Not Losing

Options
I've been at this for a few months now and have yet to lose even close to what's expected. I eat a well balanced diet and exercise 5-6 days a week (cardio & strength).

I have a setting at 1 lb per week which is approx 1400 calories and a 40carb, 35protein, 25fat balance. I take measurements and try not to rely on the scale for progress. However, my measurements aren't changing at all. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I have an open diary so if you could please check it out and give me some honest advice, that'd be great. I'm losing hope and motivation.

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories burned during exercise? With a HRM?

If you are accurately tracking calories burned during exercise, then I would say, based on your diary and how much you have to lose, that you are not eating enough. I would set your goal to lose 1/2 lb per week, accurately track all food and exercise, and eat most/all of those exercise calories.
  • _Shelley_
    _Shelley_ Posts: 206
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories burned during exercise? With a HRM?

If you are accurately tracking calories burned during exercise, then I would say, based on your diary and how much you have to lose, that you are not eating enough. I would set your goal to lose 1/2 lb per week, accurately track all food and exercise, and eat most/all of those exercise calories.

No, I don't have an HRM. I usually underestimate my cal burn though just to be sure. Thank you :)
  • birdieintx
    birdieintx Posts: 298
    Options
    ^ I think that is good advice. I started to plateau and I upped my calories by 200 a week and began losing again.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My suspicion is that you're not eating enough. How long are your gym workouts? If you're doing hours at the gym, you'll need lots of energy! You need to keep your body fueled to keep those muscles going at full speed. The changes will come soon. Slow and steady is the best way to go.

I'm frustrated too. I'm having trouble losing on a plan that had me dropping tons of weight just 2 years ago. But I wasn't training for a 5k then. Nor was I taking bellydance and yoga lessons. I fear I may need to change my eating habits too! I've lost lots of inches, but some days, it just doesn't feel like all that much progress! I really understand where you're coming from!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough. I checked your diary over the last week and you weren't within 100 calories of your target any day...some days you were well short of it. I recommend aiming to come within 75 calories of your target (either up or down) each day.

Also, get some more protein going...will make a big difference with the strength training.

Third, aim for 12 cups of water each day. try it for a couple of weeks and see if it helps.

Finally, you may be exercising too much. If you don't give your muscles sufficient time to recover, then you are ignoring half of the equation.
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    My suspicion is that you're not eating enough. How long are your gym workouts? If you're doing hours at the gym, you'll need lots of energy! You need to keep your body fueled to keep those muscles going at full speed. The changes will come soon. Slow and steady is the best way to go.

I'm frustrated too. I'm having trouble losing on a plan that had me dropping tons of weight just 2 years ago. But I wasn't training for a 5k then. Nor was I taking bellydance and yoga lessons. I fear I may need to change my eating habits too! I've lost lots of inches, but some days, it just doesn't feel like all that much progress! I really understand where you're coming from!

When I ride, it's a 45 min ride and I do strength beforehand for about 30 minutes.
    When I go for walks it all depends on how far I go but it's usually about an hour or so.

Funny thing is, when I stopped calorie counting...I lost weight. When I started it up again, I stopped losing lol.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    It looks like you don't have much left to lose. Your weight is already down pretty low. If that's the case, you might consider changing your settings to lose only 1/2 lb a week. As others have said, you're probably not eating enough for your weight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Switch to a half pound a week and eat most of your exercise calories.

Take photos in your skivvies or a bikini, and don't stress about the number on the scale.
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Switching my goal to 1/2lb per week :) And I will start to eat more, too.