Week 3 no weight loss, help!

Options
I'm very new to all this and have only been a MFP member for 3 weeks. I was thrilled when I lost over half a stone (7.5 pounds) over the first two weeks but have lost nothing this week. I am eating and exercising at the same sort of levels I was in the first two weeks. Is thios normal, have any of you had the same thing? Will I start losing again soon?

Replies

• JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You will "Plateau" at times, don't worry, stick with it and you'll see results

2272382.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ririwhitepaws
    ririwhitepaws Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I didn't realise that you could plateau so early on. Feeling disheartened.
  • KatieLauren19
    Options
    It is common to come to a stale-mate. It could be that you're turning fat into lean muscle. That could be a cause, or your body is at a stand still. When this happened to me I went to my doctor and I had a metabolism test done (just a quick blood draw). He came back to me 2 days later and informed me I was eating too few calories for the amount of exercise I was doing on a weekly basis. I upped my caloric intake and I started loosing weight quickly! Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it was all water retention at the beginning.
    Just stick to it and it will come along.
    Just remember to try to keep positive. These things take time. And it won't always reflect on the scale how your fitness level is changing.
  • ririwhitepaws
    ririwhitepaws Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, the thought of eating more calories worries me even though I understand the principle. I am frequently below my net intake but not ridiculously so.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I think increasing your calorie intake might be key. If you're working out, you need those extra calories. If your body is not getting enough fuel, weightloss will stall.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    No weight loss for one week is not a plateau, just a normal variation. Don't be surprised if this happens now and again even if you're doing the same things. The most helpful thing for me was to chart my weight loss each weight and over a few months I could see a pattern of regular losses with an occasional gain.
    Keep up the good work - just make sure to eat enough, cutting calories too low seems like a good idea in the short term but can backfire in the long term.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It is normal to drop a good amount of weight when you start dieting and many times you won't lose anything for a week or two. But losing 7.5lbs in three weeks is very good, so that's 2.5lbs a week.

Most nutritionist say to aim for 1-2lbs a week and will tell you that the faster you lose weight the more likely it come back on quicker and then will also be more added fat than you had before.

I would also take your measurements because many times I haven't any lost weight, but I've lost inches.

I think you're doing a fantastic job!!!!!
  • bethhyg
    bethhyg Posts: 209
    Options
    Let your body recuperate. Next week, I bet there will be a loss. Sometimes it just takes it a while to show up on the scale.

Week #1 I lost 4 lbs
    Week #2 I lost 1/2 lb (very disappointed it was just 1/2 a pound) but the next week it showed up.
    Week #3 I lost 2.5 lbs
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also suggest taking measurements and don't watch the scale so much. My weight has stayed the same for the last 10 weeks bt I've lost 10% body Fat and lost 8 inches overall. I'm down a size too and I definitely look different. However, if I just looked at the scale I'd be pretty depressed