. Today I got on the scale and it was +.3 pound, and I have a bad stomach ache and am tempted to take something to help. Do you have any advice for me?

Replies

• angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but try bumping up your fiber intake and eat some activia everyday.
  • Italian
    Italian Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    you gotta eat your exercise calories
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    Options
    Try Miralax...it's not addictive. It'll keep you moving until you can get something else figured out. My doc says you can use it long term if you need to. Good luck...tummy trouble sucks.
  • weasleman42
    Options
    It is hard to say for certain, but your body could be in starvation mode from a lack of calories. I would suggest eating at least some of your exercise calories. Maybe that will help kick your system back into normal mode. Good luck!
  • shaleah77
    shaleah77 Posts: 89
    Options
    I've always had this problem ...since I was a kid....and now as an adult. I am not a runner though :P And my problem is more intermittent. Coffee usually helps even just 1 cup and I find that if I've gone more than a day or two, eating an apple will usually help by the next day. Whether I'm on a diet or not I have always eaten lots of veggies.

I personally didn't have any luck with activia, after buying a HUGE package of it from Sams club. I also found the strawberry flavor has carmine (cochineal) in it.....somewhat natural but YUCK! The apple though works best for me.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have this problem due to my low-carb lifestyle. I personally use Organice Smooth Move tea once a week, and it helps "clean out the pipes" so to speak. I follow the directions on the box, and drink one cup of it before bed - and by the next morning everything is okay again.....

The tea itself is kinda bitter, so I steep both the Smooth Move teabag and a French Vanilla one at the same time and add some Splenda, and that takes care of the taste, at least for me....
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Does anyone have advice about an "irregular" tummy? I have been a runner for many years and have gone to the Dr. over the years to ask about why I am continually suffer from constipation. Each Dr. has told me that it is a common complaint of runners... I run 6 or 7 days a week, 30-60 min, and strength train 15 min. I have been doing this for years. I am doing my best to eat 1220-1300 calories a day, but never eat the exercise calories. I also drink at least 10 cups of water a day and eat lots of fresh veggies and salads, so I am checking my fiber intake. Today I got on the scale and it was +.3 pound, and I have a bad stomach ache and am tempted to take something to help. Do you have any advice for me?

I've suffered from tummy troubles since I was a kid... constipation, gas, cramping, the whole gammut. About a year and a half ago, I gave up eating meat, and about two weeks after that, I noticed a vast improvement. I actually felt good for the first time in a very long time. I don't know if it would work for you, it might be something else entirely that's causing your issue. I just know that it worked for me.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I know we're not supposed to 'advertise' stuff but I don't work for this company nor get any kick backs - I just get great results from it.

There is a product called 'Natural Calm'. It's magnesium that you mix with hot water. It has many great health benefits - one being that you won't have constipation any more. And it's not something you'd have to take every day. Check it out, it's amazing in many ways.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    i have always been irregular. I am not a runner, but sufferer from contipation. what helps me is eating a kiwi first thing in the morning before eating anything else, and in no time you will be up and going. also, drinking warm water (not cold) before putting anything in your mouth. Good luck and i hope these tips helps you out.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    probiotics...

I eat a probiotic organic full fat yogurt everyday, and I'm finally "regular".
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I know we're not supposed to 'advertise' stuff but I don't work for this company nor get any kick backs - I just get great results from it.

There is a product called 'Natural Calm'. It's magnesium that you mix with hot water. It has many great health benefits - one being that you won't have constipation any more. And it's not something you'd have to take every day. Check it out, it's amazing in many ways.

Will do. Thanks!