Yoga

Options
I've just started practicing yoga... wow! It's a great workout, and makes me sore like nothing else. Just wondering what sort of results people who practice yoga regularly have seen, what type of yoga you are doing.

Replies

• Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    And it burns calories! Can't wait to take my HRM to my hot yoga class on Saturday to see the count. I feel so much better when I go...all the weight training muscle soreness is gone and I don't feel so compact/tight...great stretch, strengthening, and balance practice. Huge fan!
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga! Eeeeeek! That scares me, lol!
  • amzasmommy
    amzasmommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate to have a yoga instructor at work and go twice a week. We do ashtaynga yoga. (I may not have spelled that correctly). It's more of a flow through positions with some holding. There is stretching and strenght aspects to it. I just got a hrm and think I might wear it next week and see how much I burn. I've been using the estimes on mfp, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I do it in combination with other things, so I'm not sure about it's effectiveness for weight loss. I do love that it lessens any tightness I feel. Some days I'm even sore the next day depending on what we focused on since different poses engage various muscles I didn't know I had! It improves balance too which I think helps in other workouts making me more effective at those. I also notice that it completely strengthens my core without really feeling like that's happening.

Hot yoga scares me too. I honestly think I'd pass out. I do this frequently if I get overheated which happens pretty easily.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do Ashtanga too and love it. But like anything, it's not what you do, it's the way that you do (I've come over all Bananarama.....) you need to apply yourself to it, and count your calories as well to lose weight on it (that's what gets results).