what do you concentrate on?

Options
I just started a few days back and am wondering if it is more important to concentrate on calories or the fat/protein/carbs in your daily intake of food?

Replies

• nora110
    nora110 Posts: 24
    Options
    I am focused on three things- 1) getting in at least 30 minutes of exercise daily (this could be a gentle walk, or an intense workout)- just gotta move. 2) Eating net 1200 calories and 3) being sure that I dont exceed 55% carbs (that seems to be a threshold for me).
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    When I started, I only concentrated on calories in and out. Then I noticed all the other nifty things I could track and did some research to see what the appropriate amounts of fat, protein and sodium were. Now I'm most concerned about keeping the calories where I want them, keeping my sodium intake low, and am working on eating less fat as I go along. You can also go into your goals and add more things you want to track. I added sodium to my daily summary.
  • Jenny1061
    Jenny1061 Posts: 29
    Options
    for now, i'm only focusing on trying to stay within the 1200 cal range and making sure i get at least 30 mins or more of cardio Mon-Fri.
  • Tracey0013
    Tracey0013 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Balice57 I have added sodium to mine as well. I think I eat to much salt.

Thanks for the input so far everyone :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Focus on calories first. If you try to eat within your calories and perfectly hit your macro targets from the get-go, you will drive yourself nuts. It is a lot to take in at once. Once you get into a groove you can focus your effort more on the macros.
  • chasingpavements24
    chasingpavements24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ^^ I agree. For the first few weeks/months, just focus on calories. That's probably going to be a big enough change itself. After that, especially if you notice a plateau/slow loss, make sure that you are eating 5 veggies/fruits a day and that you are not going too much over in carbs, sodium, or sugar - those are what seem to most contribute to weight loss issues.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I focus on the protien, fat, carbs, fiber, and salt in my diet. A lot of time I don't log my calories burned cause to me it is not important the number of calories I can eat just what I'm eating.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    It is definitely more important to focus on cals for weight loss. Focus sing on the Macros carbs%, protein%, fat% will help you tailor your results. For instance if you want to maintain muscle mass increase protein% and weight training and decrease fat and carbs (this is for people who are closer to their goals and helps with maintenance after weight loss). If you want to just drop weight then increase carb% and decrease protein and fat (this is for people who are very far from their goals like well over 70lbs heavier than their goal and a some of the weight loss will be muscle mass. Honestly if you are that large I wouldn't worry about it much as I have been there myself).