Going over protein intake

Options
what happens if i go over my protein intake?its not something i do daily but it looks like i may be over today once i eat dinner.

Replies

• FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you are eating enough protein in the first place. Looked at your food diary....45g of protein a day....I aim for 136 a day. You are supposed to eat 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass that you have. I have 136 pounds of lean body mass, so I try to eat 136 grams of protein a day. Fat2fitradio.com has some calculators on there that you can use to figure out your lean body mass. You don't have to eat what MFP suggests, I recommend doing some reading and adjusting your macros in your diary.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Unless your particular body has a problem processing protein (most people's body's don't), nothing bad. It will either get used as energy or not depending on your daily expenditure and total calories consumed.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    Options
    But in short, nothing is wrong with going over in protein unless for some reason your body can't handle it.
  • continentaldivide
    continentaldivide Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am trying to follow all the recommendations: low fat, good carbs, lean protein. In the month I've beeon on MFP, I have never been able to eat 45 protein a day, but I have lost 2.5 pounds this month. I'd like it to be faster but I feel like I'm eating healthy, exercising and even have room for an occasional treat.
  • Mesh8983
    Mesh8983 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am always, always over my protien! I did some research that seemed to say MFP was very low in their estimate of what my protien should be, but, then, most numbers out there are based on a 2000 cal diet, not my 1200 cal one. I think that one of the main reasons MFP puts the amounts where it does is so that you have balance - no one nutrient overwhelms any other. But, I agree with other post-ers, I could not find any bad side effects of too much protien, especially if you're within calories and working out!
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you are eating enough protein in the first place. Looked at your food diary....45g of protein a day....I aim for 136 a day. You are supposed to eat 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass that you have. I have 136 pounds of lean body mass, so I try to eat 136 grams of protein a day. Fat2fitradio.com has some calculators on there that you can use to figure out your lean body mass. You don't have to eat what MFP suggests, I recommend doing some reading and adjusting your macros in your diary.

Actually Joy Bauer (sp?), the Registered Dietician on the Today Show said that women should have .5 gram of protein per pound, so a 150 lb. woman should aim for 75 grams of Protein per day. I have noticed that my protein target on MFP is much lower than this guidline, so I actually shoot for going over.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Actually Joy Bauer (sp?), the Registered Dietician on the Today Show said that women should have .5 gram of protein per pound, so a 150 lb. woman should aim for 75 grams of Protein per day. I have noticed that my protein target on MFP is much lower than this guidline, so I actually shoot for going over.

Based on your example (the 150lb woman) you two are talking about two different things. One of you is talking about LBM and the other is talking about total weight. it doesn't surprise me that the ratios would end up being a little different.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    Options
    Either way, it's higher than 45 g of protein a day. :)
  • sarge634
    sarge634 Posts: 42
    Options
    ok thank you all im not going to stress about as much then
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    try changing your percentages on your home page in 'goals' - 'custom'. Try 40/30/30 - I have mine at 30/35/35 - stops me getting the red numbers at the bottom lol - calories are the same.
  • sarge634
    sarge634 Posts: 42
    Options
    yeah i just did that now im in the red for carbs