New to any type of work out routine... Help!

Options
Gave up Smoking 7weeks ago.
I have been walking daily for 30 days now. I joined the gym last week and have yet to go. I REALLY enjoy my daily walk in the park and am up to 3 miles per day. I want to start "couch to 5k" today. I have program downloaded to smart phone.
What I want to know is what is a good switch up from gym to park ? I am also in need of a good workout routine to follow. I really need to tone up as I lose weight.
All advice is appreciated.

Replies

• tina01tn
    tina01tn Posts: 12
    Options
    bump*
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Gave up Smoking 7weeks ago.
    I have been walking daily for 30 days now. I joined the gym last week and have yet to go. I REALLY enjoy my daily walk in the park and am up to 3 miles per day. I want to start "couch to 5k" today. I have program downloaded to smart phone.
    What I want to know is what is a good switch up from gym to park ? I am also in need of a good workout routine to follow. I really need to tone up as I lose weight.
    All advice is appreciated.

Congrats on quitting smoking, that in itself is a major accomplishment.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "switch up from gym to park", would I be correct in thinking you won't be using your gym membership? In terms of setting up a fitness program (in addition to your walks and C2kK program) perhaps one of the trainers there would be best able to help you start a program that's right for your current level of fitness and goals.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Most gyms provide some type of intro session usually with a personal trainer. That could be a good place to start to get you into the gym with some ideas on initial workouts. I started at a gym in January and I took a clip board with me to make notes when I experimented with the machines and free weights. I did have a little knowledge of form and such so I am not sure if that is a good idea for you. I know the gym can be a little intimidating at first. Maybe also check out their class schedule - that could be another way to get yourself in there!

Congrats on the quitting smoking and the walking! I started with walking myself getting back into shape.
  • greeneyed_beachgirl
    Options
    Get New Rules of Lifting For Women.
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey Tina,

We must have caught the same bug. I just quit smoking 3 months ago, I walk 3-4 miles in our park next door and I started lifting weights 2 months ago.

What I like to do is a full-body workout for about an hour. Quality is better than quantity so, I do all muscle groups and don't worry about heavy weights or killing myself. I do this every other day and not more but, sometimes less.

I do love to walk in our park. I listen to military cadences. They motivate me, give me a pace to follow and a goal to shoot for (pace/speed wise).

For me I like to walk first-thing in the morning. I'll usually have a whey protien shake, some coffee, sit around for a-bit have a banana and go for my walk.

Same for when I workout. Sometimes I'll workout, have my post workout whey shake, start cleaning the house, eat lunch, do stuff for atleast a few hours, maybe even nap, and then go for a walk.

I tried the "gym membership" and can't do it. By the time I get motivated, ready and to the gym I forget why I why so excited to go in the first place. Plus, I don't really like people (in general). I bought a used $150. home gym and love it.
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Get some fitness magazines and go into the gym and try everything. If you dont know how to use something ask. I am always helping people with equipment. Switch it up and find what you like, take a spin class, yoga, kick boxing, zumba....have fun while doing it!!! Great job on the smoking thing!!! You ROCK!
  • tina01tn
    Options
    when I say switch up from park to gym , i mean "x amount of days in gym/ x amount of days walking" or is it logical to think that I can do both? or will it be TOO much?
    I do want to go to the gym, I've paid for it but I don't even know where to begin.... clueless.
  • tina01tn
    Options
    Hey Tina,

We must have caught the same bug. I just quit smoking 3 months ago, I walk 3-4 miles in our park next door and I started lifting weights 2 months ago.

What I like to do is a full-body workout for about an hour. Quality is better than quantity so, I do all muscle groups and don't worry about heavy weights or killing myself. I do this every other day and not more but, sometimes less.

I do love to walk in our park. I listen to military cadences. They motivate me, give me a pace to follow and a goal to shoot for (pace/speed wise).

For me I like to walk first-thing in the morning. I'll usually have a whey protien shake, some coffee, sit around for a-bit have a banana and go for my walk.

Same for when I workout. Sometimes I'll workout, have my post workout whey shake, start cleaning the house, eat lunch, do stuff for atleast a few hours, maybe even nap, and then go for a walk.

I tried the "gym membership" and can't do it. By the time I get motivated, ready and to the gym I forget why I why so excited to go in the first place. Plus, I don't really like people (in general). I bought a used $150. home gym and love it.

Congrats to you for quitting as well!! :)
    Thanks for the input. I really want to get back in shape.

I also like to walk first thing in the morning.
    I like to listen to upbeat fast paced music ... metallica, enter sandman is my favorite.
    I work an evening shift so I try to get everything in before work.
  • rcramer7
    Options
    Nice on the music selection! Makes me want to throw some AC/DC on and go mess up my shoes (it's raining).

Nothing wrong with weight training and cardio. You can do a good workout once or twice a week and get great results. When you lift weights you will build/tone muscle. Unlike cardio, weight training burns cals for days. Cardio only burns it when you're doing it (mostly).

Just listen to your body and don't over-do-it. Have fun.
  • rcramer7
    Options
    Also, If you're finding it hard to get to the gym you don't have to. The most productive exercises are pushups, SQUATS, dips, sit-ups...When you get the feeling start doing some! I'm sure after a few weeks you will feel stronger and will probably end up at the gym flaunting your muscles.
  • cpmerker
    cpmerker Posts: 1
    Options
    A cool new system that I just purchased is the TRX Suspension Training. I think its worth a check out, you can take it any where, you could even do it in the park that you like to walk. check them out at http://www.trxtraining.com/learn/ The nice thing is it ranges from people new to work outs and the diehards aswell.