Pear-Shape Women (WomensHealthMag!!)

Options
hi, so ccording to womens health magazine and livestrong.com, i had to do some research for "pear shaped" workouts or diets.. as far as what I should be watching with my macros besides the obvious (junk food/simplex carbs/sugars) ...

most of the sites have said, pear-shaped women(who carry most weight on their lower body, hips..thighs..etc) should be eating a LOW fat diet? has any pear shaped women seen success with weight loss towards this?? would love some feed back, i am trying to lose 10 lbs of fat and MFP has me set on 1,200 cals.. would love to know what your macros are as well. THANKS

Replies

• ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Based on some blood tests and a family history of diabetes, my doctor recommended a lower (not necessarily low) carb diet. I have a balanced macronutrient ratio (35% protein/ 35% carbs / 30% fat), which seems to work pretty well for me and drastically reduced my triglyceride levels. I am definitely pear shaped, and carry extra weight primarily on my butt and thighs. I've lost about 10" off my hips since I started my weight loss.

Good luck finding what works for you!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I don't beleive there is any validity whatsoever to eating a low fat diet. Fat is necissary. Because you are "pear shaped" or whatever your body shape might be just means you gain and or lose weight in a certain area. Nothing more. You don't need to eat a "low fat diet" because you are pear shaped. That is ridiculous.

Eat at a caloric deficit- eat only twinkies and chocolate cake if you want- at a caloric deficit and you will lose weight. Period.

I suggest you eat a balanced diet, at a caloric deficit. You will lose weight.

>_<
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped. I eat moderate fat, moderate carbs and moderate protien. I find that putting more focus on micronutrients keeps my macros in good shape. I don't worry about getting X amount of any macro on a daily basis. I lost the 20 lbs I was trying to lose and then some and have kept it off for almost a year now with this method.
  • mrodriguez9t
    Options
    what the....twinkies!!!! having too many simple carbs at one time in your body will make all that excess glucose (from the breakdown of the carbs) to store as fat (too much glucose available at once, you don't need to produce all the ATP (cellular energy) that all that glucose can make so the body uses isulin to store it as fat) OMG caloric deficit aaaand avoiding simple carbs will help you lose weight (3500 calories = 1 pound of fat, this is why the deficit is there). Fat is necessary, but a diet high in carbs aaaand high in fats will increase fat stores. Go checkout bodybuilding.com.