wheat belly- thoughts?

Options
I am thinking about reading Wheat Belly and was interested in whether anyone else had. Has anyone removed most wheat from their diet and felt better or had ailments fade? Thanks!

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I did remove wheat from my diet, but it didn't make me feel any different.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Hmm...loose any weight when you tried?
  • KitchenCourses
    Options
    I don't know anything about the diet, but recently have been experiencing a lot of stomach pain after I eat, almost like my stomach feels like it's being squeezed. I normally eat products with wheat at least once a day and as a baseline almost always feel bloated. Last week, I saw my doctor and he has me removing wheat from my diet for 2 weeks - I'm one week in and feel incredibly different. I don't know about any weight loss, but I feel a lot lighter, leaner, and have a TON more energy than before. Regardless of if I have a sensitivity to it, I think the results will at least have me eating less wheat than I was before.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I read it. Really answered several questions as to the whys of the increase of celiac disease to me among other things. My kids both have celiac disease so it was worth reading for me. As a book it was boring and the author a little over the top. But worth it dor knowledge purposes.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Hmm...loose any weight when you tried?

No differently than when I was eating wheat products.
  • tproctor
    tproctor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am reading it now. I have done Atkins in the past and, in many ways, this seems very similar. Lots of meat, eggs, cheese and very little carbs. One interesting fact I learned is that whole wheat bread has a glycemic index of 71 while SUGAR is 58!!! The premise of the book is that wheat is not what it used to be. It has been genetically modified over the years in order to increase crop yields. So, today's "whole wheat" is not the same thing as "whole wheat" was 50 years ago. I have been on the diet for two days now, and it is very much like Adkins. We shall see!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about reading Wheat Belly and was interested in whether anyone else had. Has anyone removed most wheat from their diet and felt better or had ailments fade? Thanks!

I am reading wheat belly and Yes, I have had dramatic changes in my life. I have more energy, no more achy joints and bloatedness. IBS gone and no more retaining water in my muscles and such. I also sleep much better.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I am reading it now. I have done Atkins in the past and, in many ways, this seems very similar. Lots of meat, eggs, cheese and very little carbs. One interesting fact I learned is that whole wheat bread has a glycemic index of 71 while SUGAR is 58!!! The premise of the book is that wheat is not what it used to be. It has been genetically modified over the years in order to increase crop yields. So, today's "whole wheat" is not the same thing as "whole wheat" was 50 years ago. I have been on the diet for two days now, and it is very much like Adkins. We shall see!

Well, with Atkins you end up adding back in those wheat products as you move up the carb ladder. With wheat belly, and most of the Paleo / Primal plans you are taking wheat out forever................
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I read it. Really answered several questions as to the whys of the increase of celiac disease to me among other things. My kids both have celiac disease so it was worth reading for me. As a book it was boring and the author a little over the top. But worth it dor knowledge purposes.

The author is a Dr and I don't find being very thorough being over the top. He did his own experiments as many people have and based on his research this is what he found.
  • hackett1171
    Options

I am also reading it and have taken wheat out of my diet per my NP. I do have more energy and sleep much better, more soundly. It is very interesting to see how wheat has changed and evolved due to man and how it effects your body. It can be a little tedious to read but Im powering through it.....
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I do better without wheat - I think it depends on your body, though. It is my personal opinion (and no, I don't have research to back it up, but many testimonials seem to add weight to this opinion) that many people have some form of wheat/gluten intolerance (on a much lesser level than celiac disease) and don't even realize it until they cut out wheat and then they feel better when they remove it from their diet. But many people do just fine with eating wheat daily. Try it and see how you feel.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Most of the evidence seems to be anectotal. There really hasn't been a lot of research done other than what Dr. Davis has done and seen. It's pretty convincing though. I removed wheat from my diet. I do feel less bloated and overall healthier without it in my diet. I have also removed other grains from my diet as well. My diet is kind of a cross breed of paleo/primal/atkins.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    One interesting fact I learned is that whole wheat bread has a glycemic index of 71 while SUGAR is 58!!!

And chocolate cake has a GI of 38! GI is often used completely out of context and, unless you're diabetic, is of nominal interest.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    One interesting fact I learned is that whole wheat bread has a glycemic index of 71 while SUGAR is 58!!!

And chocolate cake has a GI of 38! GI is often used completely out of context and, unless you're diabetic, is of nominal interest.
    Yeah, it's a pretty useless number. Especially when you take into account that once you put butter, peanut butter, tuna, turkey, eggs, or anything else on that piece of whole wheat bread the GI becomes absolutely meaningless. GI only works in a food vacuum, and last I checked, nobody eats all of one specific food, then waits for it to completely digest before eating a different specific food, then wait for it to digest....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's a pretty useless number. Especially when you take into account that once you put butter, peanut butter, tuna, turkey, eggs, or anything else on that piece of whole wheat bread the GI becomes absolutely meaningless. GI only works in a food vacuum, and last I checked, nobody eats all of one specific food, then waits for it to completely digest before eating a different specific food, then wait for it to digest....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/532251-let-s-talk-about-the-gi-index?hl=Lets+talk+about...+Glycemic+Index#posts-7446957