Exercise Gadgets/Must haves?

Options
Hi Guys!

The weather is changing rapidly here and I know that I will be doing outside activities soon! Im am wondering what do you guys consider to be the best watch for counting calories burned accurately and heartrate. I also want to know what are your must haves for exercise. Im thinking about getting some new gear just wanted to hear your ideas...nano, ipod? What?

Thanks in advance! :wink:

Replies

• Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just listen to music on my android that I download. And I just bought a fitbit so I don't know how accurate that is yet but last night I walked for 20 minutes with my kid around the block (up a hill) for 20 minutes and it said I burned 158 calories which is cool.
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ with my iPhone. I use it with a treadmill at the gym. I am not sure if the calories burned it correct because the numbers on the treadmill, numbers from MFP and the numbers on Nike+ are all different. It does keep track of distance accurately and minutes working. It also keeps track of pace per minute so you can work on decreasing your time.

Nike also has something called a fuel band. From what I have read on the site, you can use it to set a calorie goal and it will tell you when you have reached your goal for the day. Haven't gotten one of these, but it sounds interesting. (no, I do not have any affiliation with Nike, LOL)

Good luck to you. And if you find anything you can't live without, keep us posted. =)
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have an ancient iPhone. The other day, I loaded a bunch of my own favorite music CDs into iTunes, created play lists in iTunes then synch'd the phone in the computer. Now, I have great music to keep a proper, rapid, cadence for my stair climbing and fitness walks. I've had a FITBIT for a couple of weeks now. Amazing and great device. For those who use an iPhone and click on a music app, you're using my your data minutes and it's costing you $$$. When you load your own CDs, you're only using the battery on the phone. Free works :)
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar MT7 Heart rate monitor watch with chest strap.
    I only got it earlier this week but so far it seems great and because i know how many caleries i'm burning and if i'm burning fat or getting fitter it makes me workout harder which is what i wanted.
    so far i'd give it 10/10
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Lets see:

iPod touch w MFP, Seconds, and StrongLifts 5x5 apps (and a crapload of music)
    iPad loaded with movies for when I'm on cardio machines
    -heavy duty cases for both

Bluetooth headset (SO much better than cords)
    Ecoballs for lifting
    MMA gloves for boxing work
    FT7 HRM
    Vibrams

That about rounds it out. Given more discretionary income:
    A few more pairs of vibrams so I could wash them more often
    More synthetic workout clothes since the cotton stuff I use gets funky
    Weights to setup a weight room at home
    Another magic bullet to make protein shakes at work
    Calipers to take measurements
    All the supplements I used to take but am too cheap to pay for now
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I pretty much think treadmills are the work of the devil so I have a pretty cheap Garmin 110 watch. It lets me run wherever I feel like it and tracks the distance, time, pace, and calorie burn. I love having this for running and biking and occasionally for hiking if I want to be able to see our path later on.
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all your input! :flowerforyou:
  • Kempossible
    Options
    Lets see:

iPod touch w MFP, Seconds, and StrongLifts 5x5 apps (and a crapload of music)
    iPad loaded with movies for when I'm on cardio machines
    -heavy duty cases for both

Bluetooth headset (SO much better than cords)
    Ecoballs for lifting
    MMA gloves for boxing work
    FT7 HRM
    Vibrams

That about rounds it out. Given more discretionary income:
    A few more pairs of vibrams so I could wash them more often
    More synthetic workout clothes since the cotton stuff I use gets funky
    Weights to setup a weight room at home
    Another magic bullet to make protein shakes at work
    Calipers to take measurements
    All the supplements I used to take but am too cheap to pay for now
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    An olympic bar and bumper plates.
  • maethoriel
    Options
    A bodybugg!! :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Running shoes.
    iPhone (RK, MFP, iTunes) - an old iPod would do, but then I'd have to lugg the phone extra.
    Ancient polar HRM.

That works for me so far. I have some weights that need dusting off, and am looking to get some resistance bands.
  • Kempossible
    Options
    Thanks!
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    A Heart Rate Monitor with a chest strap is what I use! It tells you how many calories burned/when you are in the zone and your heart rate during your entire workout. You can even pause it. I have a Polar. You can get one for around 70-80 dollars. :)