Any help for breastfeeding moms on here?

Options
I am nursing my 4 month old and want to loose weight. The calorie counter says 1200 is my daily goal but I know I need at least 500 more to keep up my milk supply for her. Could someone please help?

I plan on adding three c25k "runs" per week this coming week and already added that in.

Sorry, new here and I don't have a clue what I am doing.
I am a mom to 11 children and just want to be healthy to raise them! I am aiming at staying active with/for them!

Thanks!

Replies

• st82
    st82 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello,
    You can add breastfeeding into your snacks and this will factor you in an extra 500 calories. x
  • sebbysmommy
    sebbysmommy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is 1,500 to 1,800 net a day for breastfeeding moms. Also be sure you are getting plenty of water :)
  • JustinaSanchez
    Options
    Drink lots of water. eat 300 - 500 extra calories a day. I drink mother milk tea. Its has many of the key ingredients to keep a healthy milk supply. Since starting my weightloss almost a month ago I have been consuming an average of 1300 calories a day in comination with drinking mother milke tea and my supply has remained the same.
  • missusmechanic
    Options
    thanks...how do I add calories into the 1200 it gave me?
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    you add it like a food, put in breastfeeding and you will get several options to add. Full time is 500 per day. :)
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    If you want it to set your calorie goal to 1700 go to: MY HOME tab - goals- change goals - custom set - and then change your calorie intake goal. Hope that helps :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 4 month old and want to loose weight. The calorie counter says 1200 is my daily goal but I know I need at least 500 more to keep up my milk supply for her. Could someone please help?

I plan on adding three c25k "runs" per week this coming week and already added that in.

Sorry, new here and I don't have a clue what I am doing.
    I am a mom to 11 children and just want to be healthy to raise them! I am aiming at staying active with/for them!

Thanks!

My pediatrician told me not to cut calories until my daughter is at least 6 months old and solids so that I can make sure my body gets enough nutrition. I suggest eating at maintenance and adding at least 500 calories for breastfeeding. I'm pumping 40-45 ounces a day and burning 800-900 calories because of it. I've been having a hard time eating enough so I can't exercise yet, which is a bummer.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. eat 300 - 500 extra calories a day. I drink mother milk tea. Its has many of the key ingredients to keep a healthy milk supply. Since starting my weightloss almost a month ago I have been consuming an average of 1300 calories a day in comination with drinking mother milke tea and my supply has remained the same.

While cutting calories can negatively affect your milk supply the bigger concern is you getting enough nutrition. You need to be eating more than 1300 calories if you're breastfeeding!
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I add 'breastfeeding' to dinner, it comes up as 'breastfeeding -500 cals' so gives you 500 extra :) Works well for me. Make sure you drink plenty of water and eat back most if not all exercise cals. Your body needs the extra! You don't want your milk supply to reduce.

Happy feeding and losing!!

edit to add: don't try losing weight too hard. your body needs the 'fuel' (food!) and if you stick to healthy snacks the weight will come off anyway. Make sure to eat loads of oats etc that's supporting your milk supply ;)
  • missusmechanic
    Options
    Thanks! I am just going to exercise be taking walk at least three times a week right now. I know I'd loose my milk if I did anything more! Now to just eat enough good calories......that is my problem, I hate to eat.

Also, I left the count at 1200 and added a snack of breastfeeding 5 times a day which gave me an extra 600 calories...so I am off to eat a snack.
  • pipipu
    pipipu Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow i did not know i can add brestfeeding as snacks, I will do that for sure .....I am still breastfeeding my 15 month old 2 times in the day and at night !!! Thanks
  • pipipu
    pipipu Posts: 9
    Options
    Yeah ...!!!
  • diaz2012
    diaz2012 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    same here im also trying to lose weight, my calories were set to 1360 and i add the -500 so it gives me 1860 per day plus i excercise and try not to eat all of the calories burned, but my scale hasent moved i dont know what to do =( ill add you so we can stay motivated
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had no idea you could add breastfeeding to your meals as negative calories! Pretty cool... although I kinda got used to those calories being extra and unknown. I'm definitely eating enough.. so I'm not really worried about that. My baby (not really any more... sad face) is 14.5 months. So, we're down to morning, night, and occasional weekend feedings with no pumping. I'm estimating he gets about 2 oz per side per feeding since I'm not producing much anymore... only estimating about 80 extra cals a day. About time to wean him, but he whines for milk! I wish he was a self-weaner... but I think I'm out of luck!
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Me and my girl are going through the weaning process so I've started trying to lose weight. Just found out about the breastfeeding option. I'm going to give it a try and see what it does to my diet :). I just hope it's not overestimating at the 200 setting since I pretty much only breastfeed in the morning and at night. More on the weekends. We'll see how it goes!

My doctor recommended that I stay on my prenatal meds while breastfeeding. Also, I agree that Mother's Milk is great for maintaining milk supply. It's pretty tasty too...
  • hiamyk
    hiamyk Posts: 2
    Options
    Any help for me? I've been stuck at 175 lbs after my first 10 lbs gone and I am so so so beyond frustrated. How many calories should I eat a day? I ate 1200 for 4 months with intense exercises (a Jillian Michaels video) 5-6 times a week. My kids got sick and I took 2 weeks off from exercising and tried WW and I'm at the same weight I am right now, still stuck at 175. So I feel like eating more or less with more or less exercise yields the same results. I have a 13 month old that I am breast feeding, especially more in the last 2 weeks when I added 200-300 extra calories a day and he's eating much better now and I feel my supply coming back I just want to be healthy, but I feel like I'm going to be carrying my baby weight forever! Any tips? I"m fine with people looking at my diary and giving me any tips they have :) I need a coach or something!
  • Finkerbell
    Finkerbell Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My daughter just turned two and I'm finally getting to my goal weight. I had a horrible time trying to lose weight while nursing - everything I did messed up my supply. Very frustrating. Just enjoy this time with them and be patient. It is easier when you don't have the added stress of making sure your munchkin is getting enough too.:smile: