High Protein/ Low Carb/ Low Cost Snacks!

Options
I need some fresh ideas... I've been getting lazy and carbs are what I turn to when I'm lazy cuz they're just so EASY. What are your fave snacks that will help me up my protein intake? I have some old faves, but need some fresh ideas to keep things interesting :) TIA!

Replies

• nixrun
    nixrun Posts: 44
    Options
    almonds, I snack on these constantly if I feel the urge to eat. I just make sure not to have more than 3 servings per day.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    tuna, beef jerky.

they're my faves.

some yoghurts are high protein these days, especially greek, natural yoghurts... also adding in some powdered peanut butter can give you more protein points, but there are carbs swimming in there too!
  • butterflysue44
    Options
    Fage plain Greek yogurt with almonds and fresh fruit. If you want you can add honey to make a little weeter or stevia etc. Apple with a little of peanut butter or with a string cheese.:smile: Almonds, Cottage cheese with fruit. Hard boiled eggs. :smile: Good luck!!!!
  • odownz
    odownz Posts: 98
    Options
    almonds, I snack on these constantly if I feel the urge to eat. I just make sure not to have more than 3 servings per day.

Almonds are great! I agree!
  • odownz
    Options
    tuna, beef jerky.

they're my faves.

some yoghurts are high protein these days, especially greek, natural yoghurts... also adding in some powdered peanut butter can give you more protein points, but there are carbs swimming in there too!

Yum! Heck ya!
  • odownz
    Options
    Sometimes I will have a half a cup of lower carb yogurt with some ground flax seed! Quite delicious!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    my new like is leftover veg fro the night before mix in 1 tbsp kraft olive oil flavored dressing warm then top with cottage cheese.... has flavor
  • Karalopolous
    Options

Almonds are great! I agree!

Cocoa roast almonds!!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs - I've been having one mid morning if I'm hungry and it really keeps me full until lunch time.
  • Yacki
    Yacki Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Publix carries -

SeaPoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1/4 cup (30g)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 45Calories 130

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 4g 6%
    Saturated Fat 0.5g 2%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 150mg 6%
    Total Carbohydrate 10g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 14g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 2%

Calcium 4% Iron 10%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

I can eat a handful at a time. I also like to add this to my salad instead of croutons- it gives that crunch that I like.

Greek yogurt is another high protein snack.
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Publix carries -

SeaPoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1/4 cup (30g)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 45Calories 130

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 4g 6%
    Saturated Fat 0.5g 2%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 150mg 6%
    Total Carbohydrate 10g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 14g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 2%

Calcium 4% Iron 10%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

I can eat a handful at a time. I also like to add this to my salad instead of croutons- it gives that crunch that I like.

Greek yogurt is another high protein snack.

Those sound good... I wonder if I can find them in my small town/city in Canada ;)

Some great ideas... keep em coming! Almonds are a go-to for me, I think I need to stock up again, though! And maybe look for some Cocoa roast ones (or find a recipe, perhaps?)
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys, but I find it really difficult to meet the recommended amount of protein/day. I'm 99kg (218lb) and so should be eating in the region of 220 protein, but I can never get this much in me, even with protein shakes. Any ideas of EASY ways to boost it up. I don't have much time to mess about preparing food for the day in the kitchen, so if I can just pick it up and eat it/drink it then that's great :)
  • amberrenae1
    Options
    I am in love with the laughing cow cheese wedges on pretzel chips or celery
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    I make SF jello pudding with unsweetened vanilla almond milk (less than the recipe calls for....1.5 cups instead of 2) and 1/4 or 1/2 serving of whey protein powder (mine is birthday cake flavored). The whole THING has 200 calories and up to 14g of protein. Not super high protein, but higher than if made WITHOUT the protein powder and it satisfies the sweet tooth, too.
  • msespresso
    Options
    I make SF jello pudding with unsweetened vanilla almond milk (less than the recipe calls for....1.5 cups instead of 2) and 1/4 or 1/2 serving of whey protein powder (mine is birthday cake flavored). The whole THING has 200 calories and up to 14g of protein. Not super high protein, but higher than if made WITHOUT the protein powder and it satisfies the sweet tooth, too.

What a great idea... I never thought to add protein powder to pudding! I often see it added to granola bars, etc. but I've been told not to heat my protein powder as it kills the nutrients in it. I think I'll make some pudding tonight :)
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    I am in love with the laughing cow cheese wedges on pretzel chips or celery
    I am in love with celery and laughing cow cheese throw a green onion on top and I am in heaven!
  • msespresso
    Options
    I'm hoping to get to a local butcher to pick up some beef jerky tomorrow... been craving it since I saw it here, but I just can't bring myself to buy the stuff at the grocery store when I look at the ingredient list!

I also found a recipe for cocoa roasted almonds, which I hope to try out this weekend, but I love them plain too.

I'm stocked up on cheese and veggies, too!

Any other suggestions are welcome :)
  • DulceDollie
    DulceDollie Posts: 115
    Options
    My diet is pretty low-carb (under 30 net carbs a day), vegetarian and fairly high-protein. Here is my go-to low carb snack list:

Olives
    Peanut Butter
    Pickles
    Cheese
    Almonds
    Pistachios
    Hard-Boiled Eggs w/salt
    Strawberries w/Splenda
    whipped cream

and fake meats (all high in protein) like Morningstar's breakfast sausage links, their Chik'n patties, Tofurkey's Deli Slices wrapped with some avocado and Havarti cheese, or even a salad with cheese and some sunflower seeds.

Most are pretty low-cost except for maybe the nuts. A can of olives will last me a few days, a jar of pickles a few weeks, and the same with eggs and peanut butter. All good things to have on-hand to snack on during the day.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    - Greek yogurt with frozen mixed berries
    - protein shake with 1 cup milk, 1 cup ice, protein powder (choco is my choice) and 2 cups spinach (you don't taste the spinach and it's a great way to get your veggies in!)
    - Cottage cheese with canned fruit (my fav is pineapple)
    - Protein pancake made with protein powder and egg whites
    - Beef Jerky
    - Celery with natural peanut butter
    - Tuna salad wraps
    - Egg & Egg white omelette with cheese and veggies
    - Almonds
    - Eggs, especially hard boiled
    - Glass of milk

.... lots of choices!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for ways to get my proteins too! Here are my go-to's:

-turkey breast slices (ready to eat)
    -egg whites (omelet, scrambled, etc. or just added to dishes like frittata)
    -non-fat cottage cheese
    -cuppa skim milk, soy milk, almond milk
    -cheese (ie babybel, etc.)
    -almonds & other nuts
    -spoonful of PB :)
    -roasted chick peas (roast them in oven until crunchy then add spices and bit of olive oil)
    -hummus
    -canned tuna (added to salads, sandwiches, etc.)
    -yogurt
    etc..