My food/eating confession

Options
I was introduced to the My Fitness Pal website through my nutrition class at my local community college. Basically, we had to sign up and track our food for a whole week as a part of an assignment for that class. Even though I came because I had to, I'm staying because I want to. I think this is a great place to find support and be supportive of others as we all stive to lose weight and become healthier in general. Also, I agree that tracking your food helps a person to lose weight because they have to come face-to-face with what they are eating each day. They can't quite be in denial about it if they are looking right at a list of their daily food/drink choices and the nutritional content of each.

That brings me to my food/eating confession that I would like advice on. If I know I am going to go over on my calorie goal for the day, I often go quite a bit over. I figure that if I'm going to go over, I might as well go way over. For example, I found out later last night that I was going to be something like 70 or 80 calories over. Then, I decided to eat the donut stick that was sitting right next to me at the time because I had already missed my calorie goal. After that, I grabbed some Lay's potato chips (although I did count out how many I took at least) and a slice of cheese.

Does anyone have any advice here? I do understand that going a little bit over your calories is obviously a lot better than going way over, but some days, I just can't get over the desire to indulge. I don't know why I think that over is over, so I might as well enjoy some extra goodies anyway.

Thanks in advance for anything constructive anyone has to say! :)

Replies

• original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have to tell myself DURING my splurge: Damage control, DAMAGE CONTROL.

I know once you start sliding you just wanna lay back and let yourself go, but you need to remind yourself that all that food you're consuming is just going to make this all harder for you in the long run.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that, depending on your settings, your calorie goal is set to give you a deficit of several hundred calories. For example, I have it set to lose 1.5lbs a week, so my calorie goal is 1401.....this gives me a deficit of about about 700 calories per day. So if I'm only over by 70 calories, I'm still down 630. That's great! I will still lose weight. But, if I say "screw it" and start eating like crazy, I'm chipping away at that deficit more and more. The more I eat, the less chance I will lose. Keep that in mind. 70 calories = no big deal. 400 calories = harder to lose weight.
  • tayachri
    tayachri Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh man Im the exact same way!! I think screw it ive already messed up so now I mine as well just bag the whole day and enjoy it! I have no advice,infact I need advice LOL I lost 30 and have gained 9 back :( I did so good for 9 months and now I cant seem to get back on the band wagon! I feel your pain but good job on the 7 lbs.:)
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    I understand how you feel, sometimes when I have a bad day, I just say screw it now I will just indulge! But one way that has helped me, is say I go over 70 calories the next day I will add 70 quick calories to my diary just so that I don't eat those extra 70...does that make sense? :)
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    What is your calorie deficit set at? If it's minus 500 calories a day for 1lb a week, you should remind yourself that going over 100 calories still means you're down 400. Don't make it an excuse to go over everyday, but use it as a reminder that going over by 50-70 doesn't mean you ruined your day.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I always look at it from the long term perspective. My daily goals become part of my weekly plan. If I go over a little one day I know I can make it up the next day with just a little extra attention, but if I go way over it may take three or four days to get back to where I need to be. This keeps me from over indulging.

That, or have someone tie your hands behind your back so you can't reach for the chips!
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I try to look at it like this: If I am at a deficit to lose weight, it is just a cut of a few hundred calories a day and that gives me results. If I eat an extra 100 calories everyday, that will slow my results. If I eat an extra 400, I have basically eaten my 100 over for the next four days in one sitting.

Before I tried losing weight I thought that extra cookie and chocolate I had every night had no effect because I ate "healthy" all the rest of the day. That logic got me up to 158. Little things do matter.

Also, if it only takes a small cut to lose weight, it will only take a small amount of extra food to gain, lose slower, or maintain. I am saying this within reason since I do not support extremely low calorie diets.

Not sure what else to say that may help though. It is really about control. But those extra chips do matter. And yes, others are correct. If you eat an extra 100 then you will still be at a deficit. But I am referring to going over by more than 500 calories.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I go by a weekly average, instead of feeling that I need to be under my daily goal every single day. This way if I go over one day by 70 calories, I know that I can make up for it easily the next day or next few days. This keeps me from feeling like, well, I'm already over, may as well eat that pint of ice cream now.
  • fionaface
    fionaface Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am still pumping milk for my baby daughter (who is eight months old), so I don't want to purposely try to lose an unhealthy amount of weight right now. I have my daily calorie deficit set at 200 calories, which if I hit it regularly, should give my a weight loss of around half a pound a week.

It is tricky to hit my calorie goal sometimes also because of the calories I get to subtract from pumping milk. I pump at least 40 ounces of milk every day (I know the amount because I measure it all myself), and each ounce means 20 calories burned. That is at least 800 calories daily.

Sometimes, I find it incredibly difficult to find foods that have the calories I may need in foods that are lower in fat, carbs, sodium, sugar, etc... I know that lots of candy bars/bags are "empty calorie" foods that will really hurt me if eaten in large quantity and often.

Also, I know I may be in for a rude awakening when I stop pumping milk (although I will continue to pump for probably the next five months at least). Now, I am so used to needing to eat the extra calories that it will be a difficult transition to have to eat so many less calories in a day (and like I mentioned above, it will be 800 calories less a day).

I just want to be a healthy eater and get in better shape for myself, but more importantly to be a great role model for my kids.
  • Skyflier83
    Options
    I seem to get weird cravings all the time and so today to try and control it I had a slice of wholemeal bread with nutella... so I got the fix of nutella but the bread meant I'm too full to try and keep going like I would've done before. I agree with the others who have said look at it over a week too.
  • Tlively13
    Tlively13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I find if i have these things in the house it is easier to eat, of course i have to buy them for my son and husband. so I ask my self before i open WILL THIS HELP ME REACH MY GOAL? my answer is no..
    IF i was to ask myself do i want this my answer will clearly be YES..
    I chew gum to help me get pass the urge to chew
  • fionaface
    fionaface Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, I totally forgot about gum! I do have some unopened packets of gum in the house right now, and I'll try to make that my "go-to munchie" the next time I get the urge. Great plan!!!
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this site as well. And I agree, it is a great place to find support (and inspiration) as well as keeping up with the calories. And while I've not gone over my calorie amount there have been days when I start eating and can't stop---and I don't mean veggies! It's like that one small cookie triggers something and I'm off to the races just munching whatever (usually unhealthy) I can find. Then I have to record it and adjust the rest of my accordingly.

It seems like from what I read, you do this more in the evening and then have an oh well, defeatist attitude when you go over your calorie allotment. It's hard to quit sometimes!
    I have been so tempted to do the same and this is how I've so far been able to avoid that pitfall:

After I'm finished with my supper I log it in. If I have not gone over my calorie count I ask myself if I want anything else tonight. A serving of Girl Scout cookies? A cup of tea with sugar? If the answer is yes, I go ahead and log it to see if I'm still within my calorie amount. If I still want the food items I click the complete button and that is my signal that I AM DONE for the evening. I'll clean the kitchen, get whatever food I've just logged in, and get the heck out of the kitchen! And I stay out.

If I went over my allotted calories for the day, it would still be the same.
    This way, I am master over what food goes in my mouth. I am empowered. And this choice has been done with thought.

And that is what this new lifestyle is all about for me...I want to be the master of my body. And I'm choosing to not lose weight for a moment but to become healthy for a life time. Step by step and bite by bite and when I fail to get up and keep going forward instead of turning back in defeat like I've done so many times:)

Blessings and Joy!
  • y353
    y353 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well if you don't do that more than once a week, I dont see too many problems. Had a binge sunday and bu tuesday I lost all extra.

BUT if you do this on a daily basis, que concept of eating less is pointless.

And if it would help, even if you pass a little you could always do a tiny walk, play some wii sports, do some sets of walking up & down stairs and expend those calories to still get under you calories goal.

Heard that Tabata sets make you lose about 60/80 calories (and thats a 4 minute workout).

But 2 of the most important things you already do: keeping track of your food and been sincere in the diary.

Cheers

:)
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    dg09 - You've lost 136 pounds?!! Amazing and very inspiring!!!
  • abbey1234
    Options
    Good idea - I might try doing that when I go over in future :)
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I would include a walking routine to your day even if it's just 20-30 min. This will allow you to gain a bit more calories.
    Also, it sounds like you don't realize what those extra calories mean-- it means you will have to work even harder- also with every extra calorie, it takes you farther and farther away from your goal. Just try to stay as close as possible- it's NOT an all or nothing deal. Please please please don't think of it that way.
    One thing I would definitely suggest is to cleanse your house of all the junk-- you shoud not have donuts, chips and pizza at easy access-- that's just an accident waiting to happen.

Good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Remember that even if you've gone over, you can change everything right now, at the very moment you're eating an extra doughnut stick. You don't have to finish it, and going over by 70 calories is not a big deal. The next 500 that you're going to eat because you went over by 70 are when it starts to be a big deal.
  • AJMMSL
    AJMMSL Posts: 3
    Options
    Be careful since you are nursing. I have found I need more calories than I calculated and if I don't get at least a certain amount I wont loose weight, but there is a delicate balance if I go over too much i also don't loose weight. Some of us are not designed to diet while nursing :/ Out of 3 kids this is the only time I have lost weight while nursing and it is because of the tracking calories and finding out how much I have to eat to keep my body from conserving itself and how much I can cut down by and still loose weight. There is no hard fast rule for everyone. Having a slip-up day every once in a while (few and far between) can help boost weight lose during a lull if you go right back to 'healthy' eating the next several days so don't get too hard on yourself. Just don't let it happen all the time and you'll be fine! You can also always up your exercise to help make up for a tasty treat as well. Good luck to you, don't give up!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Try considering your "going over" in the context of a week. Sure, you have your daily goals, but if you look at it as in "this is going to set me back 500 calories for the week" you might be less inclined, or only inclined on the last day of that particular week.

It's about taking control and saying "No" to a bad choice. If you go over then think of it as a trade-off, are you willing to do an extra 45 minutes of cardio to cover that bag of chips? Yes? Then go ahead, indulge, but make sure your rear is doing cardio to make up for it. No? Then put the bag down and congratulate yourself for making a healthy decision.

You need to want this and you need to understand that every step you take either brings you closer to or farther away from your goal. You make the decision on how fast or slow you get there.