What kind of olive oil is best?

Options
2»

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm.....now I am craving for strawberries and bananas dipped in Chocolate fondue!!!!...YIKES!

Haha! I was talking oil fondue.....so now I am wanting to break out my fondue pots the peanut oil and some yummy meat to cook in it!
    But now thanks I am craving chocolate fondue....but with angel food cake dipped in it!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention, extra virgin oil has a VERY strong flavor compared to pure or virgin oil. Your oil may not be bad, it may just be that it's a very different flavor than you were expecting.

Also, different countries use different varieties of olives, which can also have a huge effect on extra virgin flavor.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    We should all just get together and have a BIG FONDUE PARTY.....BYOE~ this is, Bring your own edibles...LOL
  • 7funnygirl7
    Options
    Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention, extra virgin oil has a VERY strong flavor compared to pure or virgin oil. Your oil may not be bad, it may just be that it's a very different flavor than you were expecting.
    I think I am still trying to convert from vegetable oils...
  • modernmom70
    Options

Also, different countries use different varieties of olives, which can also have a huge effect on extra virgin flavor.

True That! Also what the temperature in that country is too....it can also affect the nutrients warm climate vs colder
  • modernmom70
    Options
    We should all just get together and have a BIG FONDUE PARTY.....BYOE~ this is, Bring your own edibles...LOL

Love it that's what we did new years....I have a freakish amount of fondue pots! So we had cheese, oil, broth and chocolate!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think I am still trying to convert from vegetable oils...
    Oh yes, vegetable oils are so squeaky clean and ultra refined that they lack in flavor at all. Not a bad thing for cooking, but not the healthiest. In that case, I'd recommend safflower oil. It's a very clear, almost flavorless oil, and actually has a very similar nutritional profile to olive oil, I use it a lot to make mayonnaise from scratch, and it's great for pan sautéing, it actually has a higher smoke point than peanut oil.

So I'd start there, and then work your way up to olive oil, as it does take a bit of getting used to flavor-wise if you haven't grown up with it.
  • 7funnygirl7
    Options
    Wowwwwy..Who knew there was so much info on little old oil?????~ Now I do!! Thanks again to all you oil/butter/fondue lovers!!
  • bakerlakisha
    Options
    Bertrolli is what i use but i was in a health clinic and the health news was on and they said the best oil to use was vegatable oil. I couldn't believe it. I will not use it I have been using extra virgin olive oil for about 2 years and i will not change it. I don't use it much because i don't cook on top of my stove im usally baking but extra virgin olive oil is the best.
  • JayBeeGo
    JayBeeGo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've used Belazu Arbequina for quite a while. It has a slight almond flavour which appeals to me. I saw it recommended on a few sites along with a few other makes.

I've no idea what your national regulations are regarding labelling but in many countries 'Extra Virgin Olive Oil' on a bottle doesn't necessarily count for very much.
    The contents and processing may well nominally qualify but the quality of the ingredients by all accounts can and do vary dramatically, just like most other things.
    One comment I recall were that some of the major supermarket own brands, which typically can be relatively inexpensive, were not well regarded - make of that what you wish.

EVOO is highly regarded provided moderation is observed - lots of calories.
  • modernmom70
    Options
    Wowwwwy..Who knew there was so much info on little old oil?????~ Now I do!! Thanks again to all you oil/butter/fondue lovers!!

I know....you will find this about everything food...the deeper you look sometimes the more conflicting it gets! As long as your eating whole foods what kind they are doesn't matter. You could spend so much time researching the benefits of one good food against another! Off to have some Fondue!