Pregnancy and Exercise?

Options
Okay Guys, so I just found out today, I'm 5 weeks pregnant and well.... I guess I'm a bit worried. My last pregnancy there were some complications and the pregnancy ended in still birth at 23 weeks. I was not active at that point in my life. Currently, I workout 6 days a week at varying intensity levels (more high intensity then lower intensity). I also strength train and take a lot of classes at my gym. I will also be inquiring with a doctor about all this, but in the mean time, I'm coming to you guys!!
What is and isn't safe regarding exercise during pregnancy? Are high intensity workouts risky? Should I have any concerns?? I have zero intention to quit exercising, but where do I take it from here? I love running- I was planning on entering the races this summer and am currently training to increase my speed.
What were your pregnancy and exercise experiences??? What advice, knowledge, experiences can you share with me?
Thanks in advance everyone

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    While I have not been pregnant and don't plan to be, conventional wisdom seems to be keep on doing what you're doing. If your body is already used to exercise, theres no reason to drop everything and lie in bed, in fact carrying on strength training can help in your delivery and recovery. I read that women who squat tend to hold their bladders better after giving birth cause the pelvic floor is stronger.

Edited to add, while it seems pretty cool to carry on what you're doing, it doesn't necessarily mean to go on a drastic increase in training. You can do almost everything pregnant that you can do unpregnant (this word should exist), but don't go overboard and taper off toward the end and follow docs orders if he tells you to cool it due to pregnancy complications.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Some people will advise you to keep your heart rate relatively low (140 I think?) but more importantly listen to your body! You'll know when you've pushed too hard.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Typically you can continue what you've done prepregnancy. My first pregnancy I took a healthy pregnancy class and they reccommended to use the "talk method". You should be able to carry on a conversation while doing your cardio. Given your history, definately talk to your doctor. He/she might want you to take it easy.
    Both my pregnancies I had to stop running pretty early due to round ligament pains, but I was able to keep up walking/low impact cardio up until almost the end, and this second one I kept strength training as well; I just didn't increase my weights too much.
  • BeFitMom
    BeFitMom Posts: 17
    Options
    The advisory to limit HR to 140 BPM was lifted way back in 2002, so don't worry if your HR goes above that. As long as you do not pass your anaerobic threshold (no panting, or trouble speaking normally) you're in a good training zone.

During pregnancy you want to maintain your fitness level, not seek to increase it. So up until 20 weeks gestation (when the placenta stops growing) you can maintain your current level of intensity in your cardio workouts. From that point on, you'll need to slowly taper down the intensity of your workouts.

Also, you'll notice that in the last half of pregnancy, that your joints feel looser, due to the pregnancy hormones relaxin and elaxin. This leaves you more vulnerable to injury. Pregnant women should switch to low/non impact activities to protect their joints. Never run on uneven terrain, or downhill, (this places places too much stress on the Anterior Cruciate Ligament of the knee.)

The postural alignment changes of pregnancy cause specific muscle groups to weaken and you should focus on maintaining strength in these:
    Gluteals; buttocks
    Abdominals: more details given below
    Upper back extensors
    Low and mid fibers of the trapezius
    External rotators of the shoulder girdle
    Serratus anterior; scapular depression

Opposing muscle groups tend to tighten up, and you should work to maintain flexibility here:
    The hip flexors, or iliopsoas
    The thighs, particularly the long muscle of the thigh, the rectus femoris
    Deep muscles of the lower back quadratus lumborum
    The pectorals; chest muscles
    The internal rotators and elevators of the shoulders: the rhomboids, levator scapulae, and the upper fibers of trapezius

To prevent or lessen the severity of diastasis recti (abdominal separation) during pregnancy, all pregnant women should strengthen the deepest abdominal muscle, the Transverse Abdominis, or TvA. This is our body’s internal “girdle” and when contracted, compresses the abdomen. Like pelvic floor muscles, the TvA does not move bone.

TvA strength during pregnancy also helps to prevent back pain and pelvic instability, and because it is the primary expulsion muscle, greatly aids in labor and delivery.

BeFit-Mom
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    @ BeFitMom- Thanks so much!! Very Helpful!