Calling all FT Mom's!

Options

Replies

• nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm a FT mom w/ 4 kids ranging from 3 to 17. There are weeks where my only hope for exercise is on the weekend and I accept that. Now that the weather is nice, I've been using my lunch hour at work to take a walk. At least I'm getting in something. There are some nights where I take 10 minutes and do jumping jacks, etc... too knowing that anything is better than nothing. I tried mornings and it just doesn't work for me. Set realistic goals. You'll figure it out! Just give yourself a little slack while you're adjusting and stay aware. You'll make it!

This. I have a 2.5 year old and an 11 month old. I usually end up working out after they are in bed and all the cleaning is done (about 10pm). I am not a morning person so that is not an option lol
    I make sure to leave my office every hour and go to the bathroom and do about 100 jumping jacks or run in place for 2 minutes. Doing those things 7 times a day starts to add up. I also make sure to park as far away as possible and get in some extra steps.
    You will find small bursts of time that you can get a little bit done:)
  • Niccan81
    Niccan81 Posts: 10
    Options
    My daughter and I do work out videos together or wii games. She doesn't work very hard and usually is more interested in acting like it's SOOOO hard, and it kinda makes it go faster! My son will go running with me and is always up for anything fun outside! Mostly I have set days and times when I work out. I haven't been to the gym in a while, because of some back issues and lack of "want to", but will start scheduling time again this upcoming week. I actually log it in my calendar as an appointment. Yes ultimately it can be missed if there is a project that's due, or something like that, but I try to sit down and figure out the week. What's going on, who has what due, who has to be where when, and stuff like that. A lot of times though, I won't get to the gym until after the kids are settled in for the night.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I work full time as well as having two toddlers at home. It took me a while to figure out how to juggle working out, plus working full time, cooking, cleaning, playing/teaching the toddlers and then finding time for the hubs and I. And I hate the feeling of taking away "family time" to workout. So what I do is I do short high intensity workouts throughout the day. Usually a combination of toning/cardio. The toning normally in the morning and the cardio normally in the evening. In the morning I wake up about 30 minutes earlier and do a short 15 minute weight lifting / toning exercises while everyone's asleep... shower and then I am off to work. In the evening the hubs normally watches the kids for about 15-20 so I can do another exercise (normally after dinner). If the hubs can't watch the kids or if they just want to be with me... sometimes I just workout with them! They LOVE to imitate my workouts, and they even count with me when I am doing reps or counting down the time. On work days I do 2 workouts, and on Saturdays 3 workouts, and Sundays are my "rest day". I don't go to a gym, or following any program or dvd... I create my own workouts. And we just recently created a room in our home just for "working out" so that helps me a lot having that space to do it - although I don't use much equipment. I typically exercise for 30 - 40 minutes a day Monday-Friday total and 45 minutes to a hour total on Saturdays.

In the beginning (back in Jan. of this year) I was biking a hour a day in the afternoon... but it just got boring and hard to find a whole free hour to do that! So thats when I started changing up my routines, shortening them and increasing their intensity. It makes it much easier to find the time to complete them, they keep me interested, and the higher the intensity the more cals you burn in that time period :smile:
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I know you said you're not a morning person, but that's the only time I have to exercise. Evenings are full with the usual mommy stuff like cooking, kids' homework, etc. When I worked out in the evening, I wasn't consistent averaging 1-3 days/wk because something usually got in the way or I just didn't feel like it. I started working out in the morning 2 yrs ago and since then, I've been consistently exercising 6 days/wk. Some weeks I take 2 rest days instead of 1 when I feel it's needed. It's not easy when you first attempt working out in the morning, but the more you do it, the easier it gets. I like to get it done in the morning because that's one less thing I have to do in the evening. I work out at home which saves time. I'm a single mom of 3 boys ages 11, 13, and 15. I work 9-5:30.
  • ksanchez311
    Options
    I've never been a morning person, either, but I've gotten to the point where I'm just sucking it up and going early before work. I have someone to watch my daughter after work, but I would rather spend that time with my daughter. Especially with the weather getting nicer, I hate to waste that time indoors at the gym. So my alarm is set for 5am. :/
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    My kids go crazy over riding their damn scooters. So they get on their scooters, and away we go! Around the block a few times, takes 15-20 mins and we are done. By then I've walked the dog , gotten my work out in, and spent time with the kids. Also, since they like to go fast, it gives me reason to jog, and NOT stop.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either. I have 4 littles (10, 7, 5, 3) I am usually working out around 8pm after they are all taken care of. Sometimes later than that once they are in bed. For me it defeats the purpose of me trying to workout & to keep getting interrupted by them, because they just need something & I'm the only one that can do it right!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I am a SINGLE full time mom who also works full time.

At the moment I get home and eat dinner, ect and then I do my exercise after he goes to bed.
    I dont have time to go to the gym right now but I do work out with my work out dvds.

I am still debating whether I want to get up an hour earlier then normal to work out then, havent decided yet...
  • JustinaSanchez
    Options
    Hi! I work FT and I am a mom to a 7 month old little girl. Its not easy but I try to walk everyday for 30min either during my lunch or any break I can get. It's easiest if you can get a group of coworkers to join you and start making it a habit, that way if you ever dont want to go someone else is there to motivate you. Also really utilize your weekends. Take out one hour of each Saturday and Sunday and do what you can. You are just as important as every member of your family and you need to take care of yourself to continue to take care of your family. Do what you can wwhen you can. Good luck!!
  • Sassybrat1
    Options
    My kids are young so I try to get it in after they go to bed but before I do all the other stuff (make lunches, laundry etc.) I also try and get a walk in during my work day. I only get a 1/2 hour lunch but it is enough to go for a walk or climb the stairs if the weather is not nice. I also agree that you should make the most of your weekends.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I work out during my lunch hour and during baseball practices...I also wake up at 4 am on weekends to get my weekend burn on! I work 40 plus, have three small kids and a hubs..baseball, homework, dinner, lunches, baths etc...! Its ALOT of work to fit it all in..but its possible..Tuesday night I was so exhausted I could barely move...but I did..and felt great afterwards!
  • determined1221
    determined1221 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom of one and work almost FT. I'm also not a morning person. When I started working out I was sneaking in a half an hour workout before bed. After a week I gave up and started getting up a half an hour earlier... than an hour earlier... and now I get up at 5:30 to do an hour workout before work. It gives me a lot more energy to get through the day and I have enough energy to get everything I need to get done at home plus playing outside with my son. Also, I agree with all the crock pot comments- best way to have dinner done! Good luck figuring out what works best for you!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I work out during my lunch hour and during baseball practices...I also wake up at 4 am on weekends to get my weekend burn on! I work 40 plus, have three small kids and a hubs..baseball, homework, dinner, lunches, baths etc...! Its ALOT of work to fit it all in..but its possible..Tuesday night I was so exhausted I could barely move...but I did..and felt great afterwards!

Oh yeah. Lunch time. Where I work, we have a gym, so that's an option, if you don't have tattoos that you don't want everyone to knwo about. Ha, ha.
  • newlyknit
    newlyknit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's not just a mom problem, so I'm going to chime in for a couple of reasons.

The thing about not being a "morning person". Well, I'm not a "working person" either. Nor, am I a "full time dad person". I'm also not a "eat healthy and exercise everyday person". I'm also not a "save your money and buy things when you have the cash rather than just spaz out and buy whatever I want on a credit card person". Ya know? I'm not a lot of things that I do. But, I do them because I either have to, or because they are things that result in positive outcomes rather than negative ones.

For a working full-time parent, I have found two things that work well.

1) Either get up early before the chaos and have "me time" where you can do your workouts.
    2) Do it at night, after the chaos settles down.

There's a third, if you have someone that can watch them so you can go straight to the gym or whatever right after work. That's a nice option, but most single full-time parents can't do that because of homework, sports, etc.

So, given the options, I opt to get my butt out of bed early and get it done. I don't like doing it like that. If I had my way, I'd wake up around 9 or 9:30, drink coffee and screw around for an hour or two, go for a run, come home, make something to eat. Check email for a bit. Then, go take a nap. Call in to work after nap and see if they need me for anything. Hopefully not. Then, enjoy the rest of the day. Yeah, well, until I win the lotto, that aint my life.

Re-read this and it comes off a little harsh. Sorry, I'm grumpy. But, it's meant to motivate, not to be mean.

not harsh... and I totally agree. I'm especially not a "working person"
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options

The thing about not being a "morning person". Well, I'm not a "working person" either. Nor, am I a "full time dad person". I'm also not a "eat healthy and exercise everyday person". I'm also not a "save your money and buy things when you have the cash rather than just spaz out and buy whatever I want on a credit card person". Ya know? I'm not a lot of things that I do. But, I do them because I either have to, or because they are things that result in positive outcomes rather than negative ones.

1) Either get up early before the chaos and have "me time" where you can do your workouts.

There's a third, if you have someone that can watch them so you can go straight to the gym or whatever right after work. That's a nice option, but most single full-time parents can't do that because of homework, sports, etc.

So, given the options, I opt to get my butt out of bed early and get it done. I don't like doing it like that. If I had my way, I'd wake up around 9 or 9:30, drink coffee and screw around for an hour or two, go for a run, come home, make something to eat. Check email for a bit. Then, go take a nap. Call in to work after nap and see if they need me for anything. Hopefully not. Then, enjoy the rest of the day. Yeah, well, until I win the lotto, that aint my life.

Re-read this and it comes off a little harsh. Sorry, I'm grumpy. But, it's meant to motivate, not to be mean.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I work full-time. I already get up at 4:30am to get ready for work and get the kids ready for school/babysitter. So getting up earlier doesn't work for me. I have formed a group of co-workers and we all walk together at lunch. I count on those calories and cardio workouts. We typically walk 2-3 miles depending on the day during our lunch break. Then when I get home, I either go straight to my workout area and do my weight/strength training (if dinner is a quick fix) or start dinner and then go and do my workout. i have found that my crockpot during the week is my best friend! That makes dinner less than 10 minutes onto the table. I will fix the kids plates, then my hubby and I will do our workouts before we eat.

We both work full-time and work different schedules. So this has become great hubby/wife time. Our workout area is in the basement. So we talk about our days, family activities, etc while working out. It is great stress relief as well. Especially after a really long or tough day.

We have been swamped at work. Working through part of our lunch. So my co-workers and I are missing our walks this week. Which sucks. And the weather has been beautiful this week. but hopefully we will get caught up and back on track next week.

Hope these suggestions help. I know working out with my co-workers and hubby makes me push harder and farther than I would on my own.
  • HilaryP22
    HilaryP22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person at all either!! Some days I take my daughter on a walk and that's my exercise, other days I work out after she goes to bed. You might have to stay up later, but you can do it!
  • bltmgray
    bltmgray Posts: 163 Member
    Options

LOL! It's not harsh. It actually made me laugh. That's what I would do also. LOL!
  • bltmgray
    bltmgray Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was a single mom of two with a full time job and a dog. I utilized the crock pot a bit. When the kids got old enough, 6 & 12, I let them each choose a cookbook (one chose cuban and another chose all american homestyle favorites) . Each would pick a recipe out of their cookbook and I'd add the ingredients to the weekly grocery list. (actually in those days it was MONTHLY grocery list) And....in retrospect monthly worked out great! 24 hour Walmart. Two nights a week the kids cooked, then we'd have left overs two nights. This freed up the living room where I could work out for an hour and still chaperone in case the smoke alarm went off. So between the cooking day and two left over nights, freed up 4 hours of work out time. The kids have great memories of these times and still talk about it with their own kids!

I hope this helps. It's frustrating that there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done, but you can and will find a way.

Thank you! These are great ideas! Mine are 7 and 10, so this would be perfect for them.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have to go in the mornings... I work 9-6 and don't usually get home until at least 6:30 so I have to get it over with first thing. Most days, though, I only have to get up about 6:45 to get my son ready for my husband to drop him off at daycare and get to the gym around 7:15 so I can get in at least a half an hour bf work. I also try to walk a half an hour at work every day (I work in a large building so I can do it rain or shine).
    You could always do DVDs during the week and save the gym for weekends too. That way you don't have to worry about travel time and you still get at least 3-5 days in a week.