Breaking a plateau

Options
Hi Guys,
Any ideas on how to break a plateau. I've hit plateau since last 2 months. Have been eating what MFP says for 2lb loss / week. Infact when I overeat (as people said its one way to break plateau), i gained 3-4 kgs.

Replies

• ksanchez311
    Options
    IDK, but when you find out, let me know, 'cause I've been stuck at the same weight for about 6 months and I'm working my *kitten* off!
  • crickettm
    crickettm Posts: 40
    Options
    IDK, but when you find out, let me know, 'cause I've been stuck at the same weight for about 6 months and I'm working my *kitten* off!

ditto that!!!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at the same weight for two weeks. I was eating 1260 calories and I had my lifestyle set at sedatary at 1lb loss a week. When I set my lifestyle to lightly active and ate most of my exercise calories back (I used my HRM for all exercises) I ended up dropping two lbs in two weeks. So my plateau has been broken. So maybe if you haven't tried to do that you should. I think some people just arent getting the amount their body really needs to function.
  • NicoletheFaye
    NicoletheFaye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same here! I added more calories and more weight came with it. Does anyone know how long you have to eat more calories before it breaks your plateau? Maybe we aren't waiting long enough. I've been eating more calories for 2 weeks now.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Start tracking sodium and see if that makes a difference!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Oh and I slightly shocked my body once a week with a different workout (mine was just adding alittle bit of running into the mix only about 5-15 mins each week worth)
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You could try setting your weight loss goal at 1lb per week and then having a spike day every 7 days.
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    I was at the same weight for months and working my butt off 6 days a week doing a variety of cardio: Zumba, Taebo, and Slim in 6 by Beachbody. Two and a half weeks ago, I upped my calories by 200 a day and started the new Les Mills Pump set by Beachbody. I've lost 4 pounds so far and am already seeing more muscle definition!
  • bobthesmogs
    bobthesmogs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Start tracking Fat, Protein, Carbs, Sodium and SUGAR and try to stick especially to the recommended sodium and sugar levels.
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    ive had the same issue for 3months....ive FINALLY broke mine this week:). everyone recommended upping my cals, i did that, and i knew id gain the first month or so til my body adjusted to it but it seemed the more i ate, the hungrier i was...so, i decided to lower my calorie intake back to where id lose 2lbs a week instead of 1. i think the upping of my calories, and then the sudden drop confused my metabolism and jumpstarted my weightloss again (at least this is holding true so far, i just lowered my cals again monday and am down nearly 3lbs from last saturdays weighin). hope this is helpful

& i do eat some of my exercise calories back too (i know my body needs the fuel when ive burnt alot)
  • finz96
    Options
    I eat more on days when I'm hungry though as I'm trying to change my body composition and not really lose anymore weight. I vary my calories from day to day depending on hunger, but at the end of the week my average cals is 200 more per day than when I was stuck at my plateau for so long!
  • JenniLisette
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    Any ideas on how to break a plateau. I've hit plateau since last 2 months. Have been eating what MFP says for 2lb loss / week. Infact when I overeat (as people said its one way to break plateau), i gained 3-4 kgs.

20 MINUTES OF CIRCUIT TRAINING.. you'll notice in one week the difference! i hit a plateua for 5 weeks, did circuit training for 20 minutes 4 days in a row in a week i dropped 2.8 lbs and havent had a problem since.
  • JenniLisette
    Options
    also, like everyone metion up your calorie, i added 200 cals to my diet as well. burning more needed to eat more...
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing 2 days of PURE PROTEIN.
  • _Dan_
    _Dan_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try changing your workout routine to something new... I used to mountain bike all the time, and it got easy for me. Then I switched to running, and it started a whole new set of (fun) pain :-)
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had been stuck for about 2 months as well. I upped my calories so I'm eating at my BMR and starting lifting heavy weights and I'm at a loss again as of yesterday :)
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    you can fluctuate your calories for a while, and your exercises.
  • finz96
    Options
    you can fluctuate your calories for a while, and your exercises.

This! :)
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks people for the tips. I got to be working now. Changing my exercising habits and shocking body every now and then...