Washing your workout clothes.... do you....

Options
When it comes to dry-fit, technical, or synthetic workout clothing, do you....

Launder it with your regular clothes or wash it separately with other like fabrics?
If you wash it separately, do you use the special soaps?
Do you dry it in the dryer or hang it out?
Do you avoid using dryer sheets?

Just curious what others do. I wash everything together (regular and workout), and haven't really seen any negative effects over the years.

Replies

• mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Washed with my darks like normal but hung up to dry.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I do laundry like your average man does...
    I separate darks, brights, towels, and whites.

Beyond that, you're asking for too much.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I wash everything together and I out them in the dryer provided the labels says that I can do so. I never use dryer sheets, I put white vinegar in the wash to soften all my clothing.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I throw everything in together (it's called laziness) and then dry it normally by hanging it out (I don't have a dryer so everything gets dried that way). I add a dash of vinegar to the wash when I find helps stuff stay fresh longer when I wear it. I've never heard of a dryer sheet so I'm guessing I avoid them.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

haha me too!!!
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    I wash it separately with things I wear around the house like other tees, sweat pants, tights, etc. And I use the Tide Sport detergent that comes with Febreze. If something I work out in is thrown in with like a regular load of laundry, I use my regular detergent and call it a day. As for drying, some things I don't like leaving in the dryer like my yoga pants or any other stretchy, static-ish material. Usually I hang my bottoms to dry and put the tops in the dryer.
  • Cockrela
    Cockrela Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband washes dry-fit, technical, or synthetic workout clothing, together with regular clothes but he hangs drys they last longer.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a snob with laundry in general, and most of my techincal stuff is from Lululemon and their signature is Luon - it pills easily and gets abrasions. I separate all my techs from all of my other clothes and what not. I usually wash with cool water or warm (the hottest) depending on if it's particularly smell. All my techs are hung/air dry. :) I usually use method detergent but I'm curious as to how the Tide w/Febreeze gym detergent is. LOL
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but why no dryer sheet? And does vinegar help with static?

I live in a dry climate and if I don't use dryer sheets, I can't get the clothes apart.
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wash with regular stuff. I don't dry the tops though, I hang them up.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    ..i have trained my kids to do laundry..but I dont do anything special to the workout clothes...but then I am one of those freaks who doesnt really sweat no matter the temp outside..or how much I work out...but then i am also one of those freaks who has a blanket on during summer
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I hang all my workout pants out of fear that the dryer will make them too short.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

haha me too!!!

Thank God! I thought I was doing the reputation of our great sex a major disservice!! :-D
  • msarazine
    msarazine Posts: 65
    Options
    Too complicated: 2 loads, whites and everything else.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Everything together, cold water, with cold water detergent. Dry everything together, perm. press. if it doesn't survive these cycles, it was never meant to be owned by me.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options

huh, you're supposed to separate dark colors from bright colors?
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I usually throw everything together otherwise I'd have no life.

Probably will change as I've bought some lighter stuff this last week.

I do not dry Dri-Fit stuff. Shrinking would not be fun and I think would wear out the material much quicker.
  • DoBetterDrea
    DoBetterDrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wash my workout clothes with everything else and throw 'em in the dryer.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those lazy folks that doesn't sort their laundry [unless there's a new item in there that will bleed onto other stuff]...All goes in the same load & I use the Purex Complete 3 in 1 laundry sheets. *shrug*
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Work out clothes are their own load (and my swimsuit and gym towels go in that load, too), mostly because my going to work clothes for this time of year all get washed as delicate (because sweaters pill, and even my skirts for winter are sweaters. I'm not babying my work out clothes: I'm babying my other stuff.