Hot Dog at the Ball Park

Options
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how I should estimate a meal at the ball park. Tonight, I am going to a baseball game! I am really excited! :)
But, were having dinner there....well at least I assume since we're going to be there from 5- 10 and I cannot eat before we go.
I have tried to find the closest thing to a hot dog on here by typing it in, but they range from 200-600 calories. I have no idea if they are pork or beef at this ball park, how long, they are (or OZ), etc. I am really frustrated because I don't want to go over my calories. I have about 500 left for the whole night.
Should I just get a regular hot dog, with no fatty toppings and estimate it in the fitness pal, or should I skip it all together and wait till like 10 to eat :( (which is prob so bad to do ).

Any suggestions?!? I appreciate it!! :) thank so much!!

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    We are now finished with Baseball but the whole time we were at the park I am proud to say I didn't eat any of the food. I would wait until I got home and eat a turkey wrap. Hope this helps.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    trying going to the ball parks website and if they list their cossession info you should beable to calculate from there. Or grab something and bring it with you to be safe!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    eat the Hot Dog, but I would say its on the high end of the calorie scale....:ohwell:

im sure you'll be doing some extra walking so make sure before you eat it to walk back and forth to your seat a few times!:bigsmile: burn some extra calories!

Have fun! I love going to games!:bigsmile:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    one hot dog isnt going to kill you. is this a major leauge park? i know the ballpark in arlington (tx) serves hebrew national, which are healthier ingredients wise. and pretty yummy too! i would suggest you adjust your calories during the day accordingly and dont be afraid to ask what you are eating before you order it. who knows, you might find the correct cal count after knowing a little bit more.

good luck! :drinker:
  • Kamille84
    Kamille84 Posts: 32
    Options
    I found this website that has the nutritional facts for items you can get at the ballpark.
    http://www.fitsugar.com/3280402
    I don't know if all ballparks carry the same type/size of foods, but I'm pretty sure it can't be too far off.
    I usually sneak some healthy snacks into my purse that will hold me over till I can eat a full meal.
    Hope this helps!
  • MrBinkerton
    MrBinkerton Posts: 109
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

Maybe I will have to hotdog, and put it into the fitness pal as the higher one....just to be sure. Meaning I will put it in under like 500 calories, instead of 300...to be sure. Its not even so much about the calories being high, it more the fat content and its just not a lot of food for that many cals. It is not going to fill me up I'm sure about that.

Thanks again for all the help!! :)
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    Oh wow! Great! Thanks Kamille!
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Remember too that mustard, onions, and such don't add a lot of calories - if you could eat the dog smothered like that without a bun you would save on calories.
  • tigersgirl
    tigersgirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You could check with the ballpark... i go to a lot of the Tigers games and they allow you to take a soft side cooler inside, so we pack our food and bottled water
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Remember too that mustard, onions, and such don't add a lot of calories - if you could eat the dog smothered like that without a bun you would save on calories.

oinions are generally fried and loaded with fats...
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    As a frequent ballpark visitor I read this thread with great interest, thanks for all the posts everyone! I tried going to that website, and it's "off-limits" (oops), so am posting to save and check it out later.

Thanks again!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

Have you ever tried to put all that on a hot dog without a bun??? Just curious. Can't imagine it would stay on there all that well.

Dog - about 250ish, bun, about 150ish. So you're probably at about 400 or so calories and a crap load of sodium even before topping it off with anything.
  • almond13
    almond13 Posts: 77
    Options
    this is great! i was just trying to plan my meals for the week and then it hit me that wednesday night i am going to the game ... and as it is my b-day i plan to eat a hotdog :flowerforyou: but i wanted to plan a light day so that i don't go over toooo much! :laugh: :bigsmile: Thanks!!!!!
  • almond13
    almond13 Posts: 77
    Options
    You could check with the ballpark... i go to a lot of the Tigers games and they allow you to take a soft side cooler inside, so we pack our food and bottled water

lucky you!!! they are wicked strict about bringing things in around here :grumble: :bigsmile:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how I should estimate a meal at the ball park. Tonight, I am going to a baseball game! I am really excited! :)
    But, were having dinner there....well at least I assume since we're going to be there from 5- 10 and I cannot eat before we go.
    I have tried to find the closest thing to a hot dog on here by typing it in, but they range from 200-600 calories. I have no idea if they are pork or beef at this ball park, how long, they are (or OZ), etc. I am really frustrated because I don't want to go over my calories. I have about 500 left for the whole night.
    Should I just get a regular hot dog, with no fatty toppings and estimate it in the fitness pal, or should I skip it all together and wait till like 10 to eat :( (which is prob so bad to do ).

Any suggestions?!? I appreciate it!! :) thank so much!!

Enjoy the game and hot dog! Maybe between innings you can do some power walking or instead of using the escalator or elevator walk to your section? Also, you might consider parking further away and walking to the park. This works well at PNC Park (now only if our baseball team was something to see) :wink:
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for the wonderful advice.

I am going to most likely have the hotdog as I will be hungry and everyone else will most likely get one. I won't have time to even pack anything healthy cause I'm going straight from work.

I am going with six other people. If I don't get one everyone will turn thier attention to me and ask "why are you not getting one", "what....no dome dog", etc etc etc.

So I will just have the hot dog, I do have 500 cals....and just balance it out by eating better tomo. Like I said, it is not so much to calories I am THAT concerned about. It is the lack of nutrition and lack of food for that many cals, ya know?! Sodium and Fat....so bad...but somehow still yummy :) haha

Thanks again all!
  • alligator1970
    Options
    Sorry have to put this out there. This ran in our paper recently. But it is easy for me I absolutely HATE hot dogs

Cancer Project Cites Report Saying Processed Meat Increases Cancer Risk

-- Hot dogs may be as American as baseball and apple pie, but a national cancer-awareness group says they're hazardous to your health and should carry warning labels.

The Washington, D.C.-based Cancer Project wants to force hot dog makers to use warning labels. The group filed a lawsuit Wednesday in Superior Court in Newark on behalf of three New Jersey residents. The defendants are Kraft Foods, manufacturer of the Oscar Mayer brand; Sara Lee; Nathan's Famous; and the makers of the Hebrew National and Sabrett brands.

The lawsuit cites a report by the American Institute for Cancer Research that concluded regular consumption of processed meat can increase the risk of colorectal and other forms of cancer.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Do you know what they put in those things? Ever since I saw a show about it decades ago...I can't eat one.

Nasty nasty... it even had pig eylash in there.:noway: Yuck
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Do you know what they put in those things? Ever since I saw a show about it decades ago...I can't eat one.

I'm so glad I don't like hot dogs.

Does your park have things like a grilled chicken sandwich? Do you like hot dogs alot? Is it worth it to you? If so go for it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Eww. I wouldn't eat anything with "mechanically separated" meat...just too nasty.