Protein Question

Options
My goal for daily protein is only 52 g. I am new to mfp so does this mean that I should consume no more than 52 g of protein a day????? This is almost impossible! Just one boneless, skinless chicken breast puts me close to that.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Protein and Fat are "minimum" goals. A little more is fine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    With that said, you don't need meat at every meal.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i shoot for at least 100g of protein a day. MFPs defaults are low
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have my protein set at 40% (for me that's 120g)
    carbs and fat both at 30% (90g, 40g)
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is a good macro breakdown! Nice!
  • msjessae
    msjessae Posts: 28
    Options
    It depends on your weight, height, goal & gender. Let me know if I could be of help to get the suggested protein intake :)
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I went in and set my goals differently.

I have protein 35%
    Carbs 35%
    fat 30%

So, I try to hit around 150 grams of protein and 120 grams of carbs. I think MFP has the carbs set too high and the protein set too low.
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I always try to consume the more protein I can and the less carbs and fat possible. It has been working fine for me. Just keep in mind It is important to consume at least a little carbs otherwise it is not possible to have energy to workout.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    With that said, you don't need meat at every meal.

Really? I'd love to know the fact behind this statement.

The macros set by MFP are estimates. The real goal you want to achieve is your calorie intake. There is already a loss/gain of calories estimated in so that your achieve your goals. All things said, tweak your macros and find what works best for you. Every body is different
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    thats what i have mine set as too, but i dont always hit my goals
  • hurla56
    hurla56 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you so much this really helps.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I have protein 35%
    Carbs 35%
    fat 30%

So, I try to hit around 150 grams of protein and 120 grams of carbs. I think MFP has the carbs set too high and the protein set too low.

I think that 35/35/30 is about perfect. I have to get between 230-330 a day because of my size. Getting an equal number of calories from protein and carbs is the best bet. Unfortunately lots of people buy into trends or read a 2 paragraph yahoo news article and suddenly they think carbs are the devil, without realizing the the difference between basic/complex carbs, etc. Most of my carbs come from veggies.
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I have protein 35%
    Carbs 35%
    fat 30%

I think that 35/35/30 is about perfect. I have to get between 230-330 a day because of my size. Getting an equal number of calories from protein and carbs is the best bet. Unfortunately lots of people buy into trends or read a 2 paragraph yahoo news article and suddenly they think carbs are the devil, without realizing the the difference between basic/complex carbs, etc. Most of my carbs come from veggies.

My carbs come from veggies and fruit. If I'm going to eat something that is an actual "carb" like bread or pasta, I either eat it in the morning, or have half a serving. I've taken to eating whole wheat pasta as a side, instead of a large bowl. Which hurts, because I'm Italian and I love it.

I have mine set to 40/30/30, but I've been getting closer to the 35/35/30 model.

I also agree that the MFP goals are too low for protein. Since I'm lifting, more protein is helping my muscle soreness! Oh, and it keeps you full longer.