What do you think of Slim Fast?

Options
2»

Replies

• 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are haters out there (there are haters of everything on MFP) but I am a big fan of Slim Fast. I've gotten away from it, but the first time I lost a lot of weight I had a Slim Fast shake nearly every morning for breakfast [Chocolate Royale + nonfat milk + ice + frozen fruit = delicious!] and it was very satisfying. I've actually been thinking a lot lately about going back to them. It's super quick and convenient.

I have no idea where you are, but if you're going with the canned variety, the Walmart (Equate) brand actually tastes better than the Slim Fast (and is cheaper, I think).

Also, for the record, I have kept off 40 lbs for over 5 years.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Why not just take a multi and drink a protein shake? I think that would be much more beneficial.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I keep them on hand. They are good to have if I'm still hungry after a small meal--they are like a dessert that fills me up. They have saved me from bingeing several times. I also like them as a quick something after a run when I don't really feel like eating but need something. I wouldn't do the whole diet thing though, I like food I can chew!
  • TamImbrogno
    TamImbrogno Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have used it during weightloss. It has worked both times. First time I dropped 32lbs in 8wks and this time I dropped 25lbs in 6wksusing it. I always buy the powder and add almond vanilla milk!! I am phasing out of it now as i am ready to replace with real food!!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are haters out there (there are haters of everything on MFP) but I am a big fan of Slim Fast. I've gotten away from it, but the first time I lost a lot of weight I had a Slim Fast shake nearly every morning for breakfast [Chocolate Royale + nonfat milk + ice + frozen fruit = delicious!] and it was very satisfying. I've actually been thinking a lot lately about going back to them. It's super quick and convenient.

I have no idea where you are, but if you're going with the canned variety, the Walmart (Equate) brand actually tastes better than the Slim Fast (and is cheaper, I think).

But you still have 85lbs to lose? This does not convince me slimfast or equate is any better than a sugary vitamin drink. When you're ready to build muscle replace it with something that has more protein and is more filling.
  • KLWELL400
    KLWELL400 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have one slim-fast a day before my exercise workout. I had back surgery in 2007 and they wanted me to drink the Boost several times a day, EXPENSIVE! My hubby was comparing ingredients on the Boost and the Slim-fast and they are exactly the same so he bought me slim-fast. The surgeon was astonished at my recovery, I was walking a mile a day (before the fibro) only 3 weeks after surgery.
    I had the surgery to fuse L4-L5 after it was found that the bones were sitting on top of each other with no cushion of the disc it had ruptured and caused my spine to start fraying the spinal cord. The spinal cord was shorting out you might say and had to be shaved and then cauterized, the team of doctors were looking to get me back on my feet in 8 weeks and 4 months of pain pills. I was walking the mile in 3 weeks and off the pain pills in the same time.
    I think that the protein in the slim-fast helped my recovery as I was unable to eat any solids for the first two weeks after surgery, only slim-fast.
    So it really is up to the person on if they want to do the whole slim-fast deal, as for me I will continue my one a day as a protein boost. I do not use it as a weight-loss tool but tend to eat healthier and exercise more. Have a great day!:smile:
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat real food whenever possible, however, I keep Slim Fast bars in my car for "emergencies". I work in outside sales and sometimes a proper lunch doesn't fit into my schedule. I refuse to eat drive thru food; I don't care that the fast food chains have made attempts at healthier offerings, I still think it's all just gross. The bars and the shakes are shelf stable so they are easy to keep in the car.
  • marzekiel
    marzekiel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I prefer "Labrada LeanBody for Her" because it has 30gr protein and I can to my "4-hour-Body" 30 grains as fast as possible after awakening. It is effective for me.

In the past, I really liked Atkins drinks, but for several months, no matter where I bought them, they were curdled. Atkins sent me a few free coupons, but I became frustrated and concerned about their quality control. Needing to return more than a dozen Atkins drinks over months made me Atkins-shy. Further, too little protein and too much soy for my hypothyroid body!

But I'm a great believer in doing what works for you! I want high protein and low carbs. Labrada works for me best.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast sux...

This is where its at!!!
    07235000011_450x450_a-1.jpg
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

But you still have 85lbs to lose? This does not convince me slimfast or equate is any better than a sugary vitamin drink. When you're ready to build muscle replace it with something that has more protein and is more filling.

I'm not really sure how this is relevant? When I was using it, Slim Fast helped me lose weight. I didn't lose all the weight I wanted to lose for a myriad of reasons, none of which had anything to do with Slim Fast.

I'm not a big fan of the canned variety and rarely bought it, but I was working full time and in school full time then, so I occasionally used them just for the sake of convenience. Using the powder and adding frozen fruit tastes much better.
  • laila_ifhtab
    Options
    i lost a stone in 6 weeks with slimfast and its quick and easy
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It makes me poop blood, so I have a pretty bad opinion of it.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think I like a real meal with food I can chew rather than calories out of a can. I think I'll never want to buy those shakes FOREVER to maintain my weight loss.

BUT, that's just me. You do as you like :)