advice needed.... so confused!

Options
Hey everybody,
quick question, i was diagnosed with pcos last week, was already trying to lose as i thought i had it anyway.
So, carbs and sugar r a PCOSers enemy and we r trying to conceive and Im tryin to put my all into it.
I wondered, if i could do a semi atkins diet. By semi i mean, cereal to start the day, then meat and eggs for lunch, then chicken and vegetables for dinner? And if i add any snacks it will be a boiled egg or somethin not something sweet. It seems to be the only way i can eat all or most of my calories and not have a high sugar/carb intake for the day. But will the fat intake ness me up?!
Im working out 3times week on average.

Any advice or suggestions will be soo appreciated!
Thanks

Replies

• saraparris82
    Options
    I don't think the fat content matters as much as watching your overall calorie and carb intake.

I have PCOS as well and I have two lovely boys so it is possible. In fact we got pregnant pretty quickly with both of them. Has your doctor given you metformin? With my second, taking metformin alone was enough to make my body work and I didn't need clomid.

I didn't start counting calories and carbs until AFTER the birth of #2 (I was doing WW before both pregnancies), but then my doctor put me on metformin for pretty much the rest of my life to help with insulin resistance and my trainer suggested to keep my carbs at 40% or below. For me that is 120g which isn't super low-carb but certainly a lot lower than I was eating.

I hope that helps a little, let me know if you have any questions or friend me if you want!
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about Low Gi?
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    I did, went shopping on Monday and brought wholegrain bread, pasta and brown rice, researched it all and it just seems like too much carb still. Im gettin a bit obsessed!
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It is carbs but its good carbs, and you dont need to have too much. I usually only have one slice of wholemeal bread, or a small amount of brown pasta or rice each day. I just cut out all the crap refined carbs. Maybe see if someones got a book you can borrow and give it a go for a couple of weeks? Its much better for in the long term than something 'Atkins' like.

xx
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    Ill try and re think it. And your probably right in the long run its making more sense. Ill just restrict myself to one of the above per day i think. Thanks!
  • sharynSmith
    sharynSmith Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I had to lose about 14kg so that I could do IVF to have children (I dont get periods at all so there was no way to conceive naturally) so I did a bit of research for the best weight loss methods with PCOS.

I tried Atkins and lasted maybe 3 days. I actually felt quite sick eating so much meat & dairy (think bacon & eggs for breakfast type meals) and bugger all in the way of carbs.

I switched to a low GI plan and while the weight was slower to come off (maybe a 1kg a week with exercise & diet) I have found it easier to maintain my weight. I have attached a link to a site that sort of explains how PCOS and low GI works but in short - with PCOS your body doesnt process some foods as well as it should. PCOS can make you more likely to become a diabetic or even get gestational diabetes during pregnancy. I tend to follow a 'diabetic' type diet - not a lot of sugar or refined products. I work on the 90:10 rule - if Im good 90% of the time my body can cope with 10% of crap. I have actually found that the less refined or processed food I eat the less I want to eat it. I dont crave bread or chocolate etc

http://www.thewomens.org.au/ManagingyourPCOS

If you have any questions please ask :)