bicycle riding

Options
I started riding again but my butt is killing me. I have a gel seat cover but doesn't seem to help.
Anyone have any ideas for bike riding comfort? and proper seat height?

thanks

Replies

• colofitguyfm
    Options
    There are special seats for men and women above and beyond a gel pad. Check them out at the bike shop.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Padded shorts are the solution to your 'pain problem'.

You need to adjust the seat so your leg is straight when your heel is on the pedal. When you put the ball of your foot on the pedal your knee should be slightly bent.

If you do a search on You Tube you should be able to find some videos explaining how to set up the seat. You may need to move it back/forward as well as up/down and you need to look at the angle front/back as well.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm primarily a runner but I can offer you the advice I got when I started cycling. Fit is HUGE. I think this REI article gives great advice on proper fit: http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/bike+fit.html

As far as your butt, I found the gel seats to be awful. I have a pretty small saddle that basically jsut supports my sit bones. I figure less contact= less hurt. Also, you'll get more tolerance for the butt soreness after several rides. I find if I'm out of the saddle for a week or two a lot more soreness comes back after my next ride. You'll adapt. Cycling shorts might not be a bad idea.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's a complex topic. The best way to set your bicycle up is have a shop do a fit for you.

Failing that, there are a lot of bicycle fit articles on the internet, and a lot of rule of thumbs.. I dont know if its ok to post links, but PM me if you want and ill send you the one I use.

Let's talk about your saddle for a moment.

You would think a big cushy seat is a great idea, but it's not.

Your butt is designed to actually rest on your sit bones. When you have a squishy saddle, it compresses your soft tissues rather than letting the sit bones do their work. This will get you sore quick.

There's a reason the men and women in the cycling world doing 100+ mile bike rides have small, narrow saddles. Of course, you probably don't want to get into hard seats and special cycling pants, do you? Cheap pants are $45. The last set I bought was $150. It is the best way to go though.

Anyway, if you just want a good saddle:

Find a Specialized dealer and have them fit a saddle to you. They will measure your sit bones (in a gel pad, don't worry, no creepy touching) and talk to you about how you ride (upright, bent over, etc) and suggest a seat. A decent one is $35-60. Anything more might be a waste for a casual rider.

Even with all that, it takes some time. Don't ride for more than 15 minutes at a time without taking a 5 minute walk break. You still have to build up to it.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i started cycling every day about a month ago - my butt hurt for the first week of riding, but now i'm totally used to it! i say just give it some time.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Padded Cycling shorts AND padded knickers... a good saddle seat for your gender. Correct set up of your bike. It's never going to be 100% comfortable but it should be more bearable... I cycle twice a day at the mo without padded shorts and it's not too bad 'cos the saddle seat is good!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What kind of bike are you riding? That will have an impact on saddle height.

IME, the best combination is a firmer seat (sounds contradictory, I know), padded shorts, and more time on the bike. Your body will get used to it pretty quickly, but if you're riding infrequently then it's just something you're going to have to deal with.
  • dnovak53
    dnovak53 Posts: 2
    Options
    Everyone is giving such good advice! As an avid biker, all I can add in way of encouragement is - it will get BETTER. You're only really sore at the start and after only a few days or week, the pain will be gone. And, for some reason, unless you're doing really really long rides, it never seems to be as bad again - unless you stop riding for a very long time. Riding is probably my favorite form of exercise - especially when i can find scenic rides that include all types of riding, including short challenges.

Keep it up .. and ENJOY!
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I use this kind of padded shorts:
    http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/362800085/cycling_shorts_Castelli_07.jpg
    I would recomend "Castelli", it's the best brand
    then I have similar underwear:
    http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/nalini-padded-underwear-for-cycling3.jpg
    and a saddle like this:
    http://www.decathlon.it/media/631/6315660/classic_asset_71673796.jpg
    and my butt doesn't hurt, even after 3 hours of cycling!

don't use saddles with gel, they are awful!!
  • ksmarathon2010
    Options
    When I got my trek I got the smallest seat, that is less contact, and padded bike shorts. I also use butt butter for long rides.
  • ShaunWV
    ShaunWV Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's all about time. You can spend the money on upgraded saddles and cycling shorts, but the best solution is to just ride. The pain will stop very quickly (perhaps a week of riding) and before you know it you will have forgotten all about it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When I got my trek I got the smallest seat, that is less contact, and padded bike shorts. I also use butt butter for long rides.

Butt butter is a good suggestion as well. A lot of the time what you are feeling is irritation from micro friction.

• chynafox
    chynafox Posts: 30
    Options
    If you're like me, you just have to get used to it. When I first started riding(for travel, sometimes 10miles at a time) I got deep bruises all on my inner thighs and butt. It stung! But, I stayed with it. The pain and bruises went away. You're doing something you're not used to.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    padded bike short, a proper seat (not covering), and proper seat height will change how you feel when you ride.

seat height is very important. you are not supposed to put your feet flat on the ground while sitting on the seat. you should barely be able to touch on your tip toes.
  • katfischer
    katfischer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can deal with the seat pain...but what about pressure on your hands? My wrists hurt like crazy after a challenging ride.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I can deal with the seat pain...but what about pressure on your hands? My wrists hurt like crazy after a challenging ride.

gloves and strength training. to strength your arms, try things like push ups and forearm curls.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Sounds like an improper bicycle fit. You need to put more weight on your bum and feet. This can be accomplished in a lot of different ways - like moving the handlebars and saddle closer together, or even tilting the saddle nose slightly upward.

If you are riding in an aggressive position (Body parallel to ground or close to it) try engaging your core more so that your core supports your upper body rather than the handlebars. Sticking out your chest and flattening your spine is the way.
  • Hackneyed
    Options
    Not sure what pain you are referring to but in my opinion (I've got 35 years+ on bikes with the occasional break) all people will suffer a little soreness when their behind isn't used to riding. If I would hold up for a month or two now, and then get back into the saddle, I'd be sore for 2-4 days i imagine.

The good news is that it does go away after that.

Generally padded shorts help a little bit but IMHO shouldn't be needed unless you cycle really hard or long (60 min+ at high intensity).

The wrists.. that's another story. Like others I'd suggest that you'd consult someone knowledgeable to check how the bike fits you. Having said that, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome) is quite common and even people who are fitted to their bikes (or vice versa) suffer - it's more likely due to individual physiology. I suffer on longer rides. Thinks like obesity could also be a factor.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem at first, as well as elbow pain. Turns out my death grip on the handlebars was unnecessary and the cause of my pain.

As for the OP, you've already got your best answers: saddle height, position, angle and padded shorts. And time in the saddle.
  • Heuer69
    Heuer69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    excellent ! thanks for the tip I don't think my seat is at the right height