Gotta have a hysterectomy, wonder what effect it will have?

Options
Going in April 11th to have a much needed hysterectomy. I wonder if it will give me more motivation to continue on the journey of weight loss, or if it will de-motivated me. Anyone else been in this situation?

Replies

• Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I am still a little tender and can't exercise as hard as I would like. For me, I was so ill before my hyst that I could only do what I had to do and it didn't involve exercise. I felt so bad I was eating, trying to find enough energy to move (I was anemic along with other problems). For the last year or two I have been dragging around. It culminated in being nearly bedridden the last 2 months before surgery.

I am a very slow healer. I had a lap hyst in December and for the last month or so have resumed gently exercising. The first few weeks can be tough just to get around depending on your body and surgery type. But, as you start to feel better you can start walking. Follow drs. instruction to weight limits. Make sure you heal properly so don't over do it. You don't want to end up having a set back.

Now that I'm feeling better I am very motivated to work out and eat properly. Some of how your weight loss goes is going to depend on whether you keep your ovaries or not. If you go into surgical menopause you will have some of the problems that many women have with menopause and the reduction of estrogen.

A great place for hyst support is hystersisters.com.
  • lbatton
    lbatton Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I found that the weight was slower to come off my hysterectomy. I had everything removed including my ovaries, so the shock to my body of not having any estrogen at 45 was big. My recovery was quick since I had a lap hyst, but it is important to follow the doctor's order on weight lifting restrictions.

I was back to work in a week and walking daily.
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I have lost about 30 pounds since having my hysto on July 8. I put off the surgery for years because I was afraid of side effects, etc. etc. but I have never been happier. I am pain free for the first time in years. I don't even know if there is ibuprofen in the house and before I wouldn't have been able to exist without taking it constantly all day every day (including waking up in the middle of the night in pain and having to take it or something stronger). I think like anything it is what you make it. If you think it's going to be a barrrier to weight loss it will be. I have not seen any difference between my weight loss attempts in the past and my journey now which so far has been very successful.

the two things I did post op that helped TREMENDOUSLY is drink plenty of water while healing and walk as much as possible. I walked up and down my driveway a few times a day (mind you I was hunched over like a "c" and holding my belly. that walking not only helped speed my healing but also greatly helps get other things "moving" and trust me you WANT to help that along!

I also had a total hysto and I am 41. I am on an estrogen patch however which has helped keep me from having hot flashes (yay) and I really think I'm more in balance hormone wise than I ever was before. I had to have a full cut because of the extensive damage from endometriosis (part of my colon and bladder were litterally stuck to my uterus - good stuff). the incision pain was the worst part but walking also helped that.

I agree with sharonks that hystersisters is a great site - you'll find loads of support there.

be kind to yourself and give yourself time to heal but do get moving right away at least by walking around the house when you can because it will really help!
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    Bumping this - I have to have a hysterectomomy too - I'm putting if off because I want to lose weight first!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I had a lap hysterectomy 4 years ago. I lost over 80 lbs after that. The relief of not having so many TOM problems was the best. Here in Canada, my doctor told me to take 6 weeks off work, but I was up and walking quickly.

Ask your doctor what exercise you can do and when you will be able to start it and follow what they say.

As to the fears that you will gain, that is entirely up to you..
  • Droope2
    Droope2 Posts: 82
    Options
    I am 36yrs old had a hysto just about 6 years ago, I kept one ovary, then shortly after was diagnosed with Hashimotos (thyroid) disease, I put on well over 150 in those 6 years, I did find no matter what I did, I couldn't lose more than 20lbs, but after talking with the nutritionist and being approved for gastric bypass in the fall, I decided enough was enough and really got serious, this week alone I have lost 6 lbs with just changing up a few things, so I think it's entirely possible to be successful after a hysto. The only one problem I can see is the tenderness in the belly area, it takes quite a bit of time to heal up, unless you are just having a vaginal hysto (that was my plan until they found a huge cyst, ended up being cut wide open) my friend was up and moving just fine in about a week after a vaginal. Just stay determined and I am positive you will do just fine :)
  • mferguson0531
    mferguson0531 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I am having a laproscopic hysterectomy to remove just my uterus. I have several polyps inside that have tested negative for cancer. But I have a very large fibroid that is in the uterine muscle that grows fast. They cannot biopsy it because of where it is. I have been on my period for over a year now with pain and extreme anemia. I am exhausted, tired, and feel guilty for eating food and having no way to burn it off. If I go to the gym now I pay with either an embarrising leak or with pain later. I also have Fibromyalgia and Disc Degenerative Disease in my back. But by far the worse is this constant going. And going way beyond a normal level or even a "heavy" level. I am excited for the surgery just because I want a shot at normal life again. Thanks again for the info.