Natural Supplements

Options
Anyone use any natural supplements to aid in weight loss? Not interested in any diet pills or anything like that, but it would be nice to have something to boost what I am doing through exercise and counting calories.

Replies

• yarnellc
    yarnellc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use ACE and it has been WONDERFUL in curving my appetite, taking cravings away, and best of all making me more alert and giving me more energy. It's all natural. I've only been using it 5 weeks but it has made making healthy eating and exercise choices so much easier!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My feelings on natural supplements:
    And try as hard as I like,
    A small crack appears
    In my diplomacy-dike.
    “By definition”, I begin
    “Alternative Medicine”, I continue
    “Has either not been proved to work,
    Or been proved not to work.
    You know what they call “alternative medicine”
    That’s been proved to work?
    Medicine.”

Stolen directly from Tim Minchin beat poem titled: Storm.

Please don't read the entire poem if you're easily offended :)

And I'm not posting it here because I'm trying offend. On the contrary: I don't like causing offense. That's never my goal. It's just that this comes to mind every single time someone wants something "natural".

I have very strong feelings about natural remedies. Some of them might work. They probably do. What irritates me though is that people assume "natural" is safe.

Natural is NOT safe. There's no guarantee that it is safe. There are no regulations on natural remedies. The FDA doesn't/can't control them. They don't have to be tested in double-blind, placebo controlled studies to prove that they are effective AND safe.

What blows my mind is that people ignorantly take things like raspberry ketones... not realizing that those "all natural" raspberry ketones have been extracted and concentrated from the plant by chemical processes. They are no longer "all natural" but concentrated natural substances administered in doses above and beyond what might be found in nature.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Caffeine

/thread
  • ahonea84
    ahonea84 Posts: 24
    Options
    LabRat529 thank you for your post. I am not ignorant and would research anything that was suggested. I mainly just wanted to steer clear of any "diet pill" suggestion.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    LabRat529 thank you for your post. I am not ignorant and would research anything that was suggested. I mainly just wanted to steer clear of any "diet pill" suggestion.

:)

I'm glad to hear that. As long as people are careful, I'm happy! If you can't tell... the alternative medicine/natural remedy thing is a bit of a pet peeve for me. Again, the problem isn't that I think they're all hooey (though some of them are), it's that so many people take supplements because their boyfriend's sister's bestfriend's uncle's dog says it's good for them and 'all natural' and they just don't take time to figure out what they are actually putting into their body.

My 'all natural supplement'? Herb tea. It doesn't do anything to speed up weight loss, but it's great for those times when I just want something tasty (I'm bored, I'm socializing, I'm emo-eating, whatever). It helps when I'm just sorta-but-not-really hungry. Peppermint is my favorite.
  • ahonea84
    ahonea84 Posts: 24
    Options
    I got ya!

I will have to look into the tea. I'm so obsessed with drinking water I forget about other things. lol
    I do like hot tea, so this is a great suggestion for the mornings.