Exercise Philosophy?

Options
What is your exercise philosophy?

In my mind I feel like diet is the key to weight loss, but exercise is also very important to being healthy. I also want to have good muscle tone and such. Lately I've been pushing myself really hard, working out 5-6 days a week and trying to do something high intensity every day - either running or a bootcamp or 30DS video. I started off by doing Ellen Barret Pilates several days a week but now feel that that's too easy. I've lost 17ish lbs so far and have 18ish to lose to get to my first goal, but probably closer to 25-30 for my ultimate goal. I'm starting to wonder though, is it really worth pushing myself so hard at this point in the game? I eat most of my exercise calories anyway so doing a big, huge burn doesn't move me towards weightloss any faster than a slow, gentle burn. I've been running a lot and in three months have gone from running 1 mile/day to 2.5-3miles. I hurt my knee a few weeks ago and now my shins are starting to feel sore. I'm thinking I might be working my body too hard, but backing off feels like slacking...

Also, slightly different topic but along the same lines - do you plan out/schedule your workouts in advance or just decide that day what you feel like doing? Right now I'm just winging it as I go but wonder if I should try and structure it more.

I'm sure everyone will have a different answer, but I would love to hear them!

Replies

• Batchoy
    Batchoy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My exercise philosophy is not do anything I can't sustain permanently.

Previously I have tried regimes which I fallen by the wayside because other commitments have come in the way, and the fact that I begrudge spending time exercising for its own sake. So my exercise is now simply what I can do in my daily life: walking briskly rather than using the car, using stairs rather than lifts and escalators and trying not to spend the whole day sitting in my office chair by walking to see people face to face rather than using the phone.
  • KF1216
    KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    As above, I don't do anything I can't sustain. Some days, I burn as little as 50 calories, others I go up to 500 (when I'm walking to/from work). Usually, I burn about 100. I used to be strict about what I did, what day and what time. Now, I just make myself do SOMETHING every day and usually decide based on the weather/any pain I have.
  • day_dreamr24
    Options
    I don't really follow an exact regime...it all depends on what I feel like doing. The only thing that is consistent is the aqua aerobics/jogging class I take twice a week, which if you've never tried it, I recommend it. It's low impact, but it works your body without the sweat!

I'd take it easy if you're starting to injure yourself...or do low impact activities to keep you moving
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My exercise philosophy is not do anything I can't sustain permanently.

You sound like my tri coach!

To the OP, the benefits of exercise transcend the caloric burn, I personally look at my exercise program more along the lines of building a stronger, healthier body than just in terms of weight loss. If your shins are hurting try icing them and backing off a bit on the mileage - build that up slowly, your body needs time to adapt.

My schedule is pretty much fixed as I'm training for a half marathon in May and a triathlon at the beginning of August even though some days I won't feel like doing weights so I may row instead.