New to this

Options
Just want some help pls and advice. I can't fulfill my calorie quota and don't know what to do ??? I physically cannot eat 1200 cal a day !!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Work up to it.
  • Ajinx1
    Ajinx1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain weight or lose weight? You can't cut back to 1200 calories or can't eat enough to make 1200 caloires? What's your height & weight?
  • byebye_mini_keg
    Options
    Help me!! I don't even know where to start, I have so much on the go already between working, managing a family and household I don't even know how to find the time to exercise. I usually ride my bike a bit in the summer time and hibernate in the winter, I have however starting myfitnesscoach 2 on wii to help with meal plans and exercise routines, and bought just dance 3 and have been doing that a little every night but after 1 or 2 songs i am so out of breath I feel like I"m going to pass out...talk about being out of shape ughh!! I also try to get on my eliptical as much as I can but the whole lack of time is a huge issue. Where do I start?!:yawn:
  • kellygray78
    Options
    I can't make my cals upto 1200 a day, am avg about 600 a day. I'm 5ft 2 and weigh 10st 3 !! So need to lose weight.
  • Django1977
    Options
    Hey Kelly,

you need to do the calculation of your bmr (basal metabolic rate) - just google it. And then you need to eat that minimum amount of kcal, because it is dangerous to drop under that because it triggers your starvation mode and you will never ever be able to loose weight. It sound weird but you need to eat more that you can loose weight... In the starvation mode you burn alot less calories if you would be eat more. Your body is smart and keeps you alive with burning fewer calories because your body has no more intake (see the past of the human kind where people eat a few days nothing until they hunted down animals etc etc.)

So you really need to get your intake at least a bit above your basalrate. Don´t be scared .. Do your homework... google nutrition and find out what suits you best. YOU REALLY NEED TO EAT YOUR CALORIES ABOVE YOUR BMR !!

Cheers... Feel free to email me for further questions or add me...

Django

PS. Feel free to check this free site too. -> http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    I get your data in there and it says your bmr is about 1410 calories and your TDEE (means the total amount of calories you need to hold your weight) is about 1692 kcal per day. Just recheck that please... You are STARVING yourself... Split your meals in 4 - 5 equal portions over the day and you may get your 1410 calories.... Please don´t starve yourself.
  • illigirl
    illigirl Posts: 5
    Options
    One thing that I have done in the past was prepare foods on a Sunday. I would chop fresh veggies and put them in snack bags. I would also make hard boiled eggs for the week, and also make a homemade (store bought ingredients) trail mix of raw almonds, raisins, unsweetened coconut, dried fruit. I would put all of this is snack bags that would last me the whole week. Then for breakfast it is usually a protein smoothie with almond milk and frozen fruit, lunch is usually a salad of spinach, romaine, veggies, and a protein, and a small organge or apple, and then dinner usually is salmon, grilled chicken, or a good quality beef with a salad, brown rice, and veggies on the side. It takes work to do this, but in the end it's so worth it. To make it easy, I just think protein and veggies at lunch and dinner. And remember to have a snack twice a day. I'm so bad at snacking, but I see the value in it. So, I hope this gives you some ideas.
  • kellygray78
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice and help. I came out with the same cal amount too.
    Am just worried that I will gain weight if eat that amount of cals. I know not eating enough is bad for me I just can't get my head round it !! Will really try to take your advice and eat more. Thank you.
  • kkrobins
    kkrobins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just want some help pls and advice. I can't fulfill my calorie quota and don't know what to do ??? I physically cannot eat 1200 cal a day !!

YOU CAN DO!!!! It's been a challenge, but I'm getting it done.
  • kvsmith59
    kvsmith59 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There are meal replacement shakes out there that you could maybe add in addition to whatever you are eating right now. The shakes usually average 200 to 250 calories each, so there is 500 calories that you can add on top of what you are eating now. Most of the shakes (contrary to what they say) don't really fill you up that much so you should still be hungry enough to drink them and still eat what you are eating now. Plus most of them are packed with nutrients. I'm doing shakes for breakfast right now because I normally skip that meal. I'm diabetic and it's actually helped lower my blood sugar.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods
    Get high protein and good fats
    You will get it done easy
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I agree with lean meat (mostly chicken, turkey, fish) and veggies - I have discovered microwave steam-seal bags and it only takes 1 and a half minutes to cook my veggies in the bag and they taste great!

Protein powder in your cereal (try about a quarter of a scoop first building up to 1 scoop) brings up the calories plus make sure cereal is wholegrain and only around 4-7g sugar per serve

Low or no fat yoghurt (watch the sugar content), nuts, seeds, avocado are all good ways to increase calories. Fruit in moderation is great but don't go overboard as they do contain quite a lot of sugar - fruit drinks and juices with added sugar only add empty calories.

Reduce your intake of soda and other fizzy drinks - they are basically sugar and sodium!

Be very careful of processed and cured foods such as bacon, ham, sausages, salami, pastrami etc as they have high levels of sodium (salt) which can cause fluid retention and high blood pressure and only eat small amounts if any.

Bread should be wholegrain, try and reduce white bread intake as it does not have much nutritional value
  • Django1977
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice and help. I came out with the same cal amount too.
    Am just worried that I will gain weight if eat that amount of cals. I know not eating enough is bad for me I just can't get my head round it !! Will really try to take your advice and eat more. Thank you.

Hey there Kelly

me again.. hehe..

Lets see it from a different angle... Your body is in starvation mode. That means... every calory you eat will go into the housekeeping stuff and / or in fat storage. Your metabolism will slow down or surely is slow because your body will survive... When you eat now more calories it will be weight gain until your metabolism will speed up. You can speed up your metabolism by 1) eating more 2) train more.

So don´t be afraid when you eat more that you will gain a bit until your metabolism will speed up. Your body is under constant pressure to keep you alive when you starve like that. You understand? How will you loose weight when your body is reacting that you eat so less that it is afraid to die? The metabolism will slow everything down and you need less energy. You feeling deprived, energy less, dizzy, depressed? For SURE !!!!

I think you need to speed up your metabolism with eating and exercises... You can do it slowly... Lets say next week 800 - 1000 kcal per day and every 2 days a brisk walk for 20 - 30 minutes... 2. week 1200 - 1400 kcal / day and every 2 days a brisk walk for 20 - 30 minutes...

But you really need to change your eating habits. Please...

Cheers

Django
  • kellygray78
    Options
    Thanks djanjo for your help. I am feeling all those things and will really try the increase !! Just stuck in a rut :-(
    Thanks again, appreciate your advice.