Obsessed with the Scale

Options
Is anyone out there just obsessed with the scale? My husband has picked my scale up and will not tell me where it is. I have been working out with a trainer for the past three weeks and I love it. That is until I get on a scale and I haven't lost anything and some days I gain a pound. I get so upset. The other night I went to bed so upset about it. I will get on the scale everytime I go to the bathroom. My husband (he is so sweet) was comforting me telling me how I am now working out and building muscles and that I need to stop getting on the scale because I can be losing inches. Finally through all of my sobs I told him to just pick the scale up. I didn't mean for him to hide it in the middle of the night. I wake up the next morning and sure enough I was going to get on the scale and it was gone. So I ask him about it and he tells me that he got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and decided he would pick it up. He is now offshore and I don't know where my scale is. He said I can weight when he comes in which is August 3.

My trainer thinks it is hilarious that he did this to me. she agrees with him that I should concentrate on the muscles I am gaining and inches I am losing.

Just thought I would share this with yall and for anyone that is obsessed with the scale YOU'RE NOT ALONE

Replies

• tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I too, get on the scale every time I walk into the bathroom. What is up with that?? I am waiting for 10 pounds to just magically fall off from 6 am to 7am lol :laugh:

Your husband sounds super sweet......
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale all the time too. I can't help it.:ohwell:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I too, get on the scale every time I walk into the bathroom. What is up with that?? I am waiting for 10 pounds to just magically fall off from 6 am to 7am lol :laugh:

Your husband sounds super sweet......

He is!!! When he is home he makes sure that for dinner and my luch to bring to work, is healthy.
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost everyday. I find that it helps keep me on track throughout the week. I know that I'm not going to lose 10 pounds in one day...but if I start out my week not doing so great and step on the scale on Wednesday and see I've gained a pound, I'm more likely to get my butt in gear for the rest of the week.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    That tickled my funny bone. He sounds so cute. This can give you something to work at & look forward to this next Monday.:smooched:

I get on the scale every morning before I do anything. My scale is a WW digital so every time I weigh myself is reads a different number. It's so frustrating. So I try to pick the average of lets say 10 readings. today I liked what it said....finally.:tongue:
  • teepee917
    teepee917 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm torn on this subject. I used to weigh myself daily and depending on what the number said, would determine my mood. Then I stopped weighing for a while and now I'm up several pounds. So I guess it's back to daily weigh ins. No matter what I decide, I still end up feeling bad... What a way to live...
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    Wow your husband sounds like mine! I too am obsessed with the scale. My hubby hide it from me and it made me realize that I stay more postive towards myself if I don't obsess and weigh myself all the time. When I did get on the scale I was amazed. Then I did my measured my inches and was even more amazed at how well I do. I think for me it's to stay on track but I've learn to not do it so often in one day. Just keep pluging away! You'll do great!
  • Dietprincess
    Options
    :laugh: OHMYGOSH!! I didn't think there was anybody else out there more obsessed than me!! I try to be realistic about weighing in every morning, but I'm out of control - - and so disappointed when the scale and the fat fairy reveal the honest truth!! UGHHHHH! I'm trying to be better!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering weigh-o-holic. I would weigh myself several times a day and last weigh in day (last Wednesday) I decided I wasn't going to weigh again until this Wednesday. It has been hard and I still think of getting the scale out, but I resist. I'm hoping with time I don't think about my weight all the dang time. Yet, this realization has to come from you and you alone...others told me not to weigh everyday, but it had to come from me being so frustrated all the time that I wasn't losing a pound a day :p

Good luck in your struggles...you will be better for it! :)
  • 135gratitude
    135gratitude Posts: 364
    Options
    I LOVE this!!!

I too became obsessed. I am now at week 5, and have been without a scale since my third week's weigh in.

Hubby hid it.

I'm 5 weeks in, and my measurements are dropping, and my clothes are fitting better.

I use the Victoria's Secret size chart to chart my measurements, and I have lost more than a full dress size in 5 weeks. THAT's my motivation! Forget the scale - she and I just don't get along.
    :tongue:

Good luck, and free yourself from the scale. I'm getting mine back for a 12 week weigh in on September 1st.
    :flowerforyou:
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If I could (which some days I can) I would weigh myself 10 times a day! I know it will not change that much. I will still weigh myself first thing in the morning, then once I get to work, then after lunch (gotta see how much I gained at lunch :laugh: ) then once I get home and again before bed. I did this while pregnant too, figured I wouldn't gain as much, but I ended up gaining 50 lbs!!!!
  • April0815
    Options
    I know I have lost inches. My clothes are fitting alot looser. My husband keeps trying to explain to me how I have to get out of the mindset of the number on the scale and concentrate on the muscle gain and fat loss, but to me if it doesn't show on the scale how can I lose anywhere. IT"S SO CONFUSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We sound like a bunch of grounded children when we say "We are getting our scales back on a certain date to weigh" HAHA
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I get on the scale every day.

I count my weigh in day once a week.

I use my daily numbers to compare to what I ate the day before, or even the past 2 days. I love seeing how eating different things, like lean beef versus chicken versus fish, causes your body to do different things. I dont really care about the number, it's just really amazing to see how our bodies react differently to everything we do to it.

There is nothing wrong with getting on the scale everyday. (I know someone doesn't agree with that, :laugh: If you have the right frame of mind and not beating yourself up about normal ups and downs, it's really kind of neat to see what happens to your body every day.
  • April0815
    Options
    It isn't just everday, that would be okay. Everytime I walk into the bathroom I get on it. So by the time I go to bed at night I am frantic.

The funny thing is I can still weigh at the gym everyday but I don't. So what is up with that? Maybe it's just the convenience at home.
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm in your club ..I weigh in every morning, I know it should be weekly and if anyone hid MY scale heaven help them...I am trying to maintain my weight now and am getting pretty obsessive, I am weighing more often now than when I was losing :laugh: I worry when it fluctuates upwards and breathe a sigh of relief when it goes down. I KNOW it is water weight but that still doesn't matter :laugh:
    My weight varies by anything upto around three pounds usually ...

Yesterday I (unintentionally!!) went on a bender,skipped a meal and the scale read three pounds lighter today ....dehydration due to the alcohol I suspect .....I can't remember the last time I got so plastered ... years and years ago ..don't like the recovering!!:laugh: :blushing: Too much in too short a space of time ...never ever ever again especially when you have to get up and go to work.:grumble:

So, I bet my scale will be up a couple of pounds again tomorrow

I keep tabs of my measurements and they don't change so .........
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    I couldn't resist the scale at the gym so I was weighing in every day. Then I bought a fancy digital scale. I have a tiny bathroom so it lives in my bedroom. First weigh in I'd lost 60 lbs--scales don't like carpet. So to weigh in I have to take the scale to the bathroom. This has helped me avoid daily weigh ins :p)
  • April0815
    Options
    When I told my husband to just pick the scale up, I meant put it in the cabinet because I would less likely go into the cabinet everytime I go in the bathroom. I didn't mean for him to hide it and not tell me. And to top it off my 9yr old son is in on it. He tells me after my husband leaves to go offshore, " I can't tell you where the scale is." Now he is out of town visiting his grandparents and I am home alone scaleless.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself about 2-3 times throughout the day. I don't know why I do it lol
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale AT LEAST one time a day. My husband put it up in the closet, but I just go and get it down, weigh, and then put it back.
    If I'm home during the day, any time I go upstairs to the bathroom I weigh. I only count my weight on one day a week but weighing every day makes me realize when I need to work harder. I think whatever works best for you, do it. I don't let it get me down, especially when I KNOW I haven't eaten healthy or haven't worked as hard as I should have or have gone over my cals. I know if I see a bigger number I have to work harder. If I see a smaller number I know I am doing what I'm supposed to. It's all about accountability for me.

Memaw
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    i too was a scale obsessed person! at least every morning, and those numbers would depend on my mood..Now, i can say that I havent weight myself in 3 weeks..i just got tired of feeling like the scale could rule my life..so this coming week i will weigh myself again. I honestly think that once a month is great, and healthy..you can keep track by your clothes and measurements..and then see the numbers change within a month!! good luck to all!