Washing your workout clothes.... do you....

Options

Replies

• momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Cold water wash but into the dryer... doesn't make sense... but that's how I do everything...
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    When it comes to dry-fit, technical, or synthetic workout clothing, do you....

Launder it with your regular clothes or wash it separately with other like fabrics?
    If you wash it separately, do you use the special soaps?
    Do you dry it in the dryer or hang it out?
    Do you avoid using dryer sheets?

Just curious what others do. I wash everything together (regular and workout), and haven't really seen any negative effects over the years.

wash it with everything else. i wash everything in cold water (not sure if that's good or bad or doesn't matter)
    don't try any tech shirts or if i do put them in the dryer it's with no heat..... and never use fabric softner or dryer sheets on them
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    All my workout clothes go into a pre-wash tub with Tide sports detergent. I've found this step REALLY helps keep my clothes odor free and keep them in better shape. After the pre-rinse they go in the washer with cold water, with again, Tide sports detergent. No fabric softner either.

Anything I work out in gets air dried on hangers in the house. I NEVER put them in the dryer. Breaks down all the tech fabric, the elastic and destroys it faster than anything else. Learned this the hard way, so no more dryer for me!
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thats freakin awesome. I should try this one. lol
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Anything stretchy gets washed normally but hung to dry (if my husband notices it). My socks get washed seperately on a hot wash to avoid getting any fungus infection.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but why no dryer sheet? And does vinegar help with static?

I live in a dry climate and if I don't use dryer sheets, I can't get the clothes apart.

dryer sheets can leave a residue that ruins the quick dry finish.

I wash them regular in cold with a bit of vinegar. Not sure if it helps with static though.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I do laundry like your average man does...
    I separate darks, brights, towels, and whites.

Beyond that, you're asking for too much.
    This.
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Too complicated: 2 loads, whites and everything else.
    Thats freakin awesome. I should try this one. lol
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My gym washes my work out kit :smile:

The Dryfit kit washes up well, but some kit has been "cooked" by my gym's industrial driers.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I put all my workout clothes in the blue basket in my bedroom closet, and two days later, they reappear in my dresser drawer.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Wash together then hang dry.
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    I wash almost everything in cold water with like colors using Tide Free and Gentle and Downy fabric softener. Drying depends on the label on each particular item; however, most of them are on the Knits or Air Only setting, with them exception of the few that I hang to air dry.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I wash everything with liquid detergent and liquid fabric softener, then dry in the dryer with a dryer sheet....the only thing I've noticed is the starter logo came off, but the fabric is still like the day I bought the stuff.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I wash with the regular clothing, seperated by appropriate colors; however, not with things that could "catch" on the fabric like zippers. Then, I always hang to dry. The stuff is too expensive to replace.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I put all my workout clothes in the blue basket in my bedroom closet, and two days later, they reappear in my dresser drawer.

That is complete awesomeness. Where do I get one of those magic laundry baskets? I'm willing to put some serious peso's into purchasing that little gadget!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I do laundry like your average man does...
    I separate darks, brights, towels, and whites.

Beyond that, you're asking for too much.

i must be below average. i don't separate anything. i shove in as much as will fit into the washer, everything all together. :laugh:
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Workout clothes and swimsuits seperate and hung to dry. I own alot of lululemon and it pills if it is washed with towels etc...
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    6 cups water, 3 cups vinegar and 2 cups hair conditioner... Spray on a washcloth and throw it in the dryer. No static and better for the dryer vents... Doesn't cause a film like dryer sheets so no dryer fire :)
  • Robin_Jones
    Options
    My workout clothes are just maternity clothes that have shrunk in the wash already. They are also used to paint in, and go to the lake. They get washed with whatever they happen to be next to. I am lazy when it comes to laundry.
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Everything together, cold water, with cold water detergent. Dry everything together, perm. press. if it doesn't survive these cycles, it was never meant to be owned by me.

Exactly!!! I couldn't agree more!