Sleeping....Or not I should say!

Options
I have had issues with insomnia for most of my life. It comes and goes. I can go months with no issues and then bam.....can't fall asleep for anything.

It's the falling asleep thing that I have issues with, once I'm asleep I'm good to go!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I am scared of prescription meds, I have heard too many stories, and seen too many patients go crazy on Ambien.

I have taken Melatonin, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

My kids are a nightmare to get to bed, but even when they do go down fairly easy, my body is like 'Yay me time!!"

Last night I was exhausted, I stayed on the computer till 1am, crawled in bed and lay there....waiting.....and waiting....

I finally turned on my kindle and listened to a show, then hubs came in and woke me up. He didn't mean to, but I had just dozed off. So there I was again....

I dozed off for the second time when the baby woke up. I got her settled back in bed, I climbed back in my bed and guess what....no sleep.....

I have no clue when I finially dozed off, but I do know it was 7:30 when the thunder hit and I heard cries of "momma....mooooommmmmmaaaaa"

I think everyone will get an early bedtime tonight and I will try my melatonin again! Unless anyone has any other solutions!!

Replies

• rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    Ugh--insomnia is the worst. I was just thinking the other day that chronic insomnia has got to be one of the toughest things to deal with. For me, exercise has been enormously helpful. If I run in the morning, I almost always get a great night of sleep that night.

Good luck!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Try herbal tea just before bed. Your body cools as it sleeps, so when the tea warms you and you begin to cool from drinking it it can trick your body into falling asleep. Pick a chamomile, or rose hip tea or one with other herbs that help you relax and sleep. Also, no computer, cell phone, tablet, etc... for an hour before bed. I have read several things stating that these electronic devices can interfere with sleep. I can't say if its true or not but worth a try. Try reading a book instead or just sitting and relaxing.

Good luck! :yawn:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Move to Tahiti. Leave the kids with your hubs. Sorry, that's all I've got. :frown:
  • mvaughnrn
    mvaughnrn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try herbal tea just before bed. Your body cools as it sleeps, so when the tea warms you and you begin to cool from drinking it it can trick your body into falling asleep. Pick a chamomile, or rose hip tea or one with other herbs that help you relax and sleep. Also, no computer, cell phone, tablet, etc... for an hour before bed. I have read several things stating that these electronic devices can interfere with sleep. I can't say if its true or not but worth a try. Try reading a book instead or just sitting and relaxing.

Good luck! :yawn:
    Great advice, and I used to have tea at night before bed. Luckily I have a huge selection of herbal teas! So tonight I will try that along with getting some reading in!!
  • mvaughnrn
    Options
    Move to Tahiti. Leave the kids with your hubs. Sorry, that's all I've got. :frown:
    If only..... ;)
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Google "progressive muscle relaxation" or "relaxation techniques". These have helped me!
  • mvaughnrn
    Options
    Google "progressive muscle relaxation" or "relaxation techniques". These have helped me!
    Sounds intriguing, I will Google!! Thanks!
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had issues sleeping last fall and started taking Melatonin. I was told by both my personal trainer and the lady at the Natural Foods store to make sure I gave it a few days to "work through my system". It did seem to work better starting on the third night...so if you aren't taking it regularly could that be a hinderance? How many milligrams are you taking? 1mg works fine for me, but I know some people have to take up to 3 mg. Also, you mentioned being on the computer before bed. I know, for me, looking at a computer screen, phone, or TV before bedtime usually makes it harder to go to sleep. I've started reading for 20 minutes or so when I get into bed, and this has helped :). Good luck!
  • JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options
    Don't be on the computer prior to going to bed. Artificial blue light makes your body think it's supposed to be awake. If you have trouble falling asleep it could be from that. Try not being on the computer or watching tv for the hour-2 hours before bed. Read your kindle (it doesn't emit a blue light) and it may help. Also, cut off all caffeine as early in the day as you can, and if you can, shower within an hour of going to bed, the rise and fall of your body temp will induce sleep.
  • mvaughnrn
    Options
    Thanks everyone! So much great advice! A lot of it I knew, just needed to be reminded. I am going to try a couple of different things this week and see what works for me!! Of course I know I only have so much control with small kids!! I Hope everyone has a great weekend!