Walking for Daily Commute: Is it Exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• vtaylo
    vtaylo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I live off campus but walk about 4 miles a day in my commuting to and from my classes which for me, averages out to be about 10,000 steps. I only log my walking as exercise when it's over those 10,000 steps. I choose the 3.0 mph option in the MFP log for those extra steps.Other wise, I will just log whatever my actual exercise for the day was.
  • cmccombs78
    cmccombs78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you want to count it and have an iPhone, not sure if it is in the android store or not, download an app called Pedometer GPS+ free. It measures your speed, distance and calories burned, based of your current weight. That or buy a fit bit but those will run you around $100.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    anything can be exercise so the question is does your body consider it exercise.if it's something that you've done everyday then odds are it isn't anything that your body would consider exercise.

personally i wouldnt count stuff like that, walking the dog, walking up and down 4 flights of steps to get to my apartment, running for the bus or train, etc as exercise as this is all stuff ive done on a daily basis for the several years