Tea - water or no?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
I habitually drink 5-10 cups of green tea a day, every day. Now, I know caffiene can have diuretic effects which means it will actually dehydrate me if I have enough. However I still consume a large amount of water with every cup. So, do I count this in my 8 8fl oz glasses of water?

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    I habitually drink 5-10 cups of green tea a day, every day. Now, I know caffiene can have diuretic effects which means it will actually dehydrate me if I have enough. However I still consume a large amount of water with every cup. So, do I count this in my 8 8fl oz glasses of water?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I do...... but I only have 1 cup a day... max. Maybe count some of it towards it, and gently try to gear yourself towards having more plain water a day than tea.
  • msarro
    Options
    I actually drink the green tea for the health benefits inherent to it so my consumption will stay about the same. Sadly to really get the most out of green tea you have to drink a lot of it :frown:

I wonder if theres a decaffinated variety out there?

I'm mostly worried about over-consuming water since I try not to get very much salt in my diet.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    There might be! I think you can also get green tea capsules..... but if you're like me you won't really like taking your nutrients in capsule form, lol. Stick to the tea then and just up your water. If you're going to be working out a lot, you'll need the water anyway! I drink 2 glasses before, 1 during and 1-2 after a workout!

I didn't know it was possible to overconsume water?
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    mmm.... i also chug tea most of the day.... and i have been adding it to my water consumption....

since the amount of caffeine in green tea (15 mg) is pretty minimal - compared to a cup of coffee (85 mg) i would think it's not really an issue unless you are spending alot of time in the bathroom :smile:
  • msarro
    Options
    I know, I was shocked to find out too! Its actually one of the bigger dangers for marathon runners and cyclists. Its rare but it can happen... google water intoxication for more info. Basically it only becomes a big issue if you're working out a LOT and are drinking a ton of water constantly - think tour de france or NY Marathon sort of working out.
  • allisondollins
    Options
    You should not count ANYTHING that you drink as water if it is not water. I am a labor nurse and we are CONSTANTLY telling that to pregnant women. Drink 8 (8 ounce) glasses of water a day. Everything else is extra.

Allison
  • strongmom
    strongmom Posts: 72
    Options
    I think it does count. I count my tea, which some is caff and some is not, but I count it.
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about overconsuption of water. You have to drink 1-2 gallons within a few hours to be at risk. And the reason it is a problem is that it causes an imbalance in your ratio of water to electrolytes in your blood. So if you consume electrolytes at the same time you should be okay. But it is really hard to drink that much water, so most people will never have that issue.
  • InaBluMoon
    Options
    :happy: Just got info from my urologist. He said to count the green tea I drink-3-5 cups a day in my water allowance. I had an accident and my bladder was injured. It is doing well! He said the new thoughts are fluid is fluid.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    :happy: Just got info from my urologist. He said to count the green tea I drink-3-5 cups a day in my water allowance. I had an accident and my bladder was injured. It is doing well! He said the new thoughts are fluid is fluid.

ooooooo fractals...!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I drink lots of decaf green tea...TJ makes a good one and I've also seen several at my local A&P....one bran dis Aasian gourmet

Kim
  • twinsmommy
    Options
    I believe green tea is hydrating but not as much as water.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    You should not count ANYTHING that you drink as water if it is not water. I am a labor nurse and we are CONSTANTLY telling that to pregnant women. Drink 8 (8 ounce) glasses of water a day. Everything else is extra.

Allison

Are you completely sure????

What about a juice?
    What about a herbal infusion?
    What about green tea?

I'm not talking about sodas or coffee.

Sorry, but it sounds weird to me and I'm not pregnant. If I drink 2 cups of green tea, 2 herbal infusions, one cup of coffee and a glass of juice I still have to drink 2litres of water?!? It makes me drink TWICE as much as I should. Probably this is not good for my body as well.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Allison

Interesting, you (of course) are more tuned in then I am, but I just wanted to put forth what my doctor said to me. He said "if it's liquid, count it, unless it contains alcohol." I saw an article on webmd somewhere, let me see if I can find it, about this subject.

here, I found it.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/quest-for-hydration

Of course, I know nothing about the body of pregnent women so this could be not true in that case...:tongue:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options

I didn't know it was possible to overconsume water?

Yes, actually it is possible to drink too much water. But is rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    Lipton also makes a natural decaf green tea

http://www.liptont.com/our_products/green_tea/grn_natural_decaf.asp
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I actually drink the green tea for the health benefits inherent to it so my consumption will stay about the same. Sadly to really get the most out of green tea you have to drink a lot of it :frown:

I wonder if theres a decaffinated variety out there?

I'm mostly worried about over-consuming water since I try not to get very much salt in my diet.

Yes, there is decaf green tea out there. We drink it when we're not feeling well at night.
  • honeybee71
    Options
    my goal every day is to drink plenty of fluids. I try to make most of them non-caloric & non-caffienated. (think sprite zero, crystal light,) I also drink 2 large coffee's per day and possibly a diet pepsi or cup of chai tea with splenda of course. I have heard conflicting stories of late, but my physician, and the dietitans that I work with (all 5 of them) all agree that water is the #1 way to hydrate.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I love green tea and white tee, diet and sugar free and the chrystal light. I feel for ya, I've never had that problem.... and I mix it with 8-16 oz bottles

I hope you can find a fix.